News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 07, 2015, 08:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: As the world turns (vertigo)  (Read 1763 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: As the world turns (vertigo)
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
This thread is very interesting to me.  I am going to have to ask my dad if he ever suffered a head injury when he was younger (entirely possible, he's always been athletic) because what happens to him sure sounds like what you all are calling vertigo, though he never has called it that.

For as far back as he can remember (he's 70 now) he's said that he "can't do little circles".  Roller coasters? Sure!  Ferris wheels and the like? Great!  The Tilt a whirl? He quite literally acts like he's drunk when he gets off.  He can't keep his balance and staggers and is dizzy, etc.  It's not been that much of an issue for him, because he's been able to avoid that trigger, but it has always seemed so strange to us-we never heard of anyone else that it happened to that way.  Everyone else seemed to get sick on all rides or on none, but not Dad.

I will keep watching this thread with interest.

andi

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »
Its funny, until this thread, I never associated my horrible motion sickness with vertigo.  Think I'll go do some research.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »
Hmmmm... I'm starting to wonder if I'm having mild vertigo episodes.

I've always had motion sickness.  It got worse the year I was flying to LA and I puked from Denver to LA due to bad turbulence.  It was so bad the flight attendants were allowing me to ignore the seatbelt sign.  I can no longer handle being in the back seat at all and can only handle the front seat with smooth drivers and minimal traffic.  I'm fine driving, for the most part.  On roller coaster roads, even driving, my stomach will do a couple of flip flops.  I wonder if I'd be OK on a ship, like Dazi, but I'm not sure I want to spend lots of money to find out.

But the last couple of years, I've been having some episodes where I stand up, get half way down the hall at work and then get woozy.  My vision goes black but as long as I can stand with me feet wide apart or I can grab on to something, I don't go down. I have low blood pressure, though, so that's what I've been putting it down to.  I'll usually eat something salty and it'll go away.  Because I mostly eat my own home cooked food with limited salt added, I sometimes have to make sure I eat enough salt.  Especially if I've been sweating a lot due to the season and/or hot flashes.

I have had this, and I've chalked it up a drop in blood supply to the brain. One time, I got up from the couch (I'd been lying down), and as I headed toward the kitchen, everything went black suddenly, and I had to grab onto the kitchen counter to stop myself from falling. I see it as similar to fainting. I have also fully fainted several times in my life, but not for a long time. These days, I tend to have more of the momentary "blacking out" episodes that you described.

I also get this - in my case, my blood pressure drops if I get up too fast. Postural orthostasis, I think it's called.  It doesn't always happen either - so I'm never quite sure when I'm going to need to grab onto something for dear life...

As for vertigo, I think the only time I've had it was when I had a killer ear infection as a wee one. I spent a lot of time laying down and trying to pretend I didn't feel like I was constantly falling through nothing.

I've had the bolded my whole life too - my doc said it was from having low blood pressure too, and seemed to think it wasn't a sign of anything worse, which made me happy.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
I've always had a good head and stomach for travel - I get 'disoriented' but not 'sick' sea sick in rough water on boats, but most other forms of travel I'm fine.  So I feel for you all who do suffer - it must be miserable.

A couple of years ago I went to the USA and managed to catch a Type A flu virus.  It wasn't bad as the flu goes (not a lot of head cold or chesty type stuff or aches and pains), but oh dear dog, the vertigo.  Every now and then I'd have to catch onto something if I was upright, or if I was lying down I'd have to hold onto the bed to stop flying off.

It was bad for months afterwards.  My GP ended up prescribing Stemetil (anti-nausea drug) which helped a lot.  Once that initial bad phase was over, I quit the drug, but I still get the odd head-spin now, usually in bed.  It's not a lot of fun, but it's very minor and rare when it does happen.

And I've been on rides since and all was OK. 

crella

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 09:52:49 PM »
Does anyone get vertigo when they eat? It will sound weird but sometimes I feel woozy when I start to eat, like I have to phisically hold the table because the world is going round. My GP was puzzled but could the position of the inner ear explain it?

