General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Thank you note error?

(1/5) > >>

MamaMootz:
Hi, all,

I had an interview today that was set up by an employment agency. I thought it went quite well, and as per my usual custom, I sent a thank you note to the people who interviewed me today.

I received a reply back stating that the agency would follow up with me but she thanked me for the note.

Did I just make a mis-step? Should all of the communication have come to the company from the agency and not me?

I always thought it was a good idea to send a thank you note - it's courteous and it also shows that I'm interested in the position. Is there a different etiquette involved with jobs that are sourced through an employment agency?

I hope not - I really, really, want this job.

artk2002:
You did nothing wrong. I'm really not sure what the confusion is? Was it her remark that the agency would do the follow-up? If that's it, the interviewer was just making sure that the situation was clear, and that you wouldn't be receiving your response from the company.

oceanus:
I agree with artk2002.

I don't think you did anything wrong.  The company is just confirming that the agency will get back with you as far as a second interview, an offer, rejection, etc.  Sometimes employers interview a lot of people and many applicants call and email the employer again and again wanting to know the status, when a decision will be made, etc. etc.  They don't like that.

By the way, I hope you hear something positive!   :) 

MamaMootz:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on January 21, 2013, 06:12:08 PM ---You did nothing wrong. I'm really not sure what the confusion is? Was it her remark that the agency would do the follow-up? If that's it, the interviewer was just making sure that the situation was clear, and that you wouldn't be receiving your response from the company.

--- End quote ---

I was worried that I overstepped my boundaries by contacting the company directly with my thank you and was wondering if that should have been filtered through the agency first.

I believe I'm so invested in the result that I'm over-thinking everything. I hope I didn't leave them with the impression that I would hound them - that's what is worrying me. I know better than to do that.

But rational minds prevail, I need to stop second-guessing myself, and just let it alone.

Mental Magpie:
I was really confused by your title, as snafu means "Situation Normal: All Fouled* Up".  You can imagine my confusion  :D

That being said, you did nothing wrong.  I don't think it matters to whom you sent the thank you note.  I have a feeling the author of the reply was just trying to find something else to include in the reply as to not make it seem too short and impersonal.

*or the naughty word

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version