Author Topic: Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .  (Read 5694 times)

oogyda

Re: Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
The week of Thanksgiving 2012.  I managed to feed 11-13 people every evening for 7 evenings and everything turned out great. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
I've been exploring a lot more with cooking lately, especially baking. I recently made my first layer cake. It was delicious!

Maggie

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
When my daughter was moving to Utah in August, they came through Oklahoma.  I hosted about 14 people and fixed pulled pork and pork loin, and a whole variety of sides and dessert!  I was so proud of myself!  What my mother said is not worth repeating on this board.  It was wonderful though and I was impressed with myself even if she wasn't!

mmswm

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
My proudest moment was when I hosted Thanksgiving for my family this year. I'd never done it before and everything came out perfect!  Even the turkey, which was brined and roasted per Alton Brown's instructions.  My mother could not believe I'd roasted a turkey in 2.5 hours!

This deserves a standing ovation.  Doing an entire turkey dinner from scratch isn't easy, and to be such a success on the first time is quite impressive!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
I really don't have one proud kitchen moment that stands out in my mind.

But I do have to say that, through the years, I've learned how to throw a decent party for 15-30+ guests. The toughest part is deciding on a menu. Once that's been chosen (thanks to this site for many great menu/recipe suggestions!;D) everything falls into place. The appetizers are on the table, the main meal gets served on time, and the guests are happy.

So, yeah, I have to say that serving a large, successful party is my proud kitchen moment. ;D

Iris

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
This.

I've made many harder things, but this one that I made with my daughter (that's her in the background) certainly LOOKED the most spectacular and was the most fun to make with a child.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
^ That cake is AWESOME! Truely a proud moment! ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:18:06 PM by jpcher »

Iris

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
^ That cake is AWESOME!

Thanks. As I said, it looks spectacular, but it really is quite easy to make although time consuming. Enough food colouring, a piping bag and a lazy susan and you're all set. It made a great activity for a few rainy days in the school holidays, though, and I am disproportionately proud of it  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
My firsts was when I was around 10 and I mase a lemon bundt cake by myself for the first time.  My parents and another couple liked it so much, they finished off the whole thing while playing bridge and then my mom's friend paid me to makes her one nthe next weekend for nan party she wasn having.

asb8

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
My proudest moment was when I hosted Thanksgiving for my family this year. I'd never done it before and everything came out perfect!  Even the turkey, which was brined and roasted per Alton Brown's instructions.  My mother could not believe I'd roasted a turkey in 2.5 hours!

This deserves a standing ovation.  Doing an entire turkey dinner from scratch isn't easy, and to be such a success on the first time is quite impressive!

Awwwwwwwww!  Thank you!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
That sounds so yummy Bijou, please share the recipe.

Lately I've learned how to deal with ganache and cakes.  Not that big of a deal, but the stuff is so-ooooo good. 

Lately the favorite birthday cake for several in my family is a vanilla sponge cake baked in 3 layers, with milk chocolate filling and dark chocolate ganache poured over the top.
That cake sounds wonderful.  I wish I didn't have to watch my carbs and sugar!

The soup was so flavorful and savory and had almost nothing in it.
I put a box of low sodium chicken stock in a pot to heat.  Probably about a quart.  It's the kind you can leave on the shelf until you open it.  I added a little bag of those miniature ready to eat carrots. 
I cut about 2/3 head of cabbage into 1/2 inch shreds and added that. 
I heated some extra virgin olive oil in my heavy skillet and lightly caramelized about half to 2/3 cup chopped onions (I use frozen ones) and a good healthy sprinkling of garlic.  I added that to the pot, de-glazed the skillet with some of the broth and added that to the pot. 
I cut one of those big bent links of kielbasa sausage (it's fully cooked already) into 1/4 inch rounds and browned it in the skillet, de-glazed the skillet with some broth and added all of that to the pot. 
By the time I added the sausage everything else was pretty much cooked and I cooked it with the sausage in it for maybe 5 or 7 minutes.   My pepper mill is broken so I didn't add pepper, but ordinarily would have.  I didn't add salt, as it didn't need it.  I added a pat of butter to the pot. 
Ordinarily I would add potatoes, but I didn't have any, and it really didn't need them. 
I always use reduced fat sausage (this one comes in a 'lite' version, but they didn't have any at the store so we got the regular stuff.) 

I wish I had some soup (and cake!) right now.  My husband has been out of town for a couple of days and I have no way to get to the store...as soon as he comes home I'm making another pot of that stuff.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »
I was making macaroni and cheese from the box, and realized as I was going to put the other ingredients in that we didn't have any butter. I mixed it together anyway and prayed it would be okay.

It wasn't the best macaroni and cheese I've ever made, but it wasn't terrible. The only thing that was "wrong" was that it was a bit dry, which probably could have been solved with a little more milk. I felt really awesome after that.  :D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »
This.

I've made many harder things, but this one that I made with my daughter (that's her in the background) certainly LOOKED the most spectacular and was the most fun to make with a child.
Wow...like eating a rainbow!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

CakeEater

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
I like making pasta with chicken and veges and various flavoured sauces. So I made a pumpkin sauce one night and put some different spices and ingredients that I don't use much and it's a bit of a hit with the family. I'm sure it's been invested elsewhere, but I was quite proud to have come up with my own recipe.

southern girl

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
The first time I cooked Thanksgiving dinner I couldn't find the giblets!  I looked in the cavity where I had always found them before and nope, none at all.  Okay, then.  I made a roux, added chicken stock, herbs and spices, cut up a couple of boiled eggs, sliced some mushrooms in half and called it gibletless giblet gravy.  It actually turned out really well.  Then when I was tearing apart the turkey to put in the fridge, what should I find but the stupid giblets, tucked under the skin under one of the wings, and roasted hard!  What *...* tucks the giblets under the wings???  Anyway, we enjoyed the gravy.