A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters

<< < (46/80) > >>

Nikko-chan:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on February 12, 2013, 11:41:30 PM ---I don't know what I did to ruin the gingerbread muffins that I made, but I suspect that I left out the baking soda, because they didn't rise.  At all.  :P Not done in the middle either, IIRC.  I cut them into slices, put them back into the oven at about 175oF, and left them there until they were hard as rocks.

The dog thought they were the best treats ever.  ;D

--- End quote ---

See I don't think that was a disaster... you at least got treats out of it for your pooch! What would have really been a disaster is if they would have burned!

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: Nikko-chan on February 13, 2013, 02:30:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: Elfmama on February 12, 2013, 11:41:30 PM ---I don't know what I did to ruin the gingerbread muffins that I made, but I suspect that I left out the baking soda, because they didn't rise.  At all.  :P Not done in the middle either, IIRC.  I cut them into slices, put them back into the oven at about 175oF, and left them there until they were hard as rocks.

The dog thought they were the best treats ever.  ;D

--- End quote ---

See I don't think that was a disaster... you at least got treats out of it for your pooch! What would have really been a disaster is if they would have burned!

--- End quote ---
My mother burned waffles once.  Mom usually burned the first one of a batch, but this time she really outdid herself.  Even the dog wouldn't eat it -- he gave it decent burial in the back yard.

Mediancat:
My disaster, which is fairly minor, involved making some italian bread sticks. I took bread sticks, brushed them with melted butter, then sprinkled italian seasoning, red pepper and what I thought was garlic on top, then baked them.

They came out nice and golden brown. I had some marinara sauce ready to dip them in. One bite; two bites; okay, what's wrong --

Oh.

What I had thought was garlic powder, turned out to be cinnamon sugar. Cinnamon sugar, red pepper and italian seasoning breadsticks, dipped in marinara, is not tasty.

Rob

Thipu1:
The cinnamon sugar story reminds me of something that was carried down in our family for years. 

My mother learned to make her spaghetti sauce from an Italian neighbor.  It was a tasty sauce but something was a little off. When I went off on my own, I figured it out. 

When she was told the recipe, Mom wrote it down.  The recipe called for 'three cloves of garlic'.  Mom heard the 'three cloves' but she didn't hear the 'garlic'.  As a result, our home-made spaghetti sauce always included whole cloves but no garlic.

Outdoor Girl:
That's funny!  But the flavour isn't so off.  My chili recipe calls for whole cloves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version