A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .

<< < (11/15) > >>

Moonie:
Everyone's "proud moments" sound absolutely delicious. I don't have any of those per se, but hope to soon. My two grandsons live with me, and we are starting (hopefully) a new adventure in cooking and eating. Last night I got out all my cookbooks and told them to each look through the books and pick something they would like to try. I will cook one of those picks each week, and the child that picked the recipe will help me fix it. So keep your fingers crossed that we find some yummy new things to make. I am a little worried, though, because the oldest says to me, "Hey this looks good.....what's a pheasant?"  :)

Addy:
This past boxing day, I was hosting my DH's family, 35 people all together. I thought everyone would be tired of turkey, so I decided to do roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

DH and I like our beef rare, but I wasn't sure if his family did, so I did two roasts, started half an hour apart. Well, the roast that was supposed to be medium turned out medium rare and the one that was supposed to be medium rare was rare. But to my surprise and delight, his family likes their beef rare too! It was a big hit.

But my speciality is the yorkshire pudding, and DH kept talking it up beforehand, telling everyone how good it is. So much so that I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to expectations. But it turned out so good that when it was time to clean up, 5 people were huddled around the pan picking off the crispy bits that were left over.

ladyknight1:
I found a book called Handheld Pies.

Delicious little pies made from scratch. I made the chocolate cream, but after melting the chocolate and butter with rum and vanilla, our cream had frozen and would not whip. I made a pastry cream by melting butter, making a roux with cornstarch, and adding milk and simmering until it was the appropriate thickness, then stirring in the chocolate mixture. It was decadent bliss.

KenveeB:
I made three-layer German Chocolate Cake last night. I've only made a couple of cakes ever, and this was my first three-layer one. I was VERY nervous about how it turned out. But one lady who had it told me it was the best German Chocolate cake she'd ever had!!

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on January 30, 2013, 01:59:41 PM ---I made three-layer German Chocolate Cake last night. I've only made a couple of cakes ever, and this was my first three-layer one. I was VERY nervous about how it turned out. But one lady who had it told me it was the best German Chocolate cake she'd ever had!!

--- End quote ---

I LOOOOVVVVEEEE german chocolate cake.  It's my favorite chocolate cake. It's the one that my kids who say they hate pecans eat even though there is pecans in the icing/filling that and they just don't notice.

If you don't mind, which recipe did you use?  I keep trying out different ones, but keep going back to the Baker's Sweet  German Chocolate Cake versus their Original Sweet Chocolate cake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version