A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters

<< < (54/77) > >>

Rohanna:
We use the oven for "warming" when we're making up a big batch of pancakes for holidays- that way I/my husband can sit and eat with the family instead of being a short-order cook :)

AustenFan:

--- Quote from: jedikaiti on February 22, 2013, 04:16:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: Elfmama on February 22, 2013, 04:11:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: mmswm on February 22, 2013, 02:05:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Amara on February 22, 2013, 01:53:37 PM ---Hoo boy: http://consumerist.com/2013/02/22/warning-do-not-store-your-glock-and-ammo-in-the-oven/

--- End quote ---

I have no idea what to say.

--- End quote ---
How about "Why would you heat up the OVEN to make waffles?" ???

--- End quote ---

Leggo my Eggo?

They may have been Pre-made heat-n-serve waffles, and either there wasn't a toaster/countertop oven available, or they were making a whole bunch. My guess anyway.

--- End quote ---

I amow craving the pre-made Belgium waffles from Costco, have none in the house and now am going to be making a trip to Costco later. Waffles and turkey bacon for dinner in the Austen house tonight!! Thanks, jedikati.  ;D

Carotte:
I had a disaster in the making, home-made tomato sauce that I'm supposed to baby-sit (it's my SO's sauce) was starting to scorch on the bottom.
Since he doesn't need to know I almost ruined this batch* I put it away, am cleaning the saucepan from all evidence and will put it back in the clean 'original' saucepan later.

*Since I ruined the previous one, even if I think we share the blame on this one he still think it's my fault.

Amara:
Pulling this up because I need some help. Last night I made scallops (Alton Brown's recipe), and then in the same pan I  cooked a chicken breast in the same butter/olive oil combination. They were delicious but unfortunately I must have had the heat on a bit too high because I ended up with blackened stuff in the bottom of the pan.

The pan, alas, is a Le Crueset skillet. I went online to see what others had done and among the suggestions was one to use dishwasher detergent and hot water and let it soak. I did, but I had the brilliant ( ::)) idea of putting it on the stove on a low setting to keep the water hot. Well, the water ended up boiling away and I was left with a layer of white. I soaked it in more water, then rinsed it out under hot running water. It all came away, both the black and the white bits, but now I see that my lovely black interior has a big section of gray. Dark gray, but still. What can I do? Does the cleaner that Le Crueset sells help with this? Do you have any other ideas?

And yes, I plan to use a lower heat next time.

ladyknight1:
The interior is cast iron, correct? You need to season it just like any cast iron pan. Take vegetable oil or shortening, use a wad of paper towels to rub it on, then put it in the oven on 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. Repeat as necessary until you have a glossy black surface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version