News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 10:57:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters  (Read 127939 times)

gypsy77

Re: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
This thread has reminded me of this old game show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFXK-bhMug

I really wanted to be on it, but my mom never wanted to sign us up for some reason.....

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Well, there was the time I was sorting my stamp collection on the kitchen table, right next to the oven. My mom was taking the Thanksgiving turkey out of the oven when the pan slipped and it dropped a little. Nothing wrong there, nothing broken, but... This created a little gust of wind, the stamps flew up and landed right on the turkey. I still have the grease-stained stamps somewhere around here. The gravy came out great, BTW.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
Well, there was the time I was sorting my stamp collection on the kitchen table, right next to the oven. My mom was taking the Thanksgiving turkey out of the oven when the pan slipped and it dropped a little. Nothing wrong there, nothing broken, but... This created a little gust of wind, the stamps flew up and landed right on the turkey. I still have the grease-stained stamps somewhere around here. The gravy came out great, BTW.

Somehow, I suspect there is not enough postage in the world to let you mail a turkey. ;D ;D
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
This wasn't a huge disaster, but about ten years ago I saw a recipe for pasta with a lemon cream sauce.  It sounded good, and I followed the recipe to the letter.  The sauce curdled, and it smelled and tasted disgusting.

Me: *knocks on parents' bedroom door* We're having pizza tonight.
Dad:  :o I thought we were having--
Me: Don't ask...  ;D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
I currently have stiches in my foot and have to keep it elevated, so I can only observe the disaster 5 feet from me.

DD made some absolutely delicious Eggs Benedict for the family.
She wasn't hungry earlier so she waited for the second (and final) batch before serving herself.

She made a lovely plate of breakfast and got a tray to eat in front of the TV. (Yeah, we do that a lot.)
Picked up the tray to re-position it and the plate slipped off, flipping upside down while falling and dumping everything on the living room carpet. :o

My living room has a yellow, gooey splatter in the middle if it.
The two eggs and the yellow spray look like Big Bird had a toileting incident.
There is hollandaise sauce on the couch, the footstool and in a crime-scene worthy spray pattern all over the floor.

DH, DS and DD scrubbed it, but the yellow marks remain. They spray treated and it looks like they'll have to rent a carpet cleaner.

Anyone know how to get hollandaise sauce out of carpet??  ??? ???

"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

gramma dishes

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
...   Anyone know how to get hollandaise sauce out of carpet??  ??? ???

Yes.  Rent a dog.   ;D

Your wonderful descriptive terms made your story so much fun to read! 

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »
...   Anyone know how to get hollandaise sauce out of carpet??  ??? ???

Yes.  Rent a dog.   ;D

Your wonderful descriptive terms made your story so much fun to read!

Thanks Gramma Dishes. I was trying to find the humour in it, as the whole mess was rather spectacular.

The dog would happily clean it up, but our dog hasn't yet realized that just because she wants to eat something means that she should eat something.

She hasn't ever eaten anything weird (like crayons), but we've learned the hard way that many foods don't agree with her.
Those culinary/gastric disasters have not been nearly so entertaining! :P

Nora

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
I'm usually a decent enough chef, but I'm also incredibly easily distracted. I also like to feed begging animals scraps. This combination resulted in me one night absentmindedly adding the freshly chopped chilly to a hot wok containing only oil and copious amounts of garlic, thereby napalming the everloving Beezus out of myself and the dog. Seriously, a huge cloud rose like a phoenix from the wok, and all my mind did was go "bad move, Nora" before going uselessly and utterly blank. Then the burning started. Dh came running to see what the screams where about and encountered the dog blindly running into walls trying to get out of the kitchen, with me chanting "stupid, stupid, stupid" with my face under the tap, and while he's standing there wondering what we're carrying on about the cloud reaches the doorway.

I do believe we had sandwiches and ointment for dinner that night.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

gramma dishes

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »
^^^

:o :) ;D

Great tale, wonderfully and humorously related.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
Oh, Nora, you have a gift with the language, you do.  The cat is wondering why I'm laughing so hard.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »

I do believe we had sandwiches and ointment for dinner that night.

That sounds sort of meme-like for all the days we've all had where everything just goes sideways. :)

"What's going on?", glancing around at zombies and rubble.

"Oh, not much. It's been one of those days."

Dusts off remains of the kitchen counter, "What's for dinner?"

"Sandwiches and ointment again."

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »
Try an enzymatic cleaner - the stain are fatty and you need something that will dissolve fat.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
I once made the classic mistake of forgetting to remove the stuffing from the bag on Thanksgiving. I burned the turkey too. Oops.
Who is the Doctor?

GreenHall

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »
I dumped The sugar container today...twice.  And this was after I placed a plastic bag on the just turned off burner...

...I warmed up leftovers for dinner, rather than risking any more mini-disasters.

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2013, 01:13:11 AM »
I don't know if it qualifies as a disaster, but I have... issues with eggs.

I am really good at cracking and separating the white from the yolk, even without the plastic helpers. However, I almost always accidentally end up throwing away the part that I was supposed to use in the recipe. I kill a lot of eggs in my pursuit of yummy food goodness.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/