Author Topic: Best lotions/cremes for rough dry winter hands  (Read 394 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Best lotions/cremes for rough dry winter hands
« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:31:58 AM »

I use shea butter for my hands.  I'll also melt shea butter and vaseline intensive care together as well. 

I've been using straight jojoba oil for my skin this year, and incidently my hands have been awesome. 

I have not figured out how to carry liquid oils around and not have them go all over the place, so I'm interested in the other replies. 

So for the picky among us (me) are any of the previous options available unscented?

Can you buy an empty flip top container with a small hole?  This way the oil is secure and it doesn't come out in a large quantity when you use it.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: Today at 02:20:43 AM »
When I used to work at the pretzel shop and dip my hands in baking soda water all day, the only thing that worked was to apply a thick coat of Vaseline and a pair of socks at bedtime around once each week.
Another vote for Vaseline. Note: if u use it on your feet at night be careful about walking barefoot on bare floors. I do put socks on but invariably I will kick therm off in my sleep.

Coconut oil also works, but then one smells like coconuts...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

4x4filly

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:41:30 AM »
Corn Husker's or Bag Balm :)  Best dry skin therapy ever!

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: Today at 03:22:53 AM »
Body Shop hemp cream for hands.  Housemate gets an almost excema-like rash in winter, but this stuff keeps it away.  The whole hemp oil range is great.

The Olive Body Butter is also great--not as thick as the hemp cream but goes on smooth and has a mild scent.

I used to get the Blueberry until the discontinued it.  And I liked some of the fruit scents.  But, I had a few instances of people looking around for fruit salad when I would wear it...

YummyMummy66

« Reply #19 on: Today at 06:35:05 AM »
I think there are many different products out there that do work, you just have to use them consistently.

I use a variety of lotions, but if I forget to put I on at night at bedtime, I can tell the difference. 

I try and lotion my hands and feet every night.  For that I use Vaseline with cocoa butter.  Love the smell.   

I use different hand lotions through out the day, but the one that has been doing the best for me is Suave with Moroccan infusion.    Smells really good too and not expensive and no greasy feeling. 

Octavia

« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:44:51 AM »
Until recently I used pure coconut oil as my heavy-duty moisturizer. I enjoyed the scent as well. Unfortunately I developed a skin sensitivity to it and can no longer use it - apparently that is not uncommon. But many other people really like it. So I'm watching this thread with interest while I look for my new lotion.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: Today at 11:16:31 AM »
I make my own lotion with emulsifying wax, water, and sweet almond oil. I have very dry skin, so I use it as hand, face, and body lotion, basically whenever I wash anything. I also avoid showering more frequently than is really necessary (usually every other day), since soap and water are both very drying. This lotion is, hands down, the very best and cheapest I've ever used. It soaks in wonderfully, and feels so good on dry skin when I put it on.

I also agree about using whatever you use consistently. If I don't just automatically apply lotion whenever my skin comes into contact with water, it shows it. My hands in particular are prone to cracked skin and eczema patches, so regular lotion application is key for preventing that. Plus, prevention is much easier than trying to fix dry, cracked skin.

When my hands or feet need some extra TLC, I use coconut oil and wear socks overnight.

Octavia, you could try using a butter, like shea or cocoa. I use mango butter as part of a combination of oils I use to cleanse my face (oil cleansing method, but the oil is made solid with beeswax and mango butter). I like the mango because it doesn't really smell like anything.