Author Topic: Duplicate Gift - Offer to take back?  (Read 2753 times)

lilblu

Duplicate Gift - Offer to take back?
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
I gave someone a Christmas gift and as it turns out, they had just recently purchased the same item for themselves. Am I supposed to offer to take it back/exchange it? I can't actually return it, so I would be stuck with it. I can buy another similar item for around the same price I paid, but it's not going to be as nice because I got a huge discount the first time and now I won't.

In case anyone is wondering, we exchanged Christmas gifts very late this year.

NyaChan

Re: Duplicate Gift - Offer to take back?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
Just to clarify - you gave a gift, then the person told you they already had that item?  I don't think you need to do anything.  You gave them a gift you thought they would like (and were right about that!).  Maybe they can use two or save one for later.

Penguin_ar

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
No you are not obligated to take it back or offer anything (and if they pointed out they had a second of the item, as opposed to you finding out by accident, that is kind of rude in itself).

lilblu

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »
They didn't tell me they already had the item. Before we opened presents they were showing me these seasonal glass collectibles they had just purchased a few weeks ago. The one they showed me was the same one I had bought them as a gift. I didn't know what to do, so I didn't say anything. When they opened their presents, they realized what happened. Then a little later they offered to give me the one they had bought for themself, but I had bought one for me too. But we can't take it back.

kudeebee

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »
No, you don't need to offer to take it back or buy them something else.  You bought them a gift you knew they would enjoy.  It just so happened that they already had it.  This happens sometimes, many times the giver never knows.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »
Nope, you are fine, as you didn't have any way of knowing that the recipient ahd just bought themselves the same thing!

The only time I will offer/do this is with my mom.  For christmas she asked for a new winter nightgown.  She likes a particular style, and fabric, and as I got a good deal, I bought her two. She asked, and said to me, she only really needs one, but could I return it, and maybe get her one for summer, instead. Since its' my mom, and I live 8 hours away, it wasn't an issue at all. I returned the first one, and she's got an IOU for a different once, when they come out.

But anyone else, I'd let the giftee decide what to do, or if I'm given a duplicate gift, I figure out what to do with it.  And when giving, whenver possible, I include a gift receipt, but in this case, it sounds like maybe it was a one of a kind item, so not possible to do that.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:54:25 PM »
I would offer to give them the receipt if you can.

JeseC

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

I'd agree with this.  You're not obligated to do anything, but it would be very nice to offer a gift receipt or to take it back and get something else.

kudeebee

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

OP said that it can't be returned.  In other situations this would be nice to do if you still have receipt. but not necessary.