Author Topic: Spin off dinner/supper time.  (Read 1170 times)

NestHolder

Re: Spin off dinner/supper time.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »
If it's a big meal, it's dinner.  If it's a small meal, and we had our main meal at lunch time, it's supper.

I don't call my lunchtime meal 'dinner', only lunch, but I've known it to be called dinner.  I'm in the UK, and I suspect there are all kinds of arcane class divisions about who calls which meal by which name.

snowdragon

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
I call mine "Avondeten".  >:D  ;)  (avond = evening , eten = food, meal)

When I speak English, though, I go with "supper". But when people say "dinner" I can usually see from the context whether they mean "noon dinner" or "evening dinner".

Most Americans I chat with call what's eaten at noon "lunch" and what's eaten in the evening "dinner".
Thank you!
What language is this, Please? I'd like to learn more about it - languages are a passion of mine

It's Dutch! I live in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium.

Ontbijt is Dutch for breakfast, by the way.
For what we eat at noon, we might use "middagmaal" (mid day meal) or use the word lunch just like in English.
We've borrowed the word "brunch", too.

The words "diner" and "souper" (from French) are sometimes still used in Dutch for formal occasions.

Rohanna

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »
Round here, for the most part, it's family "supper" and formal "dinner". So I'll call my family to the table when supper is ready, but we'll invite people over for Thanksgiving Dinner, or sometimes my husband will line up a sitter and take me to a nice dinner out. It's not set it stone like that, and if you interchanged the words everyone would know exactly what you meant- but for most people dinner is used in the formal tone.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »
"Call me anything you like, just don't call me late for lunch."
 :D

dinner is the standard name here.  Sunday dinner is after church,  all other days, a dinner party is an evening meal. 

"Where shall we go for dinner?"

A meal at home might be, "hey, what's for supper?"

So, supper is home, and dinner is away??
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Emmy

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
I never grew up having an early Sunday 'dinner'.  We'd just have a small lunch after church and eat dinner in the evening like any other night.  It seems an early Sunday dinner is quite popular.  Even on holidays our family ate dinner at 5:30 or 6:00 p.m.

We always called the evening meal 'dinner' and the afternoon meal 'lunch'. without regards to formality  My family members have thrown in the word 'supper' once in a while, but we ordinarily refer to it as dinner.  When my family used 'supper', they used it interchangeably with dinner, it didn't mean a smaller or less formal meal.