Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1305779 times)

Xandraea

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6675 on: January 05, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »
Perkins around here used to be very good as well, years ago.. the few times I've gone there in the last 15 yrs, the french toast was hit or miss .. either acceptable, or totally soggy and not fully cooked. I give up. I can make much better meals at home.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6676 on: January 05, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »
Freezer burned lettuce...no, not a place to ever eat at again.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Cherry91

« Reply #6677 on: January 06, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »
How did they even manage to freeze lettuce? I tried once and the leaves turned to mush once they defrosted....

Browyn

« Reply #6678 on: January 06, 2015, 11:50:57 AM »
How did they even manage to freeze lettuce? I tried once and the leaves turned to mush once they defrosted....

If the fridge is set too cold the edges of the leaves get freezer burned i.e. brown and slimy.  That is why there is a vegetable drawer in most refrigerators, too keep produce from getting too cold.

gingerzing

« Reply #6679 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
Village Inn. 
Went to our local Village Inn on Thanksgiving night for my husband to get some pumpkin pie. (I had fixed dinner, but I can't make pie.) 
The door had the store hours for the holiday that they closed Thanksgiving at 8 PM. This was good since it was just before 7:30PM when we walked in.  The hostess rolled her eyes, but got us seated on the side that they were serving.  (The opposite side of the building was cleared,half lit, and not in use.  Which seemed logical since they only had a half hour before closing)
We were seated near the doorway to the kitchen, but still about 4 tables away. And there was about 2 other tables of diners finishing their meals.  Our waitress was friendly and we explained we just needed dessert.  She got us our coffee fairly quickly, but it took a little bit to get DH's pie and my brownie. (perhaps one needed to be warmed.)
About ten minutes after we were seated, a lady came in and asked to be seated.  The hostess made a big production about sitting her near us at the 3rd table from the kitchen.  Then the hostess walked into the kitchen and yelled (We ALL heard her) "That's it.  That is the LAST person that I am seating."  Then she processed to go into the partically lit section where some friends of hers were and sit down with them.
The lady apologized to our waitress but she had just gotten off work and just wanted a decaf coffee and a bowl of soup.  The waitress went back to get the coffee and the hostess got up and went into the kitchen from the other room.  The hostess yelled at the waitress that she was NOT to make a pot of decaf coffee and that it would be a waste of product.  Again, we heard out in the dining area. 
The poor waitress came out and apologized that they were out of decaf and the soup of the day, but they did have <other soup>.
The lady was gracious and said a glass of water and a bowl of the other soup would be fine. 
We were done and went up to pay.  The hostess still was in the other room chatting it up with her friends so our waitress came hustling up to get our check. 
When she asked how everything was, I told her that the dessert was fine and she was obviously working quite hard, but {I lowered my voice slightly} who was in charge tonight? 
The waitress grimaced and nodded her head toward the hostess.  Of course, she was. 
I smiled and said, "No worries for you.  May I have a business card for your GM?"
The waitress gave a small smile back, "Of course, ma'am.  This card has our manager's name and is the General Manager's info on the front and on the back is the corporate info as well." 
I thanked her.  (And yes, tipped her fairly well, since I figured her hostess would have tried to make her split tips or someting.)

I wrote the GM and the manager with a copy to corporate.  Singing the praises of our waitress who was doing work while her hostess was less than hospitable. Explaining our experience and how rude the hostess was to the other gal and the whole coffee issue. (Yes, I KNOW it is money, but in the grand scheme of things? One pack and water for a gal that probably would have drank 2-4 cups.)
A month later, I a very nice note from the GM saying they were looking into the issue.  Oh, and here is a gift card for a free meal and appetizers. 

So we went to a second Village Inn on the other side of town about 3 months later to use the gift card with another couple.  The waiter we had forgot 2 of the 4 drinks.  Then he forgot the appetizer until he served the salads.  Then my meal was cold and one other person's wasn't complete.  My food and the missing part of the other meal didn't come out until the others had finished.  SIGH.
I handed the waiter, who had barely apologized (what he gave was a "I'm sorry you needed your food hot" sort. ) my gift card to get our check figured out. 
Apparently, the gift card had a special code that it was from the GM.  Because the manager came out right away to give us our check.  He muttered some sort of apology about the mix up, but I noticed that he only took off the things that the card had marked.  Not that I was trying to get more free food but still.

About a year later, different friends took us out to eat to the Village Inn from the first story.  And they messed up my order of crepes and gave me a side that I specifically told them not to. SIGH. 

Haven't been back again. 

Fun note - Baker's Square is owned by the same company and is basically the same set up.  Never had a problem there.

Reika

« Reply #6680 on: January 06, 2015, 12:27:27 PM »
The brief time I worked in a restaurant there were 2-3 kitchen staff who had worked in various Village Inns in my area, the horror stories they told me about the food prep and the state of the kitchen horrified me enough to never try any of them.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6681 on: January 07, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »
This is an "I will never eat there again" story. It was last Mother's Day, a day when most eateries are very busy. I had gone to the Jersey Shore earlier that day and was on my way home, so I was not dressed nicely enough for a nicer place (I was dressed decently, though, not beach attire). Friend and I stopped in at a Perkins Restaurant; the chain had gotten really good reviews online. It was awful! I should've known something was off when I saw how empty the place was.
I ordered bottled water. The waiter brought the bottle of water and left it...no glass.  :o I ordered a side salad, and most of the lettuce had freezer burn. The main entree was pretty awful, too. I won't be back.  :P

Sigh. Perkins used to be awesome, about 15-20 years ago. Best eggs benedict ever. I stopped eating there when they started going downhill.

I remember going years ago, and it was much better. Sad when quality takes a hit.  :-[

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #6682 on: January 08, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
This is an "I will never eat there again" story. It was last Mother's Day, a day when most eateries are very busy. I had gone to the Jersey Shore earlier that day and was on my way home, so I was not dressed nicely enough for a nicer place (I was dressed decently, though, not beach attire). Friend and I stopped in at a Perkins Restaurant; the chain had gotten really good reviews online. It was awful! I should've known something was off when I saw how empty the place was.
I ordered bottled water. The waiter brought the bottle of water and left it...no glass.  :o I ordered a side salad, and most of the lettuce had freezer burn. The main entree was pretty awful, too. I won't be back.  :P

We were driving cross country last summer and stopped at a Perkins for dinner. We were so excited because we loved it when we lived in the midwest and we hadn't visited since moving away. Apparently someone didn't order enough food for the crowd that came through that same day. Out of six of us, nobody was able to order what they wanted. It was difficult to find something to eat! It took forever to bring us the food they did have because they wouldn't get told they were out of certain ingredients until someone ordered those dishes. The manager gave us a hefty discount on our meal and tried to give us cookies for our trouble but they were out of those too.  ::) While we would by no means be regular customers of that location because of where we live, you can bet that next time we drive cross country we won't be making sure to time our travels to be able to stop there for a meal.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #6683 on: January 08, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »

If the fridge is set too cold the edges of the leaves get freezer burned i.e. brown and slimy.  That is why there is a vegetable drawer in most refrigerators, too keep produce from getting too cold.

I once got a salad that had been frozen.  However - and this is one reason why we still frequent this particular restaurant - I flagged down the local manager, and showed him.  He had a completely new salad made for me, including freshly-cooked strip steak (this was on top of the salad) and apologized for the first salad.  It took only about 5 minutes to get the new salad, too.