News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 11:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters  (Read 147951 times)

Thipu1

Re: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »
That's funny!  But the flavour isn't so off.  My chili recipe calls for whole cloves.

Hmmm. We'll have to try that.  Mr. Thipu's patented chili includes a small block of unsweetened chocolate to even out the flavors.  Cloves could add a nice touch.  Thank you, Outdoor Girl. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »
That's funny!  But the flavour isn't so off.  My chili recipe calls for whole cloves.

Hmmm. We'll have to try that.  Mr. Thipu's patented chili includes a small block of unsweetened chocolate to even out the flavors.  Cloves could add a nice touch.  Thank you, Outdoor Girl.

The only spice in my sauce recipe is allspice. Its ground beef, dried mushrooms, red wine, allspice, and canned tomato sauce and water, and you cook it down until thick. It has a unique flavor, but its good! Came from a famous Italian restaurant in San Francisco, not sure which one, but Tony Bennett was supposedly a regular.

blueyzca01

« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »
Fior d’Italia on Mason Street?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:32:03 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »
Fior d’Italia on Mason Street?

YES! How did you know that? once I saw it, I recognized the name. My mom was living there in the late 50's/early 60's, and if I remember, someone she knew was married or related to, one of the chef's, adn that's how she got the recipe.

o_gal

« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »
When she was told the recipe, Mom wrote it down.  The recipe called for 'three cloves of garlic'.  Mom heard the 'three cloves' but she didn't hear the 'garlic'.  As a result, our home-made spaghetti sauce always included whole cloves but no garlic.

We have a family recipe for what we call "Unga". We have no idea whether the name is correct, or got mangled through the years. Most of my paternal grandmother's family was from areas in Hungary and Romania and we've been told that it's most likely Hungarian in origin. The original recipe is to cook together tomatoes, onions, salt, pepper, ground beef, and whole cloves (in a tea ball or cheesecloth so you can easily remove them.) It makes a very thin sauce that we serve over pasta.

Mom's version added green peppers. I took that and added garlic, to bring Thipu's story full circle. And now I think I'm going to make Unga for dinner sometime this weekend  :)

robobecky

« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
This was more annoying than a disaster, but anyway.  I tried to make pizza today for lunch.  Normally I'm a pretty good cook and baker, but not today.  I used the flour that was in the canister and that I thought was whole wheat all purpose flour.  Pretty sure I used whole wheat pastry flour instead.  The result was....not good.  I really need to start labeling canisters.  All purpose flour and pastry flour look really similar!  So delivery for lunch it is.

Another disaster was when I tried to make chili.  It was a recipe I used before and it was great.  Not this time.  I forgot to soak the black beans ahead of time and gave them a very brief soak and cook which didn't work, then the zucchini I had had rotted, so I had to throw it out, and then I burned the chili.  I ended up throwing the whole mess out in the end as it was just gross.  I don't think I've ever messed up a recipe that spectacularly before.  Luckily its not a very labor intensive recipe so its not as if I threw out hours of hard work, it was mostly just upsetting that I wasted all that food.

Thipu1

« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
Bermuda Sgrikes Back.

On our first visit to Bermuda we fell in love with sherry pepper.  This is a dry sherry infused with hot peppers.  In Bermuda, it's as common on restaurant tables as salt or black pepper. A squirt is delicious in soups, in stews or on pasta.

We brought home several bottles but, eventually, we used them up and couldn't find any locally.   

We'd made infused vinegars for additions to Holiday gifts and thought sherry pepper would be a novel change of pace.  After all, how hard could it be?

After the mixture was packaged up in decorative bottles suitable for gift-giving, a chain reaction much like what happened to my Grandfather's beer took place.  I came home from work to find the kitchen coated in sherry, peppers and shattered glass. 

Since then, we have found it prudent to make a visit to Bermuda every year or two and stock up. 

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
A few weeks ago, I made a pork roast with mashed plantains that was wonderful. I have since tried to recreate it, and each time it has turned out horribly. The plantains are dry and tough and never soft enough for a good mashing. I have tried in the oven and the crock pot, and I just cannot make it the way it turned out the first time.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Nikko-chan

« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Bermuda Sgrikes Back.

On our first visit to Bermuda we fell in love with sherry pepper.  This is a dry sherry infused with hot peppers.  In Bermuda, it's as common on restaurant tables as salt or black pepper. A squirt is delicious in soups, in stews or on pasta.

