News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 05, 2015, 09:32:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Brainer Questions That Apparently Took Some Thought  (Read 3748 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: No Brainer Questions That Apparently Took Some Thought
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
Yes, every time I decline a store card or "rewards" card.
I know the associates are expected to push them as part of their jobs, but so many of them really can't seem to understand why I would not want it. They really seem to think I am going to come out ahead with this magic card that will make the store give me more in perks than I will spend.
No means no, people. I really don't want to give a math lesson every time I check out.

I hate this too, and I am one who has to push them for my job!  I will sign up for the rewards card, if its free,and I know I will shop there again. If i get any rewards, icing on the cake, if i don't, no big deal.

Credit cards? no thank you.

I'm the same -- I'll sign up for free rewards cards, but not ones I have to pay for and definitely not store credit cards. The time that really pissed me off was when the clerk told me all about the benefits of their reward card, I said sure, and she pulled out a credit application. I said, "This is a credit card, not a reward card." "It's the same thing!" No, no, it's really not. You may get some benefits off a credit card, but it's still a credit card, not a reward card.

greencat

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
I know the associates are expected to push them as part of their jobs, but so many of them really can't seem to understand why I would not want it. They really seem to think I am going to come out ahead with this magic card that will make the store give me more in perks than I will spend.
No means no, people. I really don't want to give a math lesson every time I check out.

I hate this too, and I am one who has to push them for my job!  I will sign up for the rewards card, if its free,and I know I will shop there again. If i get any rewards, icing on the cake, if i don't, no big deal.

Credit cards? no thank you.

I'm the same -- I'll sign up for free rewards cards, but not ones I have to pay for and definitely not store credit cards. The time that really pissed me off was when the clerk told me all about the benefits of their reward card, I said sure, and she pulled out a credit application. I said, "This is a credit card, not a reward card." "It's the same thing!" No, no, it's really not. You may get some benefits off a credit card, but it's still a credit card, not a reward card.

The only store card I pay for is the one to the beauty supply store I shop at a lot - it was only $5 and I got more in discounts on my first purchase with it, and subsequent percentage discounts that I've earned by being a club member have paid for the card ten times over.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »

Are you talking about a card that you have to purchase? I was originally thinking of grocery store cards that you use to get the advertised discounted prices. I won't pay for the opportunity to save money on things I may not buy in the future.

I do, however, belong to a warehouse club where we go at least monthly. We know our prices well enough that we buy better quality products for cheaper prices there. They have a regular yearly membership for $50 that gives you the privilege to shop there. I had it for years and have always saved more than I paid. They offered their rewards membership and I declined several times, until I looked at my receipts. The rewards membership is $100 yearly, but I get at least that much, if not more, back in cash rewards over the year, so my rewards membership at $100 costs me nothing versus the $50 I paid before.

Mine has this too, but I also figured it out for me, and I would have had to double or triple my spending to make it worthwhile for me, as one person. So it def pays to do your math when deciding about these things. I work with someone with a family, and for her, totally worth it, but me, not so much

kittytongue

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
Thank you, EllenS!

I buy my nephews (and often my father) books at Christmas, while I am personally a hardcore library user.  The giant store chain near me has a card that would have allowed me to save roughly $9 with my last purchase.  Hunky dory!  I love savings.  Of course, the savings card is $25 and only good for a year.  So, if I spent $25 then and saved $9, I would need to save $16 on next Christmas's gifts to just break even.  No thanks.  By my calculations the card was going to cost me $16, not potentially save me in the future.

And to a certain BullsEye chain super store, after your internet breaches for credit card data last year, the last thing I want to do is give you ALL my credit history and sign up for your card.

So many wonderful clerks understand your 'no' the first time, but the ones who keep pushing drive me batty!

Just wanted to let you know that I worked for this store as an ESTL (assistent manager) for five months. Those poor cashiers have weekly quotas and turnover percentages they have to meet or they will lose their jobs. It works out to every 90ish transactions they are supposed to have one application but the app has to be approved to count. So it's not enough for them just to have someone apply; they have to get someone who either is cool with getting the debit card hooked up to that person's checking account or get someone who qualifies for the credit card. Supposedly corporate has said that no one can be fired for failing to make their quota but I assure you it happens. That's why some of them won't take no for an answer. They're desperate for a card.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »
Oh, I had one!

I wanted to make shelves to go in a cabinet in my old rental apartment. I was going to cover them in contact paper so they'd be vinyl coated. I discussed w/ my dad, and he said, "get the cheapest grade of 1/2-inch plywood and have them cut it."

