General Etiquette > Holidays

Duplicate Gift - Offer to take back?

(1/2) > >>

lilblu:
I gave someone a Christmas gift and as it turns out, they had just recently purchased the same item for themselves. Am I supposed to offer to take it back/exchange it? I can't actually return it, so I would be stuck with it. I can buy another similar item for around the same price I paid, but it's not going to be as nice because I got a huge discount the first time and now I won't.

In case anyone is wondering, we exchanged Christmas gifts very late this year.

NyaChan:
Just to clarify - you gave a gift, then the person told you they already had that item?  I don't think you need to do anything.  You gave them a gift you thought they would like (and were right about that!).  Maybe they can use two or save one for later.

Penguin_ar:
No you are not obligated to take it back or offer anything (and if they pointed out they had a second of the item, as opposed to you finding out by accident, that is kind of rude in itself).

lilblu:
They didn't tell me they already had the item. Before we opened presents they were showing me these seasonal glass collectibles they had just purchased a few weeks ago. The one they showed me was the same one I had bought them as a gift. I didn't know what to do, so I didn't say anything. When they opened their presents, they realized what happened. Then a little later they offered to give me the one they had bought for themself, but I had bought one for me too. But we can't take it back.

kudeebee:
No, you don't need to offer to take it back or buy them something else.  You bought them a gift you knew they would enjoy.  It just so happened that they already had it.  This happens sometimes, many times the giver never knows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version