We brought home several bottles but, eventually, we used them up and couldn't find any locally.   

We'd made infused vinegars for additions to Holiday gifts and thought sherry pepper would be a novel change of pace.  After all, how hard could it be?

After the mixture was packaged up in decorative bottles suitable for gift-giving, a chain reaction much like what happened to my Grandfather's beer took place.  I came home from work to find the kitchen coated in sherry, peppers and shattered glass. 

Since then, we have found it prudent to make a visit to Bermuda every year or two and stock up.

How... how did that happen?

Thipu1

« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
We don't quite know but we think the problem was the sherry.  It's possible that the peppers we used weren't clean enough and set off some sort of reaction with residual. 

Whatever the problem was, we don't mind making a quick hop to Bermuda every few years.

DollyPond

« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
A few weeks ago, I made a pork roast with mashed plantains that was wonderful. I have since tried to recreate it, and each time it has turned out horribly. The plantains are dry and tough and never soft enough for a good mashing. I have tried in the oven and the crock pot, and I just cannot make it the way it turned out the first time.

For plantains to be nice soft and sweet the skins need to go completely black. They may look like they're rotted but they're not.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2013, 05:08:59 PM »
^thank you. That is very helpful.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #237 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
Made quiche last night and the milk I put in it instead of cream overflowed and made the quiche stick to the pan. It's happened before, and DH asked me why I used milk when it papered before and I told him I forgot until it happened again!

I even made the edge taller when I blind baked it to get a better edge, b the pastry shrank back. Maybe it's because I rolled it twice as I stuffed it up the first time

Elisabunny

« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:30 PM »
Made quiche last night and the milk I put in it instead of cream overflowed and made the quiche stick to the pan. It's happened before, and DH asked me why I used milk when it papered before and I told him I forgot until it happened again!

I even made the edge taller when I blind baked it to get a better edge, b the pastry shrank back. Maybe it's because I rolled it twice as I stuffed it up the first time

Do you use a recipe for any part of the quiche?  If so, write a note to yourself.  My cookbooks are marked up all over the place to remind me of stupid things to do or not to do.

I just discovered a minor disaster.  I made some jelly from our grapes (we actually got a grape harvest! squee! ;D).  I discovered upon opening the first jar that it did not gel very well.  Plus, it has weird sugar crystal formations throughout that remind me of the Spider Queen's ship in the the Runaway Bride episode of Doctor Who. :o  It tastes good, though.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
Yesterday was an adventure in the kitchen...

It started off like the normal Sunday morning, however I noticed what sounded like a bird stuck in the flue of my wood heater.  I went over, opened it up (expecting to remove the top plate to rescue the bird) but the bird was already down, fiesty as heck and ready to blow the joint!  Probably not helped by Salem the killer kitty watching eagerly.

So the silly bird flew out of the loungeroom into the kitchen, where it proceded to bash itself against the windows trying to escape, chased by the killer kitty and me with a blanket to catch it in.  Anyway, the bird ended up down behind the bins, which live next to another wood heater, an old potbelly stove, which sits on a brick base and which has a brick backing behind it, which sits out about an inch from the wall, held up by metal brackets.

I moved the bins out, ably assisted by KK and by now, Suzi the wonder-mutt.  The bird freaked out (no idea why!   ;D ) and squeezed into the gap behind the brickwork. 

I spend the next several hours of a very hot day trying to get the poor old bird out.  Eventually I had two dogs there, sniffing, yipping and trying frantically to dig through the bricks and floorboards (you weren't helping, girls!), Housemate poking from one side of the gap with a wire, me with a torch trying to see the mad bird.  Eventually I could see it, poor little thing, and used the wire hook (it was a straightened out coat hanger) to hook in behind the bird and gently nudge it forward.

Well, the bird broke free and went flying for the window again, and Guest neatly captured it in a teatowel and then released it back into the wild.

The dogs saw all this go down, watched the bird fly away, and then went back to sniff, growl and yip some more at the brickwork for another couple of hours.

Never a dull moment at Chez Backwater!

(The real kitchen disaster happened later when cooking dinner.  The darned pork roast just would not cook.  Ended up doing Plan C, a bacon, summer vegetable and cream cheese pasta dish which was delicious!  The pork finished around 8:30pm, so guess what's for dinner tonight?)

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)