Author Topic: Dear Prudence .... For those not invited, DSTD notices  (Read 10165 times)

heartmug

Re: Dear Prudence .... For those not invited, DSTD notices
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »

...   Emmy's reply.

In light of tough economic times this country is going through, I have decided I can only afford some gifts for special occasions.  I have already preformed a lottery and I am sorry to inform you that your wedding does not appear on the winners gift and my sad duty to report I will not send you a gift.  ...

LOL!  Love this!   ;D

Me too!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

White Lotus

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
The mind boggles!  None of mine are planning weddings yet, but I hope to goodness they never hear of anything so utterly tacky and ill-mannered.  People keep inventing "new" ways (sneeze into your sleeve -- gross!) to replace perfectly adequate conventions that already exist (handkerchiefs, tissues, sinks).  Announcements, people, announcements! 
Keep your wedding about your commitment to each other, get over the idea that your *WEDDING* is the Social Event of the Century, have a meaningful ceremony you can afford, and send proper announcements after the fact.  Not rocket science.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
Owe Deer Lowered.

I always thought the way to have a small wedding was to, you know, plan a small wedding.  Then you can tell people you're getting married "in June" instead of a specific date, and if they ask for the date you can say "We're doing it on the 12th - my grandparents are letting us use their backyard and it's just going to be us and our parents for a tiny little ceremony.  Doesn't it sound exciting?"  So you're not saying "You're not going to be invited," but you're not implying anyone needs to save the date either.  If they're close enough to ask the date, they're close enough to get a description of the plan (read: small).

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
The mind boggles!  None of mine are planning weddings yet, but I hope to goodness they never hear of anything so utterly tacky and ill-mannered.  People keep inventing "new" ways (sneeze into your sleeve -- gross!) to replace perfectly adequate conventions that already exist (handkerchiefs, tissues, sinks). 

That's great, if the person has a clean handkerchief or tissue, or is near enough to a sink. If someone who doesn't sneezes or coughs while riding the subway, say, or at the supermarket, I'd rather they get germs on their sleeves, or on their bare elbows, than on the hands that they will then use to pick up groceries and handle money.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Rohanna

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
Sneezing into your sleeve is not new, and handkercheifs are not ideal for stopping the spread of germs.

http://news.discovery.com/human/health/cover-your-cough-120906.htm

Sneezing into your hands, or into a reusable cloth, allows germs to get onto your hands, and then from there to touch everything you come across all day. How often do you touch the inside of your elbow onto public surfaces?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »
This is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.  It takes tacky to a whole new low.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »
The mind boggles!  None of mine are planning weddings yet, but I hope to goodness they never hear of anything so utterly tacky and ill-mannered.  People keep inventing "new" ways (sneeze into your sleeve -- gross!) to replace perfectly adequate conventions that already exist (handkerchiefs, tissues, sinks).  Announcements, people, announcements! 

This is a medical/epidemiological trend (hence I won't elaborate too much) rather than an etiquette one--they're sort of in separate realms.

POF

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
I think this would work as a reply to a card that says "You are sadly not invited to my wedding."

;)

I love grumpy cat way more than I should. I just want to sit with that cat and be grumpy together.  >:(

Me too ... she looks like she needs a cuddle

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Owe Deer Lowered.

I always thought the way to have a small wedding was to, you know, plan a small wedding.  Then you can tell people you're getting married "in June" instead of a specific date, and if they ask for the date you can say "We're doing it on the 12th - my grandparents are letting us use their backyard and it's just going to be us and our parents for a tiny little ceremony.  Doesn't it sound exciting?"  So you're not saying "You're not going to be invited," but you're not implying anyone needs to save the date either.  If they're close enough to ask the date, they're close enough to get a description of the plan (read: small).

Exactly. That's how it's done by polite people. DSTD is both rude and arrogant- rude in telling people they aren't invited, arrogant in assuming that people are panting to go.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Pandora

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
 I also wonder ..... do you make up a list like those who get invitations?  :o

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
Maybe they make one big list of all possibles, then separate it out as Saves or Don't Saves.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mikayla

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if even half of these are true.  The internet is a dangerous place, indeed!

In my real life, I just don't encounter stuff like this, nor have I heard of anyone who has. 

Pigeon

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 08:10:04 AM »
I clicked the link provided in Prudie's answer.  It contained other useful wedding invite info, such as "Make sure to include a date for your RSVPs."  Good save: I was going to put RSVP WYFLI (when you feel like it)!   ;)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
Does anyone else think this is a blatantly gimme tacktick.

"They are not invited but if I send a DSTD card, then they know when the wedding is and can send me a gift."

There was a previous use of this concept in an entry submitted a number of years ago. The gift issue is addressed.

Anyway, this is today's Dear Abby column. I don't know if you can use it, but if nothing else, it's a good read !

Thanks again for a fun site !

Mrs. Dorrie J.

DEAR ABBY:

Get a load of this pre-wedding announcement. It was delivered via my mailbox at work. I thought I had seen it all, but this takes the cake. With a former co-worker like this, I'm happy I didn't win their lottery. If you print this, please delete all names and addresses. I still work with friends of this couple. - HAPPY TO LOSE THE LOTTERY

DEAR HAPPY: Your enclosure is a first, and I must admit I have  never seen anything quite like it. Read on: "Dear Friends of 'Elmer' and 'Gladys': Our wedding will be a  small but poignant affair held at a log home in the woods in beautiful southern Wisconsin. Due to the physical nature of the  wedding area, there will not be enough space for all the friends and relatives we would dearly love to invite. "After pondering a number of alternatives, we decided that a lottery would be the most equitable manner of dealing with the  space/disappointment problem. We have, indeed, already held
 this lottery with your name included, but alas, it is our sad duty to inform you that your name does not appear on the winners list. Nevertheless, our good wishes go out to you, and
 when our gift from you arrives at the address below, we will thank you in absentia.

"With regrets and respect, ELMER SMITH AND GLADYS JONES"

READERS: Care to comment?

Dorrie's comment : Great ! I could afford a gift of absentia...  >:D

"Oh, we never got your gift! Was it lost in the mail?"

"My gift never received an invitation - I assumed it lost the lottery as well."
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
I think this would work as a reply to a card that says "You are sadly not invited to my wedding."

;)

Now I want a DNSTD just so I can reply with this.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."