So I went to the lumberyard and asked about plywood, and they told me I could get a 4'x8' piece of exterior-grade for $15. Great, I said, cut into two pieces 14inches by 12 inches.

The guy says, "But you have to pay us $1 a cut!"
   I'm like, yes, I know, that's what, $3 or $4 more? fine. That's now about $18.
"No, you don't want this, you want pine board."
   I argued with him, then when he kept insisting, I thought, OK, maybe he knows, and told him to write it up for pine.

So now he says, "But to get it 14" deep, you have to get clear pine, with no knots. And we'll have to charge you to cut it down, because it comes in either 12" or 16"."
   The cost? $56, because clear pine is ex-pen-sive.

So, I'm like, "You know what, rip that up, and write down what I tell you. Plywood."
   He's still arguing with me, and I say, "Why in the world would I want to pay $56 for lumber, instead of $15? I only want two stupid shelves, and I'm not going to paint or stain them, so I don't care what they look like."

"But you're buying a piece 4 by 8 feet. You'll have all that leftover wood!"
  I said, "No I won't--you will. Do you think I'm taking it home? I'm going to take my two little pieces of wood that cost me $9 each, and go home. You can do whatever the heck you want to do with that plywood."

He's still arguing! and I'm getting louder. And a manager stops by, because he's been stuck with me so long. And the guy tries to explain to the manager, and I said again, "Why do I want to spend $56 instead of $18?"

The manager says, "cut her the plywood," and walks off.

So the guy writes it up and grumbles the whole time.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
Thank you, EllenS!

I buy my nephews (and often my father) books at Christmas, while I am personally a hardcore library user.  The giant store chain near me has a card that would have allowed me to save roughly $9 with my last purchase.  Hunky dory!  I love savings.  Of course, the savings card is $25 and only good for a year.  So, if I spent $25 then and saved $9, I would need to save $16 on next Christmas's gifts to just break even.  No thanks.  By my calculations the card was going to cost me $16, not potentially save me in the future.

And to a certain BullsEye chain super store, after your internet breaches for credit card data last year, the last thing I want to do is give you ALL my credit history and sign up for your card.

So many wonderful clerks understand your 'no' the first time, but the ones who keep pushing drive me batty!

Just wanted to let you know that I worked for this store as an ESTL (assistent manager) for five months. Those poor cashiers have weekly quotas and turnover percentages they have to meet or they will lose their jobs. It works out to every 90ish transactions they are supposed to have one application but the app has to be approved to count. So it's not enough for them just to have someone apply; they have to get someone who either is cool with getting the debit card hooked up to that person's checking account or get someone who qualifies for the credit card. Supposedly corporate has said that no one can be fired for failing to make their quota but I assure you it happens. That's why some of them won't take no for an answer. They're desperate for a card.

And some stores give rewards to cashiers who enroll people in the rewards program or get them to sign up for a credit card.

I had one job where they gave you "store money" that you could only use on purchases in their stores for every credit card application you took. Some cashiers got hundreds of "dollars" a year opening credit cards.

And the number of applications you took was tracked and you were informed weekly of whether you were hitting your goal (along with selling enough per hour, how tidy your area was on spot checks, things like that). And your whole department was a "team" and credit openings were used on your team score, as well, so not opening cards hurt the whole team when it came to yearly reviews, as they looked at your individual score *and* your team score. It meant the difference between a 10 cent an hour raise and a 13 cent an hour raise--you had to fight for those three extra cents.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

gentlebutterfly

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
A couple of years after I finished college, I came into a little bit of extra money; not a lot, but it was enough to pay off my student loan. So I called the loan company and asked them what my balance was, so I could send them a check. He gave me the number and then asked if I needed the coupon book to remember to pay. I said no, I was planning to pay the whole thing off right then, I just needed the actual total to send it.

He then asked me why I wanted to pay my loan off...

er, to pay it off? So I wouldn't have to send in payments any more?

He just seemed to be in utter disbelief that someone would want to get rid of one of their debts early. :D

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 10:00:41 AM »

I feel sorry for the employees - but someone needs to take a clue by 4 upside the bosses' heads - then drop a ton of bricks on them. I wanted to get my niece and nephew books - but I wasn't going to run that gauntlet. So we ordered from Amazon and they get the fun of getting a package in the mail. If I could just go in and buy them a book, I would have done it so we could have enjoyed the books right then.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future