Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Chinese dragon cake - now updated with pictures!

<< < (2/4) > >>

sweetonsno:
My best advice you already know: give yourself some extra time (and maybe a glass of vino or camomile tea). In addition to allowing you to work carefully, it also gives you wiggle room if you need to run to the store or take a break to keep yourself from wanting to punch it. I suggest using tweezers to apply the scales, as the heat from your hand can make the candy melts get gooey if you hold them too long. The luster dust also will get all over your fingers and everything you touch.

I'm sure you'll do great! What a cool idea for a cake.

MommyPenguin:
I think I'm gonna skip the luster dust.  The dragon might look a little plainer, but I don't really know what the stuff is or where to get it, and don't need the extra aggravation.  :)  So scales will just be regular candy melts.

Dragon cake day is tomorrow!  Getting nervous.  I've cast the feet and the tail, and I'm about to cast the tongue now.  Figured I'd make those ahead to save myself some time tomorrow.

sweetonsno:
Luster dust is available at specialty kitchen stores (I got mine at a cake and chocolate supply store). It's fun, but definitely an adventure. I can't wait to see the pictures!

jpcher:

--- Quote from: sweetonsno on January 25, 2013, 04:52:37 AM ---Luster dust is available at specialty kitchen stores (I got mine at a cake and chocolate supply store). It's fun, but definitely an adventure. I can't wait to see the pictures!

--- End quote ---

Ditto the bold! ;D

I think it will be an awesome cake . . . no need for luster dust!

MommyPenguin:
Dragon cake is done!  Whew.  I finished it early this afternoon.  I like the body, although I don't love the head.  Mostly because the candy eyes I got are just kinda small proportionally.  I'm somewhat tempted to just mix up a tiny bit of white icing and stick a brown M&M on it to make the eyes, instead of trying to use the candy eyes.  I wrapped him up in plastic wrap and took him downstairs before remembering to take pictures.  :(  So I might take some pictures through the wrap tonight, and then take pictures tomorrow of him in all his glory.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version