General Etiquette > Life...in general

"I'm good" again

<< < (2/14) > >>

JenJay:
My 12yo DD says this all the time. I always respond "Does that mean 'yes, please' or 'no thanks'?"  ;D

perpetua:
Whenever anyone says 'I'm good' I want to add '...at what?' As an expression it makes no sense.

'I'm fine (thanks)' works better and conveys the correct meaning although I agree that the thanks is often implied.

JenJay:

--- Quote from: perpetua on January 19, 2013, 02:45:40 PM ---Whenever anyone says 'I'm good' I want to add '...at what?' As an expression it makes no sense.

'I'm fine (thanks)' works better and conveys the correct meaning although I agree that the thanks is often implied.

--- End quote ---

That reminded me, occasionally when DD says it I'll have a bit of fun with her and say "Sometimes, but other times you're pretty bad. Anyway, did you want *thing*?"  :P

helixa:
I've tended to use it when declining wine as some people are more insistent on offering it, but I'd usually say "I'm good thanks" with a hand over the glass.

I don't see it as impolite in general though the tone can make a difference.

gellchom:

--- Quote from: helixa on January 19, 2013, 04:09:04 PM ---I've tended to use it when declining wine as some people are more insistent on offering it, but I'd usually say "I'm good thanks" with a hand over the glass.

I don't see it as impolite in general though the tone can make a difference.

--- End quote ---

As I said in the OP, "I'm good, thanks" is fine.  It's the omission of the "thanks" that I think sounds a bit less than gracious.  The same people wouldn't just say "no," they'd say, "no, thanks."

I honestly don't understand how "thank you" is implied with "I'm good," when it is not with "no."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version