It might be, it might be looking down at the table that does it. MIL had really bad vertigo for a year or so, but it was only triggered when she looked up, say to pull a light cord, or to shut the drapes. For that reason they started out looking at the arteries in her neck, thinking one of them might be occluded, but it turned out to be crystals in her ear canals, and it went away with the Epley maneuvers.

When our son was in first grade we took him to Tokyo Disneyland. The last ride we went on was the teacups, and DH and DS went crazy spinning us around, trying to see how fast they could get it to go. They were spinning it so hard I couldn't sit up straight, but was laughing my head off having a good time...until I got off and started falling all over the place. It got better after an hour or so, but I continued to have vertigo and odd sensations for a couple of weeks. For instance, an elevator I was on would stop, but I would feel as if it was still in motion, or I felt like I was moving sideways while seated. It was really unpleasant, and I was afraid it might be permanent but eventually it cleared up.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 11:05:58 PM »
I have Meniere's disease too.  The Epley maoneuver unfortunately has not helped me.  I'm in line to get a surgery that may help, but I have no idea when.

For me, the attacks are either only mild dizziness and my head feels "heavy" (I have difficulty keeping my head up and feel very very sleepy).  Dizziness only really happens if I move my head in these cases.  These attacks though, last a really long time and I'm exhausted after.

Either that, or everything around me starts spinning...I happened to be laying on my back in bed when I first experienced this and I remember watching the light fixture going around and around above me.  When these attacks happen, they are sudden, with no warning and very intense, but they usually only last a minute or two with very little in the way of lasting effects. Occasionally some positional vertigo.  It sucks though, either way.  It interferes with my life, and particularly my job, which does not make me happy.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

cabbageweevil

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 07:36:10 AM »
Not intending to make light of what is, clearly, a horrid affliction which many posters have to deal with: but the word "vertigo" has been ruined for me permanently, by reason of my first encounter with it, in childhood.  My parents were fans of Ogden Nash, and we had in the house several books of his verse.  I came to love much of Ogden's stuff -- especially his antics as, likely, the ultimate perpetrator on the English language, of pun-type atrocities.  I first came upon the word -- and needed to enquire as to its meaning -- in a poem of his about suicide; which ends with his telling of a businessman in dire financial straits, who ended it all by jumping from the top of a skyscraper --

"And one of his partners asked, has he vertigo? And the other glanced out and down and said, Oh, no, only about ten feet more."

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
Not intending to make light of what is, clearly, a horrid affliction which many posters have to deal with: but the word "vertigo" has been ruined for me permanently, by reason of my first encounter with it, in childhood.  My parents were fans of Ogden Nash, and we had in the house several books of his verse.  I came to love much of Ogden's stuff -- especially his antics as, likely, the ultimate perpetrator on the English language, of pun-type atrocities.  I first came upon the word -- and needed to enquire as to its meaning -- in a poem of his about suicide; which ends with his telling of a businessman in dire financial straits, who ended it all by jumping from the top of a skyscraper --

"And one of his partners asked, has he vertigo? And the other glanced out and down and said, Oh, no, only about ten feet more."

That's pretty funny.  ;D

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 12:16:02 PM »
So I was just given a prescription for meclizine for mine. My doctor told me that it would either work amazingly well or go really poorly. Has anybody taken this? What does "go really poorly" mean? Every time I asked, he just told me that I would definitely know right away if it was working or not.

Will I turn blue?
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »
So I was just given a prescription for meclizine for mine. My doctor told me that it would either work amazingly well or go really poorly. Has anybody taken this? What does "go really poorly" mean? Every time I asked, he just told me that I would definitely know right away if it was working or not.

Will I turn blue?

I take antivert 25 mg (which is just another name for meclizine).  At first it didn't work for me. One day I  was talking to a friend that takes it and she told me it needed to be chewed.  Well, no one mentioned that little tidbit. 

It taste nasty as crap, but works great.  And yes, it works almost instantly,  within a few minutes, at the longest.

ETA    I've never turned blue  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah