Author Topic: Leaving the bathroom door open.  (Read 3380 times)

Camarynne

• Nowadays, friendship is global. :)
Leaving the bathroom door open.
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
My fiancee and I are renting part of a house from a (female)friend of hers. We just moved in two days ago. They have known each other for years. We just met, however. Earlier, I was in the bedroom and owner casually went into the bathroom right down the hall, and used it...leaving the door open. I felt a little awkward. What if I had needed to pass by? We are renting the downstairs but have full house-sharing privileges and are temporarily staying upstairs while our area is being painted. We all get along wonderfully and the arrangement is very casual. Is this little detail just something I should ignore? Wave and smile as I walk by?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Truth, my friend, is somewhere out there, just waiting to be released.
But before you embark on your great endeavor, know that you'll never return to peace.
-- Charles Edward Jaggard

Isisnin

Re: Leaving the bathroom door open.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:54:28 AM »
Probably a habit friend picked up from living alone.  Ideally, your Fiancee should say something to her friend upon experiencing the open door herself.  That may also save face for the friend as she may not know that you saw her with the open door.

In the meantime, should you happen upon the open door again, put yours hand to your eyes while exclaiming "Excuse me!  I'll wait until you're finished." then go back the way you came.  when she leaves the bathroom, then go about your business. 

rain

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
cough, cough .... I'd let her know if makes you uncomfortable then work together to find a solution

(that being said - I couldn't live with someone who left the door open while they "did their business" )
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Cami

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »
I had a roommate once who did that. I simply asked her if she could shut the door as it made me very uncomfortable. She said sure. Problem solved.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
Isisnin is right.  If your housemate is used to living alone, she probably doesn't even realize that what she's doing makes you uncomfortable. 

A simple and quiet mention should be enough to fix the situation to everyone's satisfaction. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »
Just say something.

This is not a big deal, don't let it become one. And you are a full roommate, so you do NOT need your fiancé to be the go-between.

Just say, at some point very soon, "Oh, hey--I noticed the other day you didn't close the bathroom door. Now that we're living here, I'd really appreciate it if you would--it squicks me out, even if we are both girls."

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »
What Toots said.  I think that she probably feels that 'Hey, we're all women here' and may have grown up with a casual approach.

Cosmasia

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
I'd just bring it up.
Personally I find it rude of people to do that when they're sharing space with someone that hasn't explicitly stated that they are fine with it.
Doesn't really matter if they share gender identity, blood or are in an intimate relationship.

I used to live with my older sister and she sometimes left the door open and even talked to me if I was in the tiny hallway right outside the bathroom.
I never said anything to her because I was/am too shy and such, but it always made me uncomfortable and I felt like I couldn't leave my room until she was done, because the bathroom door was right outside my own door. While I should have brought it up, I find it extremely rude that she never once asked me if it was okay to basically share the sounds, visuals and smells of her bathroom visits with me and our apartment.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:57:41 PM by Cosmasia »
Da hun kom tilbage, havde hun hundrede ting at fortælle.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
I can loan you Babybartfast - she'll burst in on you in the bathroom to lecture you that you should have locked the door  ::)

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:22:16 PM »
I've taught hubby that he needs to leave the door open a few inches, so that the cats can get in when they want.  If you don't leave it partially open, they've learned to open the door by putting their weight on it, and now the door is open all the way.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:03:46 AM »
I've seen people refuse to close the doors in public stalls, and this was in an expensive department store. I asked politely if she could close the door and she refused.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:46 AM »

My husband closes the door for me from the outside.

(I generally close the door. I used to close it only partly, bcs the cat could claw at it if I didn't, and after 17 years I found it a hard habit to break once she died. But I usually push it behind me, and sometimes it doesn't go closed and I'm in a REAL hurry.)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:27 AM »
Say something now before this grosses you out more.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Syfygeek

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »
I went to visit cousins and found out they are a "door open" family by walking by the occupied restroom, and the teenage son looked up from his magazine and spoke.

OP, good luck.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

msulinski

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I can loan you Babybartfast - she'll burst in on you in the bathroom to lecture you that you should have locked the door  ::)

I agree with Babybartfast