General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Emailing at odd hours

(1/10) > >>

Ceallach:
The nice thing about email is that it doesn't interrupt - a person can get to it and respond when appropriate.   However, I happen to know that a couple of my colleagues (fellow managers) have their phones set so that emails pop up on the screen with an noise alert when they are received, basically like receiving an SMS/Txt message.     Knowing this, is it rude of me to send them emails late at night or on the weekends, or when they're on holiday?    I feel bad "disturbing" them, when I just want to get something off my plate while I remember.  My intention is for them to address it during working hours, I don't need an immediate response.

Personally, I have this feature turned off on my phone - I'm somebody who will check my phone immediately if it rings/beeps and with the high volume of email I get receive (100 per day or so) it would drive me insane to be grabbing the phone that often, it honestly wouldn't be healthy for me.   I admit I do check my emails waaaay more often than I should - I just can't handle seeing that tiny number on the bottom of the screen telling me there is something new to look at!  But because it doesn't alert me, I am only looking when I actually am already using my phone, it's not distracting me at other times.   Plus if I really need a break on the weekend I will turn off the auto download altogether.

So my question is, do I bear any responsibility for emailing at appropriate times, or is it up to them to ensure they change their phone settings or turn it off if they don't want to be interrupted?   

kckgirl:

--- Quote from: Ceallach on January 20, 2013, 09:07:36 PM ---So my question is, do I bear any responsibility for emailing at appropriate times, or is it up to them to ensure they change their phone settings or turn it off if they don't want to be interrupted?
--- End quote ---

They can take responsibility for their own email, as you do yours. Don't worry about when you send something.

Luci45:
Their problem.

The thing I like about email is just as you said. One sends and reads on one's own time. Alerts can be turned off.

Ceallach:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on January 20, 2013, 09:35:18 PM ---Their problem.

The thing I like about email is just as you said. One sends and reads on one's own time. Alerts can be turned off.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I guess it just irritates me a little bit because I feel guilty for disturbing them when I didn't actually want them to read it - I wish my outlook had a "time delay" option, that way I could queue up a pile of emails to send at a specific date/time!    ;D       

betty:
I agree that you are fine to send emails any time you want.

However, by sending emails on what are presumably NOT your official work hours, you are sending the message that you are available at all times. Sounds good until you actually want to take time off during your time off. You might want to start saving up emails in your "drafts" folder and sending them during regular office hours.

As for sending emails to people who are on vacation: if it's important and you can remember, it might be best to wait until they are back at work. Often people return to email overload, and 'old' emails might not get prompt attention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version