A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters

<< < (69/77) > >>

Lady Snowdon:
Once, and only once, did my mom give me the instructions "When the timer goes off, just turn the timer off".  In her head, she completed the sentence with "and call me and take the pan out of the oven".  Since I'm not telepathic, I just did exactly what she said, and not what she thought she said.  The meatloaf was so dried out that we needed steak knives to saw through it!  :P 

My mom now generally clarifies what needs to be done with food in the oven when the timer goes off, and if she doesn't, I know to ask for additional information! >:D

Chipmunky:
Sorry to bump this up, but I read amandaelizabeth's posts via links from the Misc Holiday Stories, and had to share these two...both caused/created by my mother.

Went to visit friends. Friends had recently remodeled their kitchen. Kitchen is now expensive, but Mom is helping with meal prep. Mom opens oven after learning Friend's mother put bread in there, but forgot to take it out 10 minutes ago. WOOOSH. Flaming bread bits are everywhere, and the cupboard and ceiling above the oven (both done in a pale, pale wood) are now very scorched, blackish brown.

Second time. We live in a hurricane path state. 2004, we have multiple storms come through in August/September. We lose power, but not to worry, we're prepared for this with a cooler for the perishables. Dad decides he wants hot dogs. Mind you, it's still raining/windy. But we've a covered porch, and a new little table top grill. I am told to start that puppy up, as I'm off to college in a year and need to know how to take care of this stuff for myself (my Dad was previously always the grill master). Mom sees me preparing everything, tells me I didn't use enough lighter fluid, squirts on about a third of the bottle, and lights the match. We're lucky it didn't explode, but Mom got a slightly different hairstyle and didn't have to tweeze her brows for a month from the ensuing blast of flames.

We now just do PB and Js.

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Chipmunky on December 16, 2014, 12:44:01 PM ---Sorry to bump this up, but I read amandaelizabeth's posts via links from the Misc Holiday Stories, and had to share these two...both caused/created by my mother.

Went to visit friends. Friends had recently remodeled their kitchen. Kitchen is now expensive, but Mom is helping with meal prep. Mom opens oven after learning Friend's mother put bread in there, but forgot to take it out 10 minutes ago. WOOOSH. Flaming bread bits are everywhere, and the cupboard and ceiling above the oven (both done in a pale, pale wood) are now very scorched, blackish brown.

Second time. We live in a hurricane path state. 2004, we have multiple storms come through in August/September. We lose power, but not to worry, we're prepared for this with a cooler for the perishables. Dad decides he wants hot dogs. Mind you, it's still raining/windy. But we've a covered porch, and a new little table top grill. I am told to start that puppy up, as I'm off to college in a year and need to know how to take care of this stuff for myself (my Dad was previously always the grill master). Mom sees me preparing everything, tells me I didn't use enough lighter fluid, squirts on about a third of the bottle, and lights the match. We're lucky it didn't explode, but Mom got a slightly different hairstyle and didn't have to tweeze her brows for a month from the ensuing blast of flames.

We now just do PB and Js.

--- End quote ---

Slightly off topic, but this allows you to forgo lighter fluid altogether:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rapidfire-Chimney-Starter/dp/B000WEOQV8

I bought one this summer, and I will never go back to how things were!

Chipmunky:

Slightly off topic, but this allows you to forgo lighter fluid altogether:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rapidfire-Chimney-Starter/dp/B000WEOQV8

I bought one this summer, and I will never go back to how things were!
[/quote]

I bought one of those last February for my husband to go with his new grill  ;D After tasting how well he does steaks, my folks don't like to grill without him.  8)

ladyknight1:
I love our chimney starter I hate it when my neighbors use their grill as he uses half a bottle of lighter fluid.

Not quite a disaster, but I forgot how quickly pumpkin puree and custard for pies can become airborne. I'm still finding splats of orange.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version