News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 19, 2015, 10:24:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone ever had a tattoo removed?  (Read 1148 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Has anyone ever had a tattoo removed?
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
Or have you done research on it because you thought of having it removed? Would you please share your experiences/thoughts/advice?

Have you ever had any ink that you were seriously unhappy with? What did you do about it?

I'm asking because I'm just doing my own info-gathering right now and I'm curious about your experiences . . . I went with DD#2 to a consultation for getting one of her tats removed. I'm quite impressed with her research that went into DD#2's choice of place for the removal. First -- this was the only place that had an FDA approved laser removal machine. Second -- was distance for travel even though other places (non FDA approved) would be a lot cheaper.

She has an appointment for her first treatment next week. She was told that it might take up to 10 treatments, probably only 5 at $200/treatment. Doc said "You're not paying for my time, you're paying for the price of that machine." Each treatment will take about 3 minutes.

OUCH! The tat cost $65! To have it removed will be $1000! That really hurts her feelings a bit, but she's really unhappy with the way it turned out. The tat is about 3" x 1" and done in black ink. It's less than a year old with a touch-up done about 3 months ago.

Don't get me wrong, D#2 thought long and hard about this tat. It's supposed to be a waveform of my voice saying "I love you, have a great day!" (something I say to her every morning when I leave for work and she asked me to record it) but the artist really screwed it up. It's muddy, looks nothing like a waveform and looks like an undefined dart. She even went back to the artist to have it touched up (at no charge) but it's still ugly. Which is surprising because she has another, earlier tat from the same artist that is absolutely beautiful.

It's too bad that you can't return tattoos like you can any other merchandise. :P

Thoughts?

CakeBeret

Re: Has anyone ever had a tattoo removed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Would your DD want to have a coverup done? A skilled artist could do a beautiful piece over the failed one, and then re-do the original tat elsewhere. Probably for less money total than the cost of removal.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Girly

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
I'd look into getting a coverup.
Even when you do removal, it sometimes doesn't remove everything - especially if the colors are dark.

greencat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »
It's entirely possible your daughter might want to do what a friend of mine did - he had a terrible piece, with very dark ink, done by an amateur, on his upper arm.  He had several laser treatments done, which broke the tattoo up into a blurry mess, and then had another tattoo done over it. 

I had full color cover work done over a tattoo that was almost entirely black.  You can't tell what's under the cover at all.  Good, experienced tattoo artists charge $100ish an hour and have the portfolio to justify it.

figee

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:16:29 AM »
I had a tat removed. That price sounds about right. I paid a little more, but it was worth it.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:59:46 AM »
A friend of mine wanted an older tattoo of her's removed. Her first couple of sessions were one particular type of laser treatment that left some nasty burn scars. Later on she tried a different type of laser treatment that did a much better job of getting rid of the dark ink that was left behind under the scar tissue. She later had a completely new tattoo done over the faded/scarred removal area. You now can't even tell there was an older tattoo there and the burn scars are not visible unless you know exactly where to run your fingers over her skin to feel them.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:38:19 AM »
That price is about right.  I've had one removed.  It was on my shoulder blade, and it was pretty big.  I had about....7 sessions, I could have used 1-2 more but I moved away from the doctor that was doing the removal.

First, I've heard black ink is the easiest to remove - it reacts to the lasers better.

Second, it *hurts*.  I have a fairly low pain tolerance, but it hurt a lot.  More than the original tattoo.  Part of that was because of how big the area was.  If DD also has a pain tolerance issue, ask if they can put on some lidocaine cream before they start.  Mine was bad enough they actually injected lidocaine for me.

Third, after 7 treatments and then 9 years....if you know the tattoo was there, you can see a "ghost shadow" of it.  If not, you'd never know.  I'm very happy with how the removal turned out - the tattoo was wonderful, but it was a reminder of a really bad period in my life.

TriCrazy73

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »
I second (or third?) the suggestion to consider a cover-up.  I have seen some amazing work done and you can't even tell that something is underneath.  Would be cheaper and less painful than removal.

redsfan

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:59:49 PM »
Will she be using the PicoSure laser?  I've seen some amazing results with that one. 

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 12:24:47 AM »
Wouldn't this fall under medical advice?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 06:23:47 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

It's a good suggestion about cover-ups. I mentioned this to her and she said that on second thought she really doesn't want a tattoo in that spot after all. (It's on the bottom side of her lower arm.) Plus she really doesn't know what she would cover it up with.

She said that she gets quite a few comments from customers (most of them telling her that she spilled dye on her arm, that's how bad it is ::)) and she realized that she didn't want something that would call attention to her. Her job is about the clients.

Will she be using the PicoSure laser?  I've seen some amazing results with that one. 

I'm not sure which system she's using, but from what I read on line and the video we saw it looks similar.

Her first session is next Tuesday. I'll let you know how it went.

Esther_bunny -- I hope not. I was looking for success/fail/alternative thoughts and ideas. Mods, if this is an inappropriate topic, my apologies.