Author Topic: recipe request mushroom sauce to top steaks (and side suggestions)  (Read 1320 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
I found a really really yummy mushroom sauce for steaks a couple years ago. But, in a moment of foolishness, I forgot to bookmark it or write it down anywhere. BIL is in town, so DH and I are having him and other BIL over for dinner. I have NY Strip Steaks, and DH requested that I make the yummy mushroom sauce again. I don't remember much about it other than it had mushroom, Worcestershire, and either cream or cream cheese.

So, I thought I'd put it to ehell, and see if anyone has a really good, go-to sauce.

Oh, and I'd take suggestions for sides. I am having the hardest time pulling this menu together ::) (at myself)
I have stuff for a green salad, and mashed potatoes, of course. It's Sunday dinner, so I want to do something a little more than a normal weeknight dinner.

Dessert is going to be a berry cobbler (this one:http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/06/berry-cobbler/ but with fresh blue/black berries) with vanilla ice cream.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
Re: recipe request mushroom sauce to top steaks (and side suggestions)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
ok, for the mushroom sauce I have a fail proof super dooper easy one.

I slice up about a dozen mushrooms (more or less depending on how 'mushroomy' you want it) and throw them into a hot pan with butter. I then add about 2 teaspoons of whole grain mustard (you could replace with Worcestershire). Fry off until mushrooms are soft and starting to caramelise, and add about 200ml of thickened cream. stir until simmering and serve.

This is an awesome basic recipe. I have used field mushrooms, cream cheese, no mustard, added cheese... really the ideas are endless. I find the older cup mushrooms that are open make a much nicer sauce. I am an Aussie, so I dont know what the conversion is to ounces, but its about 1 small tub of cream - but really, I go more by look than measurements.

Steak, mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and green salad sounds awesome to me. Maybe some grilled zucchini or asparagus to add a bit more green?

EmmaJ.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
Avi, that sounds delicious. I have a pound of mushrooms from my CSA box that need to be used up soon.

Could you clarify what is thickened cream?  Is it heavy cream or is it sour cream?

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
I love mushroom with steak.

The first time I made some I used the recipe in my Better Homes Cookbook except I made a mistake and didn't halve the butter when I halved all the other ingredients. I realized it too late to stop. Well I've made it that way ever since.

This is unlikely to be the recipe you are looking for as it isn't really a sauce. But the mushrooms were wonderful.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »
Side track --

DH requested that I make the yummy mushroom sauce again.

Oooooh. Yikes! I once made a yummy chicken meal (YCM). DD#1 asked for me to make it again (several months later) for her 10th b-day. I made what I thought was the YCM. DD#1 told me (very politely and not during dinner) that that wasn't the YCM she was thinking about. DD#1 is now 20 years old and I've been making chicken every which way and have never, ever been able to recreate YCM. :'(

Hopefully your mushroom sauce will be as great as the first one you made. ;D

Not much help for the recipe that you're looking for because I don't use cream. I use the portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced. Sautee in butter with some garlic and red wine vinegar. Once the mushrooms are close to done, add some beef broth/stock to deglaze the pan. Bring to a boil and add some corn starch to lightly thicken.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
The best mushroom sauce I've ever made...

Thinly sliced mushroom, what ever kind you like
sauteed in REAL BUTTER with some minced fresh garlic...onions optional
deglaze pan with some sherry (not cooking sherry, go to the actual wine aisle)
take off heat
Slowly stir in mushroom mixture into a separate container with heavy cream or half and half or sour cream
once tempered, add cream/mushroom mixture back to the pan, slowly bring back to a simmer

This is really good over just about everything, chicken, beef, egg noodles, mashed potatoes

Eta...the original recipe had some other alcohol, but I didn't have what it called for....don't remember if it was beer or red wine
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:42:30 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
Thickened cream is what I would use to make whipped cream. So I think it is heavy cream to you.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Thickened cream is what I would use to make whipped cream. So I think it is heavy cream to you.

Yes, heavy cream is what I would use to make whipped cream...or butter.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah