Author Topic: Your earliest memory . . .  (Read 2597 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Your earliest memory . . .
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 11:50:11 PM »
My very earliest memory is of being at a park that had a stone fence and stone arches with my parents.  I had a purple balloon, and my balloon got away.  I would have had to be about 2 at the time, as my brother wasn't born yet and he's only 2 years and 8 months younger than me.  I have some memories of the house we lived in after he was born and before we moved to Japan.  Judging from our passport picture I looked to be about 3, and Bro was a newborn, so this would have been late 1961.

I also still remember the dream I had the night I broke my arm the first time - I was six.  I dreamed I had been buried and was in H3ll, looking for a bathroom. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2013, 01:34:32 AM »
This is a weird memory from so far back that I don't remember it never being there.

A  young woman in a red dress is standing halfway down a long stairway in a smoky room.  It reminded me of a bar or club.  Is that woman me?  It makes me wonder about reincarnation.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
I have one early memory that I'm not positive wasn't just a dream. I remember being on a cement porch at our old house and being very afraid of falling off and clinging to the white support post so I wouldn't. The corner of the porch looks really scary and heavy and sharp, as does the door to the garage, which seems like a really, really long way away. I couldn't have been older than six, because I have much clearer memories of us moving when I was five, eating peanut butter sandwiches on the green cushions in the new house while Mom was painting. The new house had a bouncy horse which wasn't ours, and I was not allowed to play on it, even though I wanted to SO BAD. I even remember the smell of the springs on that darn horse.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
I don't remember this but I don't doubt that it happened. 

I must have been about three and I was still very attached to a pacifier.  A friend of Mom's had recently given birth and we were invited to visit the new baby.

My mother had a brilliant idea.  She asked me if I wanted to leave my pacifier as a gift for the baby.  I agreed and never used the pacifier again. 

I can see myself putting the pacifier into the crib but don't quite know if it's a false memory or not.   

cwm

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »
I have a few vague memories from childhood, but there are a few that stand out.

My great grandma's house was always dark and creepy to me. She had dark wood paneling everywhere, windows were covered with blinds and curtains, and the house was filled with dolls. I can remember one year dad was going over to help her with some yardwork, and I got to jump in the pile of leaves, then he walked with me down to the gas station a block away to get a soda. She moved into a nursing home when I was about five or six, I think.

I also remember being very young at grandma's house. She had a hide-a-bed in the second bedroom, so Sis and I would argue over who slept where. I ended up under it half the time because it was nice. And grandma always had a big collection of Matchbox cars and games to play with.

Grandma's house also had a covered patio. We'd go sit out on it in the evenings and listen to the races several miles away. (Not Nascar, not sure what kind of races there were, as the only racetrack I can remember near where they lived was horse/dog tracks.) Sis and I were also enthralled by the bug zapper. We'd stare at it for hours in the evenings. We'd even have chocolate milk made with some sort of off-brand powder. Sis and I thought it was the best thing in the world, we never got chocolate milk at home.

Another clear memory is going with Gma and Gpa to the auctions. Grandpa really wanted to go, and we were with them for the weekend, so we went. Sis and I walked around beforehand and looked at all the pretty stuff, then when the auction started, grandma took us back to the back area where there was a concession booth that was like a mini-restaurant and we played quietly back there until we fell asleep, then she'd go get grandpa and they'd load us in the car and take us home.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »
After writing about my earliest memory, I thought about all the other memories I had between 2 1/2 and 3. I know these memories were from that period because we moved into this specific house when I was 2 1/2 and moved 6 months later.

Sitting in the car and watching my mom run through the rain back to the house because she had forgotten something. Sister and I were giggling because we'd never seen my mom run before. (Sometime around 1967-68 so picture a 35 year old (I was a later in life baby for that era) with tall beehive and short mini skirt and heels and her putting her purse above her head to protect that hair).

Getting caught sitting under the kitchen table cutting the hair off a bunch of baby dolls I was told by older sisters to play with. (I did not like dolls.)

Family friends coming over and watching them and my sisters go into the garden to pick and eat ripe tomatos, being offered one and being so dissapointed that weren't "sweet" like I had been told. I still hate raw tomatos.

Mean great aunt coming over to babysit sis and I and her telling us we couldn't do something mom had said we could and us doing it anyway. When she caught us she threatened to spank us so sis hid under the bed till mom got home and I got the sole spanking. We never did like that aunt and mom never let her babysit us again. She's the reason I laugh today when people say "She hates kids because she doesn't want my precious screaming in her ear." No, that woman hated kids. Thank goodness she was wise enough to never have any. She didn't allow anyone under 16 to sit on her furniture, you had to sit on the floor or stay outside. And in her home, you were not allowed to speak unless you were spoken to first until you were 16. Mean aunt was my grandfather's sister. He loved to tease all of us with "Let's all go visit your Aunt Bella" to get a raise out of us.

z_squared82

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
I was less than 2 years old, which I can only deduce b/c the memory was from the parents’ first house, and we moved out of there when my little brother was born, and he’s two years younger than me.

I had opened the lid of a big trunk to look at what was inside and I guess it was too heavy b/c I dropped the lid. On my hand. It hurt. And there was turquoise-colored shag carpet.

Lexophile

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
I was about 2 years old and my parents took me to my first fireworks display. I remember one particular part because it looked like a tree growing up out of the ground and it scared the living daylights out of me.

I don't remember this part, but my dad says I actually was so scared I bit a chunk out of his shoulder.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 11:15:05 PM »
I had to have been about 2 1/2 or 3, because Younger Brother was still in a high chair, and there are only 17 months difference in our age.  Mom was making oatmeal raisin cookies, and she gave us each one.  She left the room, and I decided to get us more cookies.  But there was something wrong with them -- they weren't brown and warm and delicious, but white and cold and sticky.

They weren't baked, of course!  ;D

(Mmm, oatmeal raisin cookies right out of the oven, one of my favorite comfort foods.  Now DH's, as well.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cwm

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
I just remembered how the park used to be by my house. And there's another memory, but I'm not sure if it's real or not.

Anyway, this park was amazing. There was what I called the "elephant slide" and the "red slide". The red slide had a big chain web you had to climb up to get to the top and slide down. It was always in the sun, and it always burned my legs going down, but I loved climbing that chain! And the elephant slide had a cover at the top. There were also see-saws. Honest to goodness, slabs of metal with wood seats on a hinge, see-saws. I had a blast with those.

And there was this one thing, it was like a tire swing suspended from a big frame, but it was actually closer to two seats on a metal bar...it's really hard to describe, but two kids could swing from it. Anyway, I distinctly remember a big party at that park and one of the kids got under there while two of the older ones were swinging. And I remember it being horrible and gory, though in all actuality if it really happened, it was probably no more than a goose egg or a small cut.

I miss that park. I mean, the park is still there, but they've gotten rid of all the low hanging branches on the pine trees in the back, so no more climbing them. They got rid of the sandbox and all the fun equipment like the hanging bridge that would actually move and the chain ladder to the slides that got hot in the summer. Now there's hardly anything there resembling the old park at all and it makes me sad.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »
When I was 3, my parents were building the house I spent most of my childhood in.  We lived in a mobile home during the building.  My dad and uncle were in the home working on something. 

I remember going up the front steps of the new house to tell them lunch was ready.  Then I saw a huge toad right by my foot and started screaming.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
Not my earliest memory (I mentioned that on page 1) but I do remember quite a few things from before I could read or read well (someone else mentioned that upthread). For example, I remember riding in the car a lot (passenger seat, which was allowed then) and looking at the words on the side mirror, wondering what they said, and trying to figure it out--I realized it couldn't be something time-sensitive, like that the circus was coming to town, because they were etched on all these mirrors. Imagine my disappointment when I was finally able to read, "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear"!

Another one is at Sunday School, we would do a lot of singing, which I really enjoyed. We had booklets with just the words to all the songs (not the music) and some of the songs were quite long, with many verses. I would be sitting there by myself, trying to just remember the words, because I couldn't actually read them from the page yet. But, I also realized that some day I would be able to, and I looked forward to that.

Also, when I was young I was completely unable to read cursive handwriting--it might as well have been hieroglyphics or some other script I wasn't familiar with. I think we learned to write in cursive in third grade (~age 9) but before that it didn't even seem like real writing to me, so I can remember staring at some things written in it with utter confusion. If someone asked me to read something written in cursive it was like they were asking me to read Martian.
~Lynn2000