Author Topic: Am I rude to mutter?  (Read 3891 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Am I rude to mutter?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »
If something is said out loud, it is meant to be heard. That's why we have the option of saying it internally.

Actually, recently I was given a different definition of extrovert vs introvert--it really resonated for me.

Extroverts speak in order to think.
Introverts think in order to speak.

This is the first definition of "extrovert" that really resonated for me. I have trouble thinking when I can't talk.

http://www.fastcompany.com/919234/do-you-talk-think-or-think-talk
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:42:12 PM by TootsNYC »

ettiquit

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »
If something is said out loud, it is meant to be heard. That's why we have the option of saying it internally.

Actually, recently I was given a different definition of extrovert vs introvert--it really resonated for me.

This is the first definition of "extrovert" that really resonated for me. I have trouble thinking when I can't talk.

Interesting!

I know that my roommate talks to herself when she's working on her computer because she's trying to "think" through a problem.

I do kind of object to the idea that one should only talk if they want to be heard by others. 

Sometimes I only want to talk to myself, because I don't give myself any lip.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »

Interesting!

I know that my roommate talks to herself when she's working on her computer because she's trying to "think" through a problem.

I do kind of object to the idea that one should only talk if they want to be heard by others. 

Sometimes I only want to talk to myself, because I don't give myself any lip.

Haha, I do give myself lip, but then I argue myself down and win!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »
I took a class with a guy who muttered to himself...it was A) distracting and B) I felt as if I shoudl respond to him (not sure if he was really soliciting responses) but it took energy to NOT respond.

I would suggest that the OP tell her normal roommates that "I tend to mutter to myself whilst on the computer. Please just ignore me. "