Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

NUTS!!! (literally ;-))

(1/4) > >>

Softly Spoken:
My neighbors gave me a fairly large gift tin of various whole nuts for Christmas. I think most of them are in their shells, except for the hazelnuts, which is the only kind I recognize. Well, I think I saw some walnuts but I don't know for sure without opening the package. I don't want to open the package (clear cellophane wrapped around a decorative tin with no lid) until I know what I'm going to do with them. I have 3 questions:

1) How do I identify the nuts?  ???
2) How long will they last / how should I store them?  :-\
3) What awesome recipe(s) would you recommend I use them in?  ;D

crella:
If I have a large tin of mixed nuts, I make Spiced Nuts.

You coat the nuts in slightly beaten egg white, coat with sugar and cinnamon (to taste, about 3/4 of sugar per pound of nuts) and then bake in a 100C  (about 200 F)oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Yummy, and they keep for a good while. I don't know for how long exactly, because they don't last all that long...

Softly Spoken:

--- Quote from: crella on January 20, 2013, 12:58:14 AM ---If I have a large tin of mixed nuts, I make Spiced Nuts.

You coat the nuts in slightly beaten egg white, coat with sugar and cinnamon (to taste, about 3/4 of sugar per pound of nuts) and then bake in a 100C  (about 200 F)oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Yummy, and they keep for a good while. I don't know for how long exactly, because they don't last all that long...

--- End quote ---

Okay I'm assuming a) I take the nuts out of their shells first and b) I lay them out in a shallow paper-lined pan like when you do chex mix?

cicero:
i'm assuming they are natural (i.e., not roasted/smoked)? if you want to keep them for a while, i suggest freezing them (i never buy in-the-shell nuts so i would probably shell them first).

--- Quote from: Softly Spoken on January 19, 2013, 11:48:16 PM ---My neighbors gave me a fairly large gift tin of various whole nuts for Christmas. I think most of them are in their shells, except for the hazelnuts, which is the only kind I recognize. Well, I think I saw some walnuts but I don't know for sure without opening the package. I don't want to open the package (clear cellophane wrapped around a decorative tin with no lid) until I know what I'm going to do with them. I have 3 questions:

1) How do I identify the nuts?  ???
2) How long will they last / how should I store them?  :-\
3) What awesome recipe(s) would you recommend I use them in?  ;D

--- End quote ---

crella:
Yes, sorry, you have to shell them first. I should have told you that! I don't line the pan, but you can if you like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version