News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 10:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters  (Read 127733 times)

Specky

Re: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters
« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »
...I hesitate to ask, but did your husband put that thing in the freezer?   :o

Yep.  A research scientist friend brought it to him because he thought it was the coolest thing.

andi

« Reply #346 on: December 16, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
Holy snot - my DH may be looking at divorce papers if that thing was in my freezer. I screamed opening the link.

Adelaide

« Reply #347 on: December 16, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
The other day I made sugar cookies with a recipe that called for them to be made with a mixer. I don't have one, but I soldiered on. They were perfect fresh out of the oven, but within 10 minutes of cooling they were rock-hard. I can only assume I worked the dough too long.

This is less of a "kitchen disaster" and more of a "general food disaster", but I made muffins for some friends and brought them over while they were still warm. I left one corner of the container open and told the others to leave it like that for a bit until they cooled, but when another girl friend came by she hadn't gotten the memo, so they turned out wet and gross from the condensation that formed in the lid.

mmswm

« Reply #348 on: December 16, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »
I was fixing supper and putting dishes away at the same time.  I had a stack of bowls next to the cooktop that I was getting ready to put back in the cabinets during breaks in cooking.

I opened the freezer door to get something and found myself eye to eye with a giant isopod http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Bathynomus_giganteus.jpg/330px-Bathynomus_giganteus.jpg  (the one that is about a foot long)

I shrieked and threw myself backwards, running into the stack of bowls, losing my balance and doing the hard sit down while bowls rained down around me and onto the cooktop.  Something spilled and there was a large puddle of slippery on the floor.  My husband heard the cacophony and came running.  He hit the goo puddle and slalomed the length of the kitchen until he ran into my legs and fell down.  He looked up and saw the freezer door standing open and said, "Oh.  I forgot to tell you."

We ended up with a couple of broken bowls, and the glass cooktop was cracked as well when a bowl landed on it.  Never could get eau de isopod out of the freezer, so we ended up having to replace it as well.

I laughed at this mostly because I can envision a similar scene playing out in my house. Right now there's a dead goldfish on the freezer door.

ETA:  I showed this to bf, who saw nothing wrong with Specky's husband's actions.  I rest my case.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:39:59 PM by mmswm »
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Amoreade

« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:47 PM »
I managed to make chocolate chip hockey pucks for over a decade. Turns out that creaming the butter and sugar together is not an unnecessary step.

TootsNYC

« Reply #350 on: December 16, 2014, 11:43:07 PM »
Mini-Disaster.  DS has never attempted to turn a cake out of a pan.  It didn't go well.  I had the foresight to have him do it over a large sheet cake pan, so any mess would be at least partially contained.  This was good planning on my part, as when he turned the pan over, his bottom and slipped and he dropped the cake pan and the cooling rack.  We wound up with a bunch of crumbled cake bits.  Not willing to admit defeat, he made some instant chocolate pudding and served the cake bits with the pudding.  I'd say the whole thing was a success.  We got a tasty dessert out of it, even if we had to go to Plan C to get it. :)

This is a good time for him to learn about the various ways to be sure the cake comes out of the pan well.
  1)  lining the bottom of a cake pan with parchment or foil (grease pan, then add a square of parchment paper or aluminum foil, then grease that; then dust with flour
   2) alternate method: grease pan well and flour (or dust w/ cocoa if it's chocolate); when it comes out of the oven, set a time for 10 minutes exactly, and set it on a wire rack to cool (not flat on the counter). At promptly 10 minutes, run a knife around, and invert onto something. There's something about that 10 minutes--it's perfect every time for me. (But you can't wait; you have to be prompt.)

My DD greased but didn't flour the cake pan once when she was making me a b'day cake (pre-celiac days). She asked me how to "glue" a cake back together, and then finally came out of the "no Mom allowed" kitchen to ask for help. She had torn-up cake layers. So we put them in big bowl w/ cut-up strawberries and icing.
   Then, she wanted to decorate something, so we rolled out some fondant, cut it into a circle, and laid it on top; she decorated that.
   To serve, we scooped it out into a bowl with the ice cream--it was heavnly! Much easier to eat than a wedge of cake and a ball of ice cream.
   We called it Cake in a Bowl.

oogyda

« Reply #351 on: December 17, 2014, 06:35:33 AM »
Last summer when the whole family was here, YDD looked at my zucchini and wanted to share her MIL's recipe for a chocolate/zucchini cake.  Unfortunately, she forgot to let it cool for the required 10 minutes, and it was a mountain of goo.  ODD warmed some chocolate icing and drizzled it over the cake.  That didn't make it look any better, but the cake was delicious despite the way it looked.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Chipmunky

« Reply #352 on: December 17, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
Apparently the karma for reviving the thread/sharing some of my mother's kitchen disasters meant I got to have one last night/this morning.

