Author Topic: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters  (Read 38999 times)

JadeAngel

Re: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2013, 11:42:47 PM »
AustenFan's story reminded me of a science class in middle school where we made peanut brittle (not sure if there was any science involved but it was delicious!)

We were heating pans of boiling sugar over the bunsen burners to make the brittle and my friend C decided to check if the sugar was boiling by sticking her finger into the liquid in the pan (It was)

She was neither the first, nor the last student to make a visit to the sickbay that day...  :o

Shalamar

« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2013, 11:15:43 AM »
While making dinner the other night, I took the frying pan I'd been using for hashbrowns, transferred its contents to a serving bowl, and set the hot pan down on a fabric pot rest for a moment.  I then put the pan back on the burner to cook some mushrooms without noticing that the pot rest was stuck to the bottom of the pan until, that is, I saw smoke coming off the burner.  I grabbed the pan and unthinkingly flipped it upside down to remove the pot rest, forgetting that Id poured some oil in the pan, which then ended up on the floor.  As is so often the case, despite my best efforts to clean up the floor, it was still slippery.  I found that out the hard way when I was walking towards the oven, slipped, and fell heavily on my butt. 

At least dinner was good after all that.

Amara

mmswm

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
Hoo boy: http://consumerist.com/2013/02/22/warning-do-not-store-your-glock-and-ammo-in-the-oven/

I have no idea what to say.

For starters:  "DUH!"

EvilTraska:  "Hey, dude, you got two tens for a five?"  Repeat until rich.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

MrTango

« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »
Hoo boy: http://consumerist.com/2013/02/22/warning-do-not-store-your-glock-and-ammo-in-the-oven/

How about "Why would you heat up the OVEN to make waffles?" ???

Depending on how many people I was serving, I might use the oven to keep them warm.

ETA: "them" being the waffles, not the people...   :-[

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:49 PM »

Leggo my Eggo?

They may have been Pre-made heat-n-serve waffles, and either there wasn't a toaster/countertop oven available, or they were making a whole bunch. My guess anyway.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »

To keep the done waffles warm while you're cooking more?
Maybe.  Never did it that way, since the wafflehounds fuss if I don't put them straight onto a plate for immediate consumption.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Rohanna

« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »
We use the oven for "warming" when we're making up a big batch of pancakes for holidays- that way I/my husband can sit and eat with the family instead of being a short-order cook :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And well change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

AustenFan

« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »

Leggo my Eggo?

They may have been Pre-made heat-n-serve waffles, and either there wasn't a toaster/countertop oven available, or they were making a whole bunch. My guess anyway.

I amow craving the pre-made Belgium waffles from Costco, have none in the house and now am going to be making a trip to Costco later. Waffles and turkey bacon for dinner in the Austen house tonight!! Thanks, jedikati.  ;D

Carotte

« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:22 AM »
I had a disaster in the making, home-made tomato sauce that I'm supposed to baby-sit (it's my SO's sauce) was starting to scorch on the bottom.
Since he doesn't need to know I almost ruined this batch* I put it away, am cleaning the saucepan from all evidence and will put it back in the clean 'original' saucepan later.

*Since I ruined the previous one, even if I think we share the blame on this one he still think it's my fault.

Amara

« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »
Pulling this up because I need some help. Last night I made scallops (Alton Brown's recipe), and then in the same pan I  cooked a chicken breast in the same butter/olive oil combination. They were delicious but unfortunately I must have had the heat on a bit too high because I ended up with blackened stuff in the bottom of the pan.

The pan, alas, is a Le Crueset skillet. I went online to see what others had done and among the suggestions was one to use dishwasher detergent and hot water and let it soak. I did, but I had the brilliant ( ::)) idea of putting it on the stove on a low setting to keep the water hot. Well, the water ended up boiling away and I was left with a layer of white. I soaked it in more water, then rinsed it out under hot running water. It all came away, both the black and the white bits, but now I see that my lovely black interior has a big section of gray. Dark gray, but still. What can I do? Does the cleaner that Le Crueset sells help with this? Do you have any other ideas?

And yes, I plan to use a lower heat next time.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
The interior is cast iron, correct? You need to season it just like any cast iron pan. Take vegetable oil or shortening, use a wad of paper towels to rub it on, then put it in the oven on 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. Repeat as necessary until you have a glossy black surface.