Author Topic: "I'm good" again  (Read 6587 times)

gellchom

"I'm good" again
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
Does anyone else dislike the use of "I'm good" when declining an offer of something?  As in:

"Would you like some more coffee?"
"I'm good."

I don't understand why people think that "I'm good" is a polite substitute for "No, thank you" or "No, thanks."  Sometimes it even sounds less like a gracious decline than a curt rebuff.

(I resist the temptation to say, "I'm glad to hear it.  And would you like more coffee?")

I get that it communicates that they don't want the coffee.  But it does not communicate any acknowledgment that the person offered them something, just an announcement of their own satisfaction, coffee-wise.   :)  Okay, that's obviously not the problem!  What's actually wrong is that they aren't expressing any gratitude for the offer.  Which is what polite people do when either accepting or declining something.

It was so easy to teach our kids this.  We just treated it like that was the words you use from the time they were tiny.  "Thusnelda, would you like an apple?  Yesplease or nothankyou?"

In my opinion, "I'm good" is just as rude as plain "No." "I'm good, thanks" is okay.

I wonder how omitting the thanks got started, and why people who would never just say "no" without "thanks" think "I'm good" without "thanks" is okay?

(ETA bolding to clarify the point of the objection.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:06:56 PM by gellchom »

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: "I'm good" again
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
I think the thanks is usually implied -- at least it is when I've said, it, and from the tone of voice that seems to be how other people intend it.  It's so common I've never thought of it as being rude, and I've never seen anyone react to it as if it were rude. 

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
I tend to prioritize the spirit in which something was said rather than the precise phrasing.  I also really enjoy having a variety of ways to express something ranging from casual to formal.  The way someone speaks gives me some insight into their personality, it can be an indicator of how comfortable they feel with me and it can also be a great way to pick up some new phrases.  I tend to have a high tolerance for language and how people express themselves.

Reading e-hell, I've seen a number of threads about how people interpret different phrases like "no problem", "ma'am", "you guys", "have a good one" etc. and I've seen that each one can be offensive to someone.  It makes for interesting reading, but it can give me the sense - sometimes - that even with the best of intentions and a seemingly innocuous phrase you can offend (or just irritate the tar out of) someone.  It's a bit too much like having my language micromanaged and I far prefer my language to be free range  ;D  Within reason, of course!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »
Well, for starters, I've often heard "No thanks; I'm good."  ;D

But anyway, this is generally used, in my experience, in really informal situations where you know the person really well. I think it could start to feel stilted if you only used the most formal phrasing of anything with, say, your husband or your BFF.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
Generally I don't really see a difference between the long-hand and short-hand versions so it doesn't bother me. If it bothers you not to receive a specifically worded response, I would suggest stop offering. You can't demand gratitude. In some instances, I would not feel I owed a thank you. Some offers can also been seen as PA slights, "Do you want to borrow a comb? Would you like a breath mint? Shall I wash some dishes for you?..."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
My 12yo DD says this all the time. I always respond "Does that mean 'yes, please' or 'no thanks'?"  ;D

perpetua

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:45:40 PM »
Whenever anyone says 'I'm good' I want to add '...at what?' As an expression it makes no sense.

'I'm fine (thanks)' works better and conveys the correct meaning although I agree that the thanks is often implied.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
Whenever anyone says 'I'm good' I want to add '...at what?' As an expression it makes no sense.

'I'm fine (thanks)' works better and conveys the correct meaning although I agree that the thanks is often implied.

That reminded me, occasionally when DD says it I'll have a bit of fun with her and say "Sometimes, but other times you're pretty bad. Anyway, did you want *thing*?"  :P

helixa

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
I've tended to use it when declining wine as some people are more insistent on offering it, but I'd usually say "I'm good thanks" with a hand over the glass.

I don't see it as impolite in general though the tone can make a difference.

gellchom

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 04:50:26 PM »
I've tended to use it when declining wine as some people are more insistent on offering it, but I'd usually say "I'm good thanks" with a hand over the glass.

I don't see it as impolite in general though the tone can make a difference.

As I said in the OP, "I'm good, thanks" is fine.  It's the omission of the "thanks" that I think sounds a bit less than gracious.  The same people wouldn't just say "no," they'd say, "no, thanks."

I honestly don't understand how "thank you" is implied with "I'm good," when it is not with "no."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:00:06 PM by gellchom »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
So long as you add 'Thanks, but' or, 'No thanks', I think 'I'm good' is just fine. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »
I view this one as a trendy expression that might irk you rather than an actual rudeness. I think it's just shorthand and has an implied "thank you" in it.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »
Pod DottyG.

Tone has a lot to do with it but if "I'm good" can no longer be accepted as a response....oy!  I think sometimes these are more pet peeves than actual rudeness.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »
I agree with OP. "I'm good" instead of "No thank you" ranks right up there with "No problem" as a response to "Thanks." (I never thought it was a problem, I was just thanking you. How about "You're welcome" instead?)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »
I don't really mind "no problem" either. It's not that major of a deal for me.