A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .

<< < (12/15) > >>

KenveeB:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on January 31, 2013, 06:26:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: KenveeB on January 30, 2013, 01:59:41 PM ---I made three-layer German Chocolate Cake last night. I've only made a couple of cakes ever, and this was my first three-layer one. I was VERY nervous about how it turned out. But one lady who had it told me it was the best German Chocolate cake she'd ever had!!

--- End quote ---

I LOOOOVVVVEEEE german chocolate cake.  It's my favorite chocolate cake. It's the one that my kids who say they hate pecans eat even though there is pecans in the icing/filling that and they just don't notice.

If you don't mind, which recipe did you use?  I keep trying out different ones, but keep going back to the Baker's Sweet  German Chocolate Cake versus their Original Sweet Chocolate cake.

--- End quote ---

It was the Taste of Home recipe. ToH never lets me down! :D

The funny thing is, I don't like coconut, so I'm not a fan of German Chocolate Cake. I never even tasted the one I made!

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on January 31, 2013, 09:14:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on January 31, 2013, 06:26:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: KenveeB on January 30, 2013, 01:59:41 PM ---I made three-layer German Chocolate Cake last night. I've only made a couple of cakes ever, and this was my first three-layer one. I was VERY nervous about how it turned out. But one lady who had it told me it was the best German Chocolate cake she'd ever had!!

--- End quote ---

I LOOOOVVVVEEEE german chocolate cake.  It's my favorite chocolate cake. It's the one that my kids who say they hate pecans eat even though there is pecans in the icing/filling that and they just don't notice.

If you don't mind, which recipe did you use?  I keep trying out different ones, but keep going back to the Baker's Sweet  German Chocolate Cake versus their Original Sweet Chocolate cake.

--- End quote ---

It was the Taste of Home recipe. ToH never lets me down! :D

The funny thing is, I don't like coconut, so I'm not a fan of German Chocolate Cake. I never even tasted the one I made!

--- End quote ---
Thanks. I compared and that is the same one on the Baker's Geman's Sweet Chocolate box that is the Original. The frosting they used was a little different though.

I got a giggle on the description part on the Taste of Home  stating "Many folks in our area of Ohio are of German descent, so this recipe is especially appropriate for our region."    German Chocolate cake isn't of German decent.  The man who developed the style of chocolate last name was German. That's why the boxed chocolate is German's Sweet Chocolate and not German Sweet Chocolate.

CakeBeret:
Reviving this thread because I had a proud kitchen moment last night.

DH and his friends decided to have a boys' night in and asked if I would make them some spaghetti. In the mood for a challenge, I made the following meal entirely from scratch, with the exception of using dried pasta.

Pasta with spicy roasted-vegetable marinara
Homemade ricotta
Italian meatballs
Crusty French baguettes
Chocolate Kahlua mousse

Last summer I roasted a small army of vegetables, pureed them with tomatoes, and simmered with garlic and basil to make a basic marinara. I portioned it and stored it in the freezer for a quick marinara sauce. It tastes like marinara but has tons of vitamin-packed healthy vegetable goodness. So last night I caramelized a minced onion, added red and cayenne pepper, lightly sauteed garlic and basil, and then added the marinara and simmered for an hour and a half for the sauce. I made a small batch of ricotta to serve on top of the marinara, to cool it down a bit. The meatballs were half beef and half turkey, seasoned with homemade breadcrumbs, rosemary, and sage, and baked on a wire rack to reduce greasiness.

The French baguettes were simple white loaves baked with a crunchy crust outside and soft fluffy goodness on the inside. (Normally I bake whole-wheat only, so the soft fluffy white bread was a definite treat.) The first loaf was devoured directly out of my hand as I was trying to carry it to the cutting board. The second loaf was savored with butter and ricotta.

The chocolate mousse was made with low-fat milk, and whipped farm-fresh eggs for volume.

The boys declared it the "best meal ever". :D

Amara:

--- Quote ---The boys declared it the "best meal ever".
--- End quote ---

It sounds fantastic!

KenveeB:

--- Quote from: Amara on February 20, 2013, 01:57:15 PM ---
--- Quote ---The boys declared it the "best meal ever".
--- End quote ---

It sounds fantastic!

--- End quote ---

Agreed! You've got me drooling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version