Author Topic: NUTS!!! (literally ;-))  (Read 1977 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
NUTS!!! (literally ;-))
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »
My neighbors gave me a fairly large gift tin of various whole nuts for Christmas. I think most of them are in their shells, except for the hazelnuts, which is the only kind I recognize. Well, I think I saw some walnuts but I don't know for sure without opening the package. I don't want to open the package (clear cellophane wrapped around a decorative tin with no lid) until I know what I'm going to do with them. I have 3 questions:

1) How do I identify the nuts?  ???
2) How long will they last / how should I store them?  :-\
3) What awesome recipe(s) would you recommend I use them in?  ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

crella

Re: NUTS!!! (literally ;-))
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:58:14 AM »
If I have a large tin of mixed nuts, I make Spiced Nuts.

You coat the nuts in slightly beaten egg white, coat with sugar and cinnamon (to taste, about 3/4 of sugar per pound of nuts) and then bake in a 100C  (about 200 F)oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Yummy, and they keep for a good while. I don't know for how long exactly, because they don't last all that long...

Softly Spoken

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
If I have a large tin of mixed nuts, I make Spiced Nuts.

You coat the nuts in slightly beaten egg white, coat with sugar and cinnamon (to taste, about 3/4 of sugar per pound of nuts) and then bake in a 100C  (about 200 F)oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Yummy, and they keep for a good while. I don't know for how long exactly, because they don't last all that long...

Okay I'm assuming a) I take the nuts out of their shells first and b) I lay them out in a shallow paper-lined pan like when you do chex mix?
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »
i'm assuming they are natural (i.e., not roasted/smoked)? if you want to keep them for a while, i suggest freezing them (i never buy in-the-shell nuts so i would probably shell them first).

My neighbors gave me a fairly large gift tin of various whole nuts for Christmas. I think most of them are in their shells, except for the hazelnuts, which is the only kind I recognize. Well, I think I saw some walnuts but I don't know for sure without opening the package. I don't want to open the package (clear cellophane wrapped around a decorative tin with no lid) until I know what I'm going to do with them. I have 3 questions:

1) How do I identify the nuts?  ???
2) How long will they last / how should I store them?  :-\
3) What awesome recipe(s) would you recommend I use them in?  ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

crella

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »
Yes, sorry, you have to shell them first. I should have told you that! I don't line the pan, but you can if you like.

kckgirl

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
Put them in the freezer! They will go bad if you don't.
Maryland

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
Nuts in the freezer? I've never heard of that. Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts and almonds all keep very well in their shells here. We've picked hazelnuts in Autumn and eaten them the following Christmas. Chestnuts don't last, but they are seeds aren't they?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »
Nuts in the freezer? I've never heard of that. Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts and almonds all keep very well in their shells here. We've picked hazelnuts in Autumn and eaten them the following Christmas. Chestnuts don't last, but they are seeds aren't they?
absolutely. otherwise i find they go bad or the creepy crawlies find them :-[

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
From http://www.marksdailyapple.com (I can't link to the page of the recipe because it's a looooong page with a lot of recipes. Hope this is okay)

We've made these and they were really good! I'd probably prefer they be a bit less spicy but I'm a lightweight when it comes to spice. DH thought they were perfect. We used 2C of mixed nuts so I know that works.

1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups of whole almonds, shelled
1 tbsp sea salt

In a non-stick skillet heat the olive oil and spices over low heat for 3 or so minutes. Place the nuts in a bowl and pour oil mixture over the top, toss and stir. Then, spread nuts into a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet and pop in a oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, shaking the tray about every 5 minutes to cook evenly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool two hours. Store in an airtight container.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »
Yes definitely store nuts in the freezer! She'll all the nuts and freeze what you won't immediately use. I've kept nuts in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. You could make spiced nuts, mix them into brownies, cakes, etc.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
This should help you identify the nuts:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph8.htm

The top picture shows the most common (walnut, pecan, brazil, hazlenut, almond, etc.)

