General Etiquette > Life...in general

Forgetting someone's birthday . . .

<< < (3/3)

Mental Magpie:
I spoke to the Stork (my mom) on the 10th (my birthday).  As she usually ends our conversations, she said, "OK, anything else?"

I asked her if she was forgetting something.  She paused, thinking, then said, "Like what?"

I said, "How about my birthday?" in a laughing tone.

She just started laughing and laughing and laughing.  "Honey, I've thought all day today was the 9th.  I wrote it on scripts and everything!  I even told a nurse I had to call you at lunch tomorrow!  I'm so sorry!  Happy birthday!"

I had a pretty good laugh at it, too.  I don't seriously think my mother forgot my birthday, she just didn't realize it was the 10th already!

Call your mom, apologize, and tell her you just didn't realize it was the 18th already!

Outdoor Girl:
I once called a friend a week after her birthday.  I totally forgot.

I said to her, 'You know how you sometimes think during the day, oh I must do such and such when I get home?  And then when you get home, it totally slips your mind?  Yeah, it was nothing like that.  I just clean forgot.'  I apologized and wished her happy belated birthday.

Fortunately for me, she laughed.  And forgave me.

Call her, apologize for forgetting to wish her happy birthday yesterday and carry on.  She's your Mom; she has to forgive you.   :D

MariaE:
As somebody whose best friend forgot her birthday last year...

It is a LOT less hurtful to hear "I'm sorry, I completely forgot to wish you happy birthday." than "I'm sorry, I completely forgot your birthday". The former is "I was thinking of you, but forgot to actually say the words." the latter is "I wasn't thinking of you." and since you DID call her (even if it wasn't for that reason), you obviously were thinking of her :)

jpcher:

--- Quote from: MariaE on January 20, 2013, 02:44:14 AM ---As somebody whose best friend forgot her birthday last year...

It is a LOT less hurtful to hear "I'm sorry, I completely forgot to wish you happy birthday." than "I'm sorry, I completely forgot your birthday". The former is "I was thinking of you, but forgot to actually say the words." the latter is "I wasn't thinking of you." and since you DID call her (even if it wasn't for that reason), you obviously were thinking of her :)

--- End quote ---

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you, everybody, for your replies.

I called Mom back with DD#2. Once Mom answered we started singing "Happy Birthday" I told her "I'm sorry that when I talked to you yesterday I didn't mention your birthday! I just didn't realize what date yesterday was." Mom, of course, was fine with this and really appreciated the call back.

Then I called DD#1 and suggested that she call her Gma to wish her a happy b-day.

It's just that my mother is the queen of etiquette. Even though she would never say that I was wrong, I still feel bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version