Author Topic: Italian translation help with food allergies, please!  (Read 765 times)

IrishGenes

Italian translation help with food allergies, please!
« on: March 25, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
I am traveling for the very first time to Europe next month, and I am beyond excited!  :D

Unfortunately, I have quite the extensive list of food allergies, and I would like some assistance with translating them from English to Italian.  The fortunate part of my allergies is that none of them are life-threatening... just enough to make me very uncomfortable.  While I know many Italians understand/speak English, I do not want to make any assumptions.

Would you (general) look over my translations to see if I am way off on any of them?  The Italian translation is in parenthesis. 

Many thanks!

Medication Allergies: (Medication Allergie:)
Erythromycin (Eritromicina)

Epi-pen and Benadryl in purse (Epipen e Benadryl in borsa)

Food Allergies: (Allergie alimentari:)
Vegetarian due to meat allergies: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, fish (Vegetariana a causa di allergie a base di carne: manzo, maiale, pollo, tacchino, agnello, pesce)
Nuts: peanut, walnut, almond, hazelnut, cashew, pecan (Frutta a guscio: arachidi, noci, mandorle, nocciole, anacardi, noci pecan)
Shellfish: crustaceans, molluscs, shrimp (Molluschi: crostacei, molluschi, gamberi)
Berries: blueberry (Frutti di bosco: mirtillo)
Egg Whites (albumi d'uovo)
Cantaloupe (cantalupo)
Celery (sedano)
Green Peas (Piselli)
Plums (susine)
Rye (segale)
Vanilla (vaniglia)
Chocolate (cioccolato)

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

Rohanna

Re: Italian translation help with food allergies, please!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
Is it possible to look at menus ahead of time for restaurants? That is a huge list to trust a restaurant that speaks your language with - I'd be wanting to maybe write up suggestions for what you can safely eat as well as what you can't.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »
I had DH take a look and you've a good job.  It's pretty clear, while some Italians may have never seen a pecan they will know you have allergies to different nuts.  Are pistachios a problem?  You're more likely to see those than cashews.

One site that might be helpful is http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/food-and-wine/vegetarian-in-italy-vegan-gluten-free-europe.  It has good tips.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

IrishGenes

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53:18 PM »
I had DH take a look and you've a good job.  It's pretty clear, while some Italians may have never seen a pecan they will know you have allergies to different nuts.  Are pistachios a problem?  You're more likely to see those than cashews.

One site that might be helpful is http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/food-and-wine/vegetarian-in-italy-vegan-gluten-free-europe.  It has good tips.

That looks like a helpful website.  Thanks!

I am allergic to all kinds of nuts, so I will clarify that on my list. 

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:07:16 AM »
Since you mention an epi pen, keep in mind that not as many people will know what an epi pen is or how it is used.

Also, I would be extra aware of hidden meat products, specially meat broth.