As for a recipe? Honestly? I just enjoy shelling the nuts and eating them as you go. Kind of like a fun treat. Put on a good movie, grab an extra bowl for the shells, add a few friends and a nice bottle of wine. You can even serve some sliced cheese and grapes for a scrumptious appetizer. ;D

Then the fun begins. ;) Try to deshell the nut so that the meat comes out in one piece. Brazil nuts are the most difficult to crack.

Yes. Nuts in the shell can be frozen for long term keeping, but they do keep for quite a while (at least a month -- I usually don't have them around much longer than that, so I can't tell you how long they keep.)

In fact, rumor has it (I've never tried it) freezing the nuts makes them easier to crack. Here's a site with tips for mass-cracking if you're going to use the nuts for baking: http://www.ehow.com/how_10768_crack-nuts.html (eta: I've never tried this method, but it sounded like good info.)

Softly Spoken -- please don't take this wrong, but since you seem to be a shell-on-nut novice, here's a variety of nutcrackers if you don't have one (or three for a party;)): http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nutcrackers+for+nuts&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=16744389444&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=929565281521400651&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_5y04wyfvgi_b

I use the "Classic" with the picks -- the picks help you dig out the meat.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:31:45 PM by jpcher »

Softly Spoken

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
This should help you identify the nuts:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph8.htm

The top picture shows the most common (walnut, pecan, brazil, hazlenut, almond, etc.)

As for a recipe? Honestly? I just enjoy shelling the nuts and eating them as you go. Kind of like a fun treat. Put on a good movie, grab an extra bowl for the shells, add a few friends and a nice bottle of wine. You can even serve some sliced cheese and grapes for a scrumptious appetizer. ;D

Then the fun begins. ;) Try to deshell the nut so that the meat comes out in one piece. Brazil nuts are the most difficult to crack.

Yes. Nuts in the shell can be frozen for long term keeping, but they do keep for quite a while (at least a month -- I usually don't have them around much longer than that, so I can't tell you how long they keep.)

In fact, rumor has it (I've never tried it) freezing the nuts makes them easier to crack. Here's a site with tips for mass-cracking if you're going to use the nuts for baking: http://www.ehow.com/how_10768_crack-nuts.html (eta: I've never tried this method, but it sounded like good info.)

Softly Spoken -- please don't take this wrong, but since you seem to be a shell-on-nut novice, here's a variety of nutcrackers if you don't have one (or three for a party;)): http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nutcrackers+for+nuts&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=16744389444&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=929565281521400651&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_5y04wyfvgi_b

I use the "Classic" with the picks -- the picks help you dig out the meat.

Thank you SO much! I have no problem admitting that I have only used preshelled nuts - that's why I posted here.  ;D They were just sitting on the counter...mocking me.  ::) I will figure out what I have, then that will tell me how to crack them, then I will freeze them and use as I find cool recipes to put them in.  :) Woo hoo!
-William Shakespeare

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »

Try this site

http://www.foodsubs.com/Nuts.html

for picture identification. It's also useful for a lot of other stuff (like playing guess that fruit after coming home from the market).

doodlemor

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
Nuts keep for years  in the freezer.  A friend of mine gave me some extra nuts that had been in his freezer.  When I got home I realized that they were dated back in the 80's!  They smelled and looked fine, but...........the idea of eating something that old was unappetizing.  I did give them to the squirrels, who seemed to have no ill effects.

Here is another recipe for the glazed nuts.  It is in grams, but there are a gazillion converter sites online.

http://annesfood.blogspot.com/

Softly Spoken

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »

Try this site

http://www.foodsubs.com/Nuts.html

for picture identification. It's also useful for a lot of other stuff (like playing guess that fruit after coming home from the market).

Not all the nut pics are with shells, but lots of good info, thanks.

Hmmm... so far I can confirm almonds, pecans and walnuts.  ;D
-William Shakespeare