News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 30, 2015, 06:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automated customer svc – those loooong preambles & requests to answer survey  (Read 976 times)

ezbliss

Okay, I can appreciate that most companies are trying to do their best as far as providing service.  I also know that the employees are just trying to do a job.  But I get annoyed when it takes so long to get thru to someone who can help me.

“This call may be monitored for quality assurance”
then
“We are experiencing long wait times”
then I have to punch various numbers to navigate the menu.
I wait…and wait…
Sometimes I get disconnected and have to start over. >:(

So I finally get someone. Yay! :)
When we finish discussing (whatever) I’m asked if I would mind holding to participate in a customer satisfaction survey, or if I would like to hear about new products and services.  (aaahhh, they want more of my money…)  No, thanks.

If I have to call, I’ve already researched my records, and sometimes I’m already frustrated, but I take a deep breath and forge ahead.

OTOH, I usually don’t mind calling to participate in a survey printed on my receipt because supposedly I have the chance to win a chunk of money. I just wait until I have some time and dial in, (survey usually takes about 8-10 minutes), keeping my fingers crossed for that call telling me I’ve won something.

Do you get frustrated by long automated menus?
Do you participate in the surveys?
Ever win or know anyone who has?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:34:50 PM by ezbliss »

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
I've found that hitting the 0 button repeatedly gets me to an operator the quickest. 

I don't mind holding as long as I'm holding for a representative.  I don't take surveys unless they are the 1 question kind. 
Maryland

ezbliss

I've found that hitting the 0 button repeatedly gets me to an operator the quickest. 

Yes, the "0" key is often my friend, but not always right away.  If this is my first time calling, I might have to press 1 if I have an acct, press 2 if I want to make a pymt, press 3 if I want to report a lost or stolen card, then press 4 for other options, then listen to more menus and then press 0 (or some other digit) to speak to someone.

Jocelyn

What I really hate is having to answer security questions or enter my account number, and then the first thing the CSR does is ask me the questions all over again!

ezbliss

What I really hate is having to answer security questions or enter my account number, and then the first thing the CSR does is ask me the questions all over again!
I had that happen recently (after I pressed "0")....asked for last 4 of SSN, full name and full address, policy number, and mother's maiden name.

Bottlecaps

• She boxed her shadow and she won.
I used to work customer service - believe me, I hated trying to sell customers things just as much as, if not more than, they hated having to listen to it and repeatedly tell me "No." But, if I my call got randomly pulled by QA and I hadn't made an attempt to sell, I would be reprimanded, up to being fired. I know it stinks having to listen to the sales spiel. :( It took a lot of gumption (and one heck of a thick skin) to attempt to sell more products to unhappy customers. That's one of the biggest reasons why I quit the call center and went back to churning out grub for a living for the time being. The vendor I worked for, and the company to which the vendor was contracted, was ruthless. They would force us to try to sell DSL internet to anyone who was in an area that was available for it - and so many of my calls came from people on fixed incomes who didn't even own a computer, smartphone, or gaming system, and they wanted me to try to sell them DSL internet!  >:( Sigh. I only lasted a few months there because I just couldn't be that heartless - and since I was working for a vendor and not for the company itself, I was very limited in what I was actually able to do to help the customers. If I could have actually fixed a lot of the issues that came onto my line, it might have been better, but nope. And talk about misdirected calls - people got stuck in phone tree hell with this particular company. Someone who had already been transferred three times would end up on my line, only to find out that I couldn't do anything for them and I'd have to transfer them again. I felt so bad for so many of these people. If I can sound conceited for a minute, lol, I think maybe I had too much of a heart to work there. For every jerk that came on my line, there was also someone who had a problem who was being nice and I couldn't help them because of my limited powers as a vendor employee and it just made me feel awful. It was so depressing. :(

Sorry, that kind of turned into me talking about how terrible it was to be on the other end of the line, lol.

I do urge you though, if they invite you take a survey at the end of the call grading their service, and you have a couple extra minutes, do it. :) It directly affects that agent, so if they weren't helpful and weren't a good customer service rep, it lets their supervisors know it, and if they are helpful, they sometimes get little perks for having good scores on the surveys. I spent a good chunk of my time at the call center being exempt from mandatory ten-hour Mondays because I had good feedback from the surveys! :) Some places give the agents bonuses for good scores, or other smaller prizes. Either way, it really does the agent a favor - it lets them know what they're doing wrong, or lets them know that they're doing things right. Of course you don't have to do it, but if the agent was exceptionally horrible/rude or exceptionally awesome, it does help to do the survey because it lets their superiors know.

I don't mind holding, as PastryGoddess said, as long as I'm holding for a rep. I just don't know what to do when I'm holding because I don't want to be distracted when they finally do come on the line, or worse, in the bathroom, lol. (I have this thing about being on the phone while using the bathroom, especially with a business call.)

I do the surveys on receipts - mainly because I want a chance to win some money, lol, but also because I want the company to get my feedback. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:43:56 PM by Bottlecaps »
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

ezbliss

but if the agent was exceptionally horrible/rude or exceptionally awesome, it does help to do the survey because it lets their superiors know.

I agree.  And I know their job isn't easy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:50:43 PM by ezbliss »

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store

Yes, the "0" key is often my friend, but not always right away.  If this is my first time calling, I might have to press 1 if I have an acct, press 2 if I want to make a pymt, press 3 if I want to report a lost or stolen card, then press 4 for other options, then listen to more menus and then press 0 (or some other digit) to speak to someone.

Even then I just hit 0.  If you press and hold it, it tends to override the menu
Maryland

cass2591

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure why you even thought this was anything but a rant, which is not allowed.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.