Author Topic: No, I am not "faking" an injury  (Read 8197 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: No, I am not "faking" an injury
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
I am angry on your behalf, OP

I am, too.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
Thank you for all the replies! (also WOOHOO 100 posts!)

My boss is behind me 100%, and she has spoken to the people who have complained directly, telling them that she wasn't aware they were surgeons and thanking them for their medical opinions.

Because this is such a small community, I see these people every day whether I am working or not. Joking back is risky because there are a few people in town to take great offense at my being appointed a supervisor in "their" town, as I am new-ish here. I am also a different ethnic background from 85% of the town, and this has been a factor before. Many of the same customers who complain that I am lazy have also addressed me as *ethnicity*-girl. So to avoid starting any arguments, I think I will continue with complete silence, and the occasional "how kind of you to take an interest". I just hope I can pull it off without coming across as aggressive.

((((((((TaurusGirl)))))))))

LeveeWoman

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »

My boss is behind me 100%, and she has spoken to the people who have complained directly, telling them that she wasn't aware they were surgeons and thanking them for their medical opinions.

Because this is such a small community, I see these people every day whether I am working or not. Joking back is risky because there are a few people in town to take great offense at my being appointed a supervisor in "their" town, as I am new-ish here. I am also a different ethnic background from 85% of the town, and this has been a factor before. Many of the same customers who complain that I am lazy have also addressed me as *ethnicity*-girl. So to avoid starting any arguments, I think I will continue with complete silence, and the occasional "how kind of you to take an interest". I just hope I can pull it off without coming across as aggressive.

It's time to turn it over to your boss.

You are being harassed based on your ethnicity.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »
that's terrible! I am shocked that people will actually go to your boss.

I wouldn't joke about it. I would go with silence. OR i might say (to those who threaten to go to my boss) "sure. Sue is in her office, right up those stairs."

Yeah, I'd consider saying "Be my guest" and point to where they can find your boss or whoever's the shift manager at the time.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

HonorH

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
"Boss is aware of my injury and supports my recovery but I'll be happy to page him/her if you'd like to make a complaint." Then reach for the phone with a "Shall I?"

Nine times out of ten they're going to back down (although probably still be a jerk about it) and not bring it up again. That tenth person can get set straight by the boss.

I'd go with this. If Boss isn't there, supply them with an excess of information on how to get ahold of him. Do it with a smile.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

greencat

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 12:54:34 AM »
"My injury was very serious and the recovery from surgery is taking much longer than I'd hoped," as a response to the "milking the injury" comments.

"Actually, I'd love to tell my boss about what you're saying to me.  Boss doesn't take kindly to people calling me (racial slur) and calling me lazy because of my medical condition," for those that are being bigots and calling you lazy. 

Aquamarine

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
"Boss is aware of my injury and supports my recovery but I'll be happy to page him/her if you'd like to make a complaint." Then reach for the phone with a "Shall I?"

Nine times out of ten they're going to back down (although probably still be a jerk about it) and not bring it up again. That tenth person can get set straight by the boss.

POD.  Totally do this, make them own it!  If they're going to say it they need to own it and part of that would be speaking with the person in charge in they feel something egregious has happened.  They can't accuse you of being rude, after all you are only accommodating their statement.

Serious fist pumps.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Iris

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »

It's time to turn it over to your boss.

You are being harassed based on your ethnicity.

This. I lived in a small country town for a while where there was also a successful couple who didn't fit into the town's usual mould. Although70% of the town were happy to have them, and 20% probably didn't like it but didn't care enough to do anymore than make the occasional private grumble, the remaining 10% made it unpleasant enough that they eventually left the town. This level of hatefulness from a small number of people having such a large effect made me mad enough to spit nails.

I'm so glad your boss has your back. I would continue to be completely professional and simply go with "My duties have been worked out in consultation with my employer and my doctor. Thank you for your interest." for the most persistent.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
If I were a store's manager and someone jumped on one of my employees in a racist manner, that person would be eighty-sixed immediately.

mmswm

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
I agree with the suggestions to smile and offer to page your manager right then and there.

I do have some inkling as to how you feel.  I've been accused of faking a food allergy.  Apparently I'm such a good actor that I can fake swelling and oxygen saturations below 80%.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cheyne

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »
First ((hugs)) even though you didn't ask for them.  From your OP and update you are a supervisor at your job.  The job of a supervisor is to direct the flow of work, not necessarily do the work.

I experienced something similar but it was not due to differing ethnicity.  I've been a woman doing a "man's" job for over 25 years.  In these type of situations it seems you must be at 110% at all times to be thought of as half as good.

You say it's a small town.  Are some of the complaints by people who are related to your subordinates?  If you have been doing not only your supervisory duties plus the "grunt work" duties until your injury, perhaps some of your subordinates are grumbling at home.  People do get used to others doing more work so they can do less.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »
Would "cut and paste" work for you?

The same phrase, over and over?

The only *acceptable thing* for them to actually be saying is, "wow, you're still not back to full function? What a bummer!"  (for *some* of them, that may be what they mean; for the others, you can sort of politely "coach" them)

So pretend that's what they said. 

Say, in the tone that implies you're agreeing with them: "Yes, it's still healing. Bummer, huh?"

Or, "Yeah, it is taking a really long time."

And if you pick one that feels natural for you, then just stick with it with every single customer. Pretty soon they'll figure out that they never get any response, and maybe they'll fade out on the commenting.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »
I would not make any kind of joke about it. Their rudeness is not funny. The only response that I would give would be, "I am following my doctor's instructions and do not appreciate you stating that I am faking or milking my injury. If you are unhappy with my service please feel free to discuss it with my manager."

This.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
I did have another thought, but it might be a bit too much. You say you are of a different ethnicity than most of the people in your town. What if you had a conversation like this?

BigJerk: "Are you still milking that injury thing? Are you that lazy that you're afraid to work?"

OP (with a puzzled expression): "I'm sorry...is that something people of your culture do? In my culture we take care of ourselves and follow doctor's orders, but we don't fake injuries to get out of working. That's just something I could never consider, as my people aren't raised to think that way."

Too much? I dunno...it would certainly give them pause to think about what they are saying.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »

"That's an interesting assumption."

"It's heartwarming to know that people in this town are so concerned about the speed of my recovery. Thank you."

"My boss will be in tomorrow at 9 AM if you wish to address your concerns with him/her."

"Excuse me? Did you really just accuse me of faking my injury?"

"Thanks, but I'll take the advice my doctor gave me; no offense, but I don't think you're qualified to advise on my recovery."

Also, I think if you are getting racists comments it's OK to refuse to serve them. But you'd better discuss that with your boss. It's certainly not something you should have to tolerate.