Author Topic: No, I am not "faking" an injury  (Read 8236 times)

Redsoil

Re: No, I am not "faking" an injury
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:03 AM »
Perhaps simply look at them, no smile, and say "I really hope YOU never have to deal with something like this.  Believe me, it's more frustrating for me than it is for you."  Other than that, you may have to just ignore them - they're being petty and showing their ignorance of complicated injuries and their healing rate.

Good luck with it all.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

girlmusic

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
I had a radial head replacement of my left elbow three months ago. I can do most things, but have been taking it easy as much as possible. The temperature here has dropped and with it my pain has increased. My surgeon warned me that I would become a barometer!

Maybe baby yourself a little more throughout the day - don't work so hard in the morning that you are in pain by the afternoon. Also, I agree with the others. Wear a sling, if not just for your own reminder, but as a reminder to others that you are not recovered yet.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
"I hope you never have an injury like this, because then you will look back and see how cruel you were to someone who is 4 months into a 12 month recovery.  If you don't believe me, look up "XYZ surgery"  on the internet and see what it says about recovery time. "

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »
I'm also going with the PP who advise you to wear a sling for part of the day, both to remind yourself to not overexert your arm, but also to show the customers that you are not fully healed.

"I'm going to follow my doctor's advice, since he has a medical degree", strongly implying that they don't.

or
"Wow, when did you get a medical license?  Are you going to open a doctor's office in town soon?"  Hmmmm, that might be too snarky.

DistantStar

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 01:47:17 PM »
I would offer to let them speak to the boss - people tend to back off if you make that offer, at least in my experience.  You're obviously not scared of anything happening or hiding anything if you step up with that before they can (as they see it) threaten you by asking to.

dawbs

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
I'm in the "please, be my guest to speak to boss about it" camp myself.

I supervise people and I tell them to do this all the time...people who will give them a hard time for day 1 won't say "boo" to me--not for any *good* reason, but because I have, in theory, a little more authority.  And because they're being told, however round-about, that the employee doesn't fear the boss, doesn't fear reprisal, and is certain he or she is standing in the right.

(And I refer people to my boss for the same reason--that and because I'm mentally just BEGGING for some of these people to go to the boss, and for me to be a fly on the wall when boss [politely] fillets them alive and sends them on their way)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »
OP, I would stick with something like "I am following my doctor's orders and my boss is aware of it.  If you'd like to speak with Boss I'll call him/her for you."

Hugs on the recovery.

wyliefool

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
Thank you for all the replies! (also WOOHOO 100 posts!)

My boss is behind me 100%, and she has spoken to the people who have complained directly, telling them that she wasn't aware they were surgeons and thanking them for their medical opinions.

Because this is such a small community, I see these people every day whether I am working or not. Joking back is risky because there are a few people in town to take great offense at my being appointed a supervisor in "their" town, as I am new-ish here. I am also a different ethnic background from 85% of the town, and this has been a factor before. Many of the same customers who complain that I am lazy have also addressed me as *ethnicity*-girl. So to avoid starting any arguments, I think I will continue with complete silence, and the occasional "how kind of you to take an interest". I just hope I can pull it off without coming across as aggressive.

It's time to turn it over to your boss.

You are being harassed based on your ethnicity.

This. I lived in a small country town for a while where there was also a successful couple who didn't fit into the town's usual mould. Although70% of the town were happy to have them, and 20% probably didn't like it but didn't care enough to do anymore than make the occasional private grumble, the remaining 10% made it unpleasant enough that they eventually left the town. This level of hatefulness from a small number of people having such a large effect made me mad enough to spit nails.

I'm so glad your boss has your back. I would continue to be completely professional and simply go with "My duties have been worked out in consultation with my employer and my doctor. Thank you for your interest." for the most persistent.

I lived in a very small town for a while. It was miserable. All those myths about how 'nice' ppl in the country are? Hah! Lies!

I'm very sorry to have to say that if you're in rural America then this attitude will never go away. You could live in this town for 50 years and you'll still be the outsider. In my case, the hostility died down a bit--was redirected, to be more accurate--when some Mexicans moved in. Whatever our faults, we were at least white.  ::)  I felt so bad for them. Just hard-working people who needed a place to live. We got the H out.

It gives me an evil sort of joy knowing that there are a couple of Mexican restaurants in the area now because the population has grown that much. The bigots must be miserable.  >:D  Hopefully there's also safety in numbers for the newcomers.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »
Oh honey! *big hugs* I had to have major knee surgery when I was a teenager. My kneecap shattered in a car wreck and it took me a year and a half to get back to normal - ie walking, running and jumping without any pain whatsoever. That leg still bothers me off and on. It's amazing how rude people were when they heard I was still on crutches or using a wheelchair several months after surgery.

The best thing you can do, OP, is to lather, rinse and repeat your explanation. It's a sad thing that people are so lacking in empathy in situations where you can't help them RIGHT NOW with Something Very Important.

EvilTARDIS says show them the photos of your surgery. >:D (I kid, I kid!)

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

BarensMom

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
OP, please allow me to also give you some gentle hugs.  Just like TARDIS, I had surgery back in 2011 for my back and it's taken me a long time to recover enough to start moving again.  Over the past 1+ year, people have said things like, "Aren't you over that yet?" or even "For God's sake, get over it already!"  My response is "Why don't you get back to me after you've had two discs cut and your spinal column cut and patched and we'll talk."