Author Topic: Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .  (Read 5860 times)

TheWeirdOne

Re: Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2013, 05:31:04 AM »
I recently made steamed pork buns for Boyfriend. Because they took so long to make (my steamer only fit a couple in at a time, so it took nearly all day) I told Boyfriend that if he wanted these on a regular basis he was buying me an electric steamer. He took one bite, and said 'Well I guess I'm buying you an electric steamer then'.

I have also, finally, figured out how to make the perfect soft boiled egg and have toast, eggs and tea ready at the same time.

Tashigi

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
This past week I baked chocolate macarons for the first time ever and they all turned out beautifully - no cracks on top and with the little "feet." I ran into a bit of a problem with the Mexican chocolate ganache when the chocolate split on me but I was thankfully about to save it and had enough to make truffles.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
DH bought me a Kitchenaid mixer today! Shiny red, on sale from Target + 5% off. I am so excited!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2013, 08:03:29 PM »
You're going to LOVE it, ladyknight!! I have a red KA too, and I absolutely adore it. :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
It was so funny, DH grabbed the last red one, went and told our pharmacist, who grabbed the last pink one! His wife had wanted one for years too!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
Hmm...I've got two, but for one of them I did have a bit of help!

1: Lemon meringue pie. Completely from scratch. My mother (the chef :)) helped me with the filling, or else it probably wouldn't have turned out AS amazing as it did! Unfortunately, I then discovered I don't care for lemon meringue pie...

2: My dad's birthday cake this year. Again, completely from scratch. Simple butter cake with chocolate frosting, both things I've never actually made before - nor have I ever frosted a cake! However...

I think this speaks for itself.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
Lovely! I love lemon, and need to make a lemon cake soon.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
I have another one. Mint chocolate chip pancakes. :) I got the recipe here, but if you try it, be aware they aren't going to taste very minty! I'd up the extract to 3/4 teaspoon if you really want a noticeable mint taste.

They're so indulgent, though...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Girlie

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
White chocolate buttercream! I made it from scratch for cupcakes that I then shared with my family, co-workers, and the pastor and his wife - to rave reviews! For the cupcakes, I did a simple dress-up from a box mix, and no one had ANY idea! I even had one coworker comment that she was glad I had been the one in charge of the cake this time, because she hates box mixes; they're too dry! I had a really good inward laugh at that one!

Gyburc

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »
I really enjoy cooking, and usually what I cook comes out fairly tasty. I don't tend to do much baking, though, and I work on an ad-hoc system - add a bit of this, a bit of that, and see how it goes.

I think my proudest moment recently was when I made a potato gratin for my ILs and my BIL (who trained as a chef) took a huge second portion and then scraped the plate clean.

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »
My Aunt used to make the most wonderful meringue cookies.  They would literally melt in your mouth but contained intact chocolate chips. 

When Aunt died, she took the secret with her.  Even her daughter didn't know the recipe and she tried everything she could think of. 

Just by chance, I stumbled on a recipe for 'forgotten cookies'.  That was what Cousin needed.  The secret is that you prepare the meringues, put them into a Pre-heated oven and then turn off the oven. 

Cousin was thrilled that she could reproduce her Mother's prized cookies.