Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5740055 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #30405 on: December 17, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
Ah, I admit I did not RTFA (read the flippin' article   ;D), I thought it was dirrected at MissRose.  In any case, in no way was anyone but the mother at fault.  Including for the daughter's reaction, because she's obviously such a helicopter mom that I'd bet she has a Bell or Sikorsky tattoo on her somewhere.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #30406 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

I don't know if kherbert was responding to Miss Rose or the article (or the click through article). Both articles (IMO) were trying to imply that Trebek was being the SS, and that the mom was just a reasonable person who wanted to give her kid a chance to make a graceful exit.

Like kherbert said, the child was old enough to be on the show. If she stormed off in tears, those were her actions, good or bad. There would be no reason for Trebek to go comfort her - why would the mother even have thought that was an option? Personally, if I were Trebek, I wouldn't want to approach her because I'd be worried that I'd be treated to a whiny it's not faaaaaaaaair diatribe.
It was the tone of the articles. They seemed to imply that just because Alex had the power to say no that made him entitled.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #30407 on: December 17, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »

I don't know if kherbert was responding to Miss Rose or the article (or the click through article). Both articles (IMO) were trying to imply that Trebek was being the SS, and that the mom was just a reasonable person who wanted to give her kid a chance to make a graceful exit.

Like kherbert said, the child was old enough to be on the show. If she stormed off in tears, those were her actions, good or bad. There would be no reason for Trebek to go comfort her - why would the mother even have thought that was an option? Personally, if I were Trebek, I wouldn't want to approach her because I'd be worried that I'd be treated to a whiny it's not faaaaaaaaair diatribe.

It was the tone of the articles. They seemed to imply that just because Alex had the power to say no that made him entitled.

Sorry about that. I thought you were responding to MissRoss. My apologies.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #30408 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »

Well *that's* just stupid.

Reika

« Reply #30409 on: December 17, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »

Well *that's* just stupid.

And silly of the mother to think that Alex would abide by her wishes. While I haven't watched Jeopardy in years (I don't watch much tv anymore) I do remember that there have been people not invited back due to poor sportsmanship. I can't see them changing that.

Gyburc

« Reply #30410 on: Today at 06:00:14 AM »
Driving Special Snowflake yesterday...

DH and I were driving home yesterday along the A-road that goes past our village. It's a single carriageway but a nice wide road, so people do often overtake if someone is going slow. Most people overtake when there is space and it is safe to do so.

Not SS Tooimportanttowaitbehindanyone!

I was driving along quite happily, noticing that there were a lot of cars coming the other way quite slowly. Then suddenly I realized one of the cars heading towards me was pulling out of their lane into mine. No indicator, no flashing lights - he just pulled out and began overtaking.  :o I braked and pulled over to the side, and managed not to hit him but it was pretty close.

In my rear-view mirror I could see him just merrily driving down the centre of the road, rather like a motorbike doing that 'filtering' manoeuvre, overtaking all the cars going his way and forcing all the oncoming traffic out of his way as he went along.  Still no signal or anything. It's possible he was planning to turn right at the next lights, but the next lights were about half a mile away.

I really hope he met a police car.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you