A couple of years ago, I had a friend coming for the weekend, and I was cooking her a nice dinner, with Chocolate Chess Pie for dessert. Note, this was a recipe I had made several times, and it was quick, easy, and foolproof.
Apparently I'm a bigger fool than that.
I had everything set up on the counter and had my hand blender ready to go, when I burned the butter in the microwave. Durn. Oh well, I have more butter, but it's frozen, so I got out my nice big cleaver to hack off a chunk of frozen butter and melt it. Unfortunately, it was a VERY small counter, and when the cleaver cut off the butter, it also caught the cord to the hand blender, and with a very big smokey SPARK, cut the cord.
When my friend arrived, I fed her the meal, but said, 'There's no Chocolate Chess Pie tonight. It just wasn't in the cards.' (I was afraid to go on cooking after that. When mistakes start to happen, it's time to quit, for me).