General Etiquette > Life...in general

Canceling for this afternoon's event

<< < (2/4) > >>

JenJay:
I was going to say she probably hoped to be feeling better by today, then I read the bit about how she's always doing this.

I would stop inviting her to things where her absence would detract from your enjoyment of the event and not go to any special trouble for her when you do invite her.

doodlemor:

--- Quote from: JenJay on January 20, 2013, 10:22:40 AM ---I was going to say she probably hoped to be feeling better by today, then I read the bit about how she's always doing this.

I would stop inviting her to things where her absence would detract from your enjoyment of the event and not go to any special trouble for her when you do invite her.

--- End quote ---

POD. 

This could be another situation for the big fade out.  Don't invite her to anything where her presence or absence makes a difference, and don't invite her to anything at your home where you are responsible for feeding her.  See if she makes an effort to maintain the friendship.

She should have called several days ago to warn you that she had the flu.  You are justified in your ire.

peaches:

--- Quote from: doodlemor on January 20, 2013, 11:26:53 AM ---She should have called several days ago to warn you that she had the flu.  You are justified in your ire.

--- End quote ---

This is a valid point. The flu can be predicted to last a few days (at least). She could have given OP a heads-up at the outset, and the event rescheduled.

I don't blame you for being annoyed, OP.

kudeebee:
I don't blame you for being annoyed with her.

Since she has a history of doing this, I would stop inviting her to events like this.  Only invite her to a group activity where it really won't matter if she shows up or not.  However, anything that involves a cost, I would collect the money from her ahead of time.  I would find other friends to invite to events, ones that are reliable and won't back out on you.

sweetonsno:
I'd be annoyed, especially because this is a pattern. If it was a one-off, I'd assume that she had expected to get better.

I would never expect a friend to call me more than two days ahead of time about an illness unless it was serious (strep throat, mono, etc) or she had doctor's orders. Because so many minor bugs are tough to predict, I think it would be a tough call to make a few days out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version