Author Topic: Flashing your lights - rude, or communication?  (Read 9404 times)

War_Doc

Re: Flashing your lights - rude, or communication?
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
Flora Louise:  I'm not quite sure what really set you off.  Only comment made was if someone is crowding your tail, even if you are doing the speed limit, pull over and let them pass.  Let the law handle the problem if they are speeding.

You seem to have gotten this chip on your shoulder as if everyone is "putting you in your place" and their tone is basically verbally slapping you down.  You took offense at a post where none was directed at you in the first place.

If you think this had occurred, the proper course of action would have been to either PM the individual you may be having issues with or report said post to a mod.  Acting out like this accomplishes nothing and just gets everyone else riled up on the process.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

Betelnut

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
I would interpret someone flashing his/her lights as me as aggressive.  I'm not in the habit of driving slowly in the left lane of a freeway but, at the same time, no one has the right to drive as fast as he or she wants.

I've also noticed that a lot of people seem to think that "slower traffic to the right" applies in all driving situations. It doesn't--just freeways.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

AngelBarchild

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:41 AM »
It took me a real long time to figure out why a person would need to move to the right lane if someone needed to pass them. Everyone in Kansas (on state highways) just passes in whatever lane they can. A little research shows that it's legal to pass on the right if there are two or more lanes of pavement going one direction. http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_8/Article_15/8-1517.html  I would never think someone wanted me to get over if they came up and flashed their lights. Here that means you forgot to turn on your lights, or a person might use it to signal that it is safe for a car to merge right after they have crossed the center line to pass. I would be very confused by someone doing this.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
A quick flash to let someone know you need to get by is acceptable where I'm from.

I'd have been on the phone to 911 if somebody did to me what that guy did to you.  That's called menacing driving, and it is illegal.

Yep. I'd have called 911.  Actually, I have done so before.  As soon as they saw me on the phone, they sped away.  Still, I was able to get their license plate number.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
Anyone reading the original post having flashbacks to Stephen Spielberg's "Duel", with Dennis Hopper?  :o
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

oogyda

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
I would interpret someone flashing his/her lights as me as aggressive.  I'm not in the habit of driving slowly in the left lane of a freeway but, at the same time, no one has the right to drive as fast as he or she wants.

I've also noticed that a lot of people seem to think that "slower traffic to the right" applies in all driving situations. It doesn't--just freeways.

That really depends on your definition of "freeway".  Most commonly, the word applies to interstates.  It can, by definition, also apply to any divided, multi-lane highway with access and exit ramps.

Where I am, slower traffic to the right applies on all multi-lane roads (to quote the ordinance: "on roads with more than one lane designated for travel in the same direction").  Divided or not.   With or without traffic signals along the way, etc. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Betelnut

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »

That really depends on your definition of "freeway".  Most commonly, the word applies to interstates.  It can, by definition, also apply to any divided, multi-lane highway with access and exit ramps.

Where I am, slower traffic to the right applies on all multi-lane roads (to quote the ordinance: "on roads with more than one lane designated for travel in the same direction").  Divided or not.   With or without traffic signals along the way, etc.

My definition of freeway (highway) is limited access, no lights, get on and go, no businesses on the side of the road, only access by entrance ramp and only exit by exit ramp.   That's what I meant in my post.

Slower traffic to the right makes no sense if there are lights, left-turn lanes, etc.  If I need to turn left, I get in the left lane before I need to get into the turn land.  Also, slower traffic to the right makes no sense in city driving for the same reasons and where the speed limit is pretty dang slow anyway. 
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

oogyda

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »

My definition of freeway (highway) is limited access, no lights, get on and go, no businesses on the side of the road, only access by entrance ramp and only exit by exit ramp.   That's what I meant in my post.

Slower traffic to the right makes no sense if there are lights, left-turn lanes, etc.  If I need to turn left, I get in the left lane before I need to get into the turn land.  Also, slower traffic to the right makes no sense in city driving for the same reasons and where the speed limit is pretty dang slow anyway.

I completely agree with your last paragraph....I'm just quoting the ordinance here.  However, I think it should also apply in other situations.  We have a lot of highways around here where there are 15-20 miles between lights and/or shopping areas or businesses.  These highways very often have intersecting roads that must stop before entering or crossing....in other words, no ramps.  Slower traffic should be required to stay to the right in those situations also. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.