I decided to try to make fudge for the first time. I used the toll house semi sweet recipe, but I didn't have any mini marshmallows, I had marshmallow crème. I looked up a conversion chart, but apparently that was for standard marshmallows, not minis. I used too much marshmallow crème.

While the "fudge" is still tasty, it's in that not quite a solid, not a liquid gooey stage (after being in the fridge overnight) and sticking to everything. I had three options (while my husband poked at it through the cling wrap): 1) toss it, 2) save it as an ice cream topping, or 3) find some way to take it to work and sneak it into the holiday party today. I went with option 3. It's in a graham cracker pie crust from the store (smells like smores), and in my fridge, waiting to go downstairs.  With any luck, someone will find it delicious, despite being a walking diabetic attack/stroke in a pie tin.

TootsNYC

« Reply #353 on: December 17, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »
You totally forgot option 4: Eat it with a spoon while you're watching movies.

Chipmunky

« Reply #354 on: December 17, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
You totally forgot option 4: Eat it with a spoon while you're watching movies.

I did consider it....but my husband had one taste of it with a spoon and said "this is NOT staying in the house, I will gorge out on it."   :'(  Plus, I've mentioned a person in my office known as The Mooch. She's in my latest PD post. I'm tempted if she asks what it is, to tell her it's a recipe called Minnie's Special Chocolate Pie, and see if she gets the reference from The Help. ;D (not ehell approved, to be sure, but it'd be worth it to see her face).

I also made chocolate chip cookies last night that turned out fine, and will make gingerbread tonight, plus new fudge attempt. I can only have so much of that stuff in the house before my blood vessels (and my husband's head) explode.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:51:18 AM by Chipmunky »

gingerzing

« Reply #355 on: December 17, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
Amusing one from this Thanksgiving.

We did a major multicourse menu (Never again) for our gathering. 
One of the courses had cheesy grits that were quite tasty. The leftover grits were put into a loaf pan that had been lined with plastic wrap so that we could do "Fried cornmeal mush" the next day. 

<Small note here.  I was sorely disappointed to figure out that grits and my grandma's cornmeal mush were pretty much the same thing.  Then to find out polenta was basically grits that traveled overseas.... ::) >

The trick is to have the cooked grits in the pan overnight in the loaf pan to be formed enough to slice then you can fry them like French toast. 
Apparently when I made the grits and something went a little sideways and they didn't quite firm up all the way.  Then with the heat of the griddle made them lose even more of their shape.  At which time my mother yelled into the living room, "It's like trying to cook amoebas!"

They turned out pretty good, but it was way amusing.
"It's like trying to cook amoebas!" was our battle cry most of that night.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #356 on: December 17, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
I've found another good way to get cakes out of the tin - I have a silicon cake pan that is about the perfect size for nearly whatever I'm baking.  Spray with olive oil and dust with flour (or coconut, or cocoa).  Leave to cool for the recommended time.  The soft sides peel away from the cake really easily, and the grooved base seems to not stick at all.

I hope the resurrection of this thread doesn't jinx me.  I've got to bake 2 fruit cakes tonight, and I've veered away from my normal 'sugar and fat free' recipe by using wine instead of fruit juice (didn't have any, running on a tight schedule right now).   It might be interesting - the silicon pan is too big for the size of the two cakes so I'm going to need to use small regular tins.  Fingers crossed!

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #357 on: December 17, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »
This is a public service announcement.

Those blue reusable bags from Wal-Mart do not make for good pot holders.

That is all for now.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #358 on: December 17, 2014, 05:24:22 PM »
We have a voracious kitty.  I have dubbed her "The Stomach" because this cat lives to eat.  Walk away for ten seconds and she will be on food.  She will eat *through* plastic to eat bread.  Freaking bread.

One night I was preparing dinner, and I didn't realize I had accidentally gotten something on the oven mitt I was using.  In the time it took to set the mitt down, take the food from the prep area to the dining area, plate it, and come back to the prep area to put the oven mitt where it goes, Stomach had eaten a hole in the oven mitt.  As in, you can see into the interior through it.

On the upside, I now have a left handed oven mitt.  They work wonders if the hole it on the *topside*.  That has not stopped me from wearing it on the right hand when distracted...

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #359 on: December 17, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
We have a voracious kitty.  I have dubbed her "The Stomach" because this cat lives to eat.  Walk away for ten seconds and she will be on food.  She will eat *through* plastic to eat bread.  Freaking bread.
Was she a rescued stray?  We adopted a bag-of-bones cat that DD2 found in a supermarket parking lot, and he would also gnaw through plastic bags to get to the food inside, even if it wasn't something cats normally eat.  I can't count how many potatoes or bananas had fang marks.  I figure that during his stray time, he ate anything that held still long enough.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~