Author Topic: Thank you note error?  (Read 3292 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Thank you note error?
« on: January 21, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
Hi, all,

I had an interview today that was set up by an employment agency. I thought it went quite well, and as per my usual custom, I sent a thank you note to the people who interviewed me today.

I received a reply back stating that the agency would follow up with me but she thanked me for the note.

Did I just make a mis-step? Should all of the communication have come to the company from the agency and not me?

I always thought it was a good idea to send a thank you note - it's courteous and it also shows that I'm interested in the position. Is there a different etiquette involved with jobs that are sourced through an employment agency?

I hope not - I really, really, want this job.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:25:22 AM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Thank you note snafu?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »
You did nothing wrong. I'm really not sure what the confusion is? Was it her remark that the agency would do the follow-up? If that's it, the interviewer was just making sure that the situation was clear, and that you wouldn't be receiving your response from the company.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
I agree with artk2002.

I don't think you did anything wrong.  The company is just confirming that the agency will get back with you as far as a second interview, an offer, rejection, etc.  Sometimes employers interview a lot of people and many applicants call and email the employer again and again wanting to know the status, when a decision will be made, etc. etc.  They don't like that.

By the way, I hope you hear something positive!   :) 

MamaMootz

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
You did nothing wrong. I'm really not sure what the confusion is? Was it her remark that the agency would do the follow-up? If that's it, the interviewer was just making sure that the situation was clear, and that you wouldn't be receiving your response from the company.

I was worried that I overstepped my boundaries by contacting the company directly with my thank you and was wondering if that should have been filtered through the agency first.

I believe I'm so invested in the result that I'm over-thinking everything. I hope I didn't leave them with the impression that I would hound them - that's what is worrying me. I know better than to do that.

But rational minds prevail, I need to stop second-guessing myself, and just let it alone.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
I was really confused by your title, as snafu means "Situation Normal: All Fouled* Up".  You can imagine my confusion  :D

That being said, you did nothing wrong.  I don't think it matters to whom you sent the thank you note.  I have a feeling the author of the reply was just trying to find something else to include in the reply as to not make it seem too short and impersonal.

*or the naughty word
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snappylt

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:52:19 AM »
My opinion is that a brief sincere thank you note is almost always a good idea when job hunting.  I realize that there are quite a few people who do not send thank you letters these days, but I still think it is the polite thing to do.  It recognizes that the interviewer took the time to speak with you and it helps demonstrate your continued interest in the position.

MamaMootz

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:26:04 AM »
I was really confused by your title, as snafu means "Situation Normal: All Fouled* Up".  You can imagine my confusion  :D

Fixed it. Thanks :-)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:06 AM »

Aww, I don't think you needed to. Snafu has kind of drifted to the point that lots and lots of people use it for minor mishaps. Don't worry about it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:30:42 AM »

Aww, I don't think you needed to. Snafu has kind of drifted to the point that lots and lots of people use it for minor mishaps. Don't worry about it.

I didn't know that  :-[  I only know it to mean what I said above.  Well then, that changes things for me :)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

DaDancingPsych

Re: Thank you note error?
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »
I agree, no mistake. The interviewer is just making it clear to not bug him/her and ask the agency.

Two unsolicited cents: you may want to thank he recruiter or individual who set up the interview for you (if you haven't already). They often miss out on the formality and in reality, that is your number one advocate at this point. I am not sure that etiquette calls for it, but it never hurts to thank that person!

yokozbornak

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:40 AM »
As someone who worked in temp staffing for several years, I want to differ a bit.  In a normal interviewing situation, I wholeheartedly recommend that people send a thank-you note, but when there is a third party involved in blurs the line a bit.  Is this a temp-to-perm situation or is it a direct placement with the company?  I do think it makes a difference especially if the agency is going to be paying your salary for a while.

Going by the response of the person who received the note, I do think you overstepped a bit by sending a card directly to the company.  I would contact the person at the recruiter at the agency and explain what happened.  I don't think it's a major deal, but like I said, sometimes the lines are blurry in this situation.  Some employers were very much against having too much contact with temporary employees because of potential legal issues.

MamaMootz

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »
Well, I've tried to contact the recruiter and she's not contacting me back - which is NOT a good sign. I think I need to put this job in my "never mind" file and keep looking. The recruiter was all gung ho with me before I went on the interview, and now she won't return calls/e-mails. So obviously I was not a good fit for this position, which is fine - but at least call me back and tell me that.

onyonryngs

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
When using a recruiter, let them read over the thank you note before sending.  You want to keep the recruiter in the loop and they may know additional info about the interviewer that will help make your note stand out - i.e. additional reasons why you are the perfect fit, etc.  Because the main point of the TY is to reiterate your interest in the job.

Yesterday was a holiday so it's quite possible that she was not available until today, or had no info from the company to give to you because they were closed.  I wouldn't write her off just yet.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
Well, I've tried to contact the recruiter and she's not contacting me back - which is NOT a good sign. I think I need to put this job in my "never mind" file and keep looking. The recruiter was all gung ho with me before I went on the interview, and now she won't return calls/e-mails. So obviously I was not a good fit for this position, which is fine - but at least call me back and tell me that.

Whoa.

You just had the interview yesterday, and it's been what - a few hours? - since you called recruiter?  You called AND emailed?  Goodness, take a deep breath and give the person a chance to get back to you.

Meanwhile, it's always a good idea to keep looking (even after a great interview) until you get a firm offer.

But as far as the recruiter not calling you back, and you interpreting that as a bad sign, slow down.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:13:45 AM by oceanus »

MamaMootz

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »

Whoa.

You just had the interview yesterday, and it's been what - a few hours? - since you called recruiter?  You called AND emailed?  Goodness, take a deep breath and give the person a chance to get back to you.

Meanwhile, it's always a good idea to keep looking (even after a great interview) until you get a firm offer.

But as far as the recruiter not calling you back, and you interpreting that as a bad sign, slow down.

I know it seems fast, but the reason I am concerned is that up until the interview, this person was constantly calling me and always called me right back. She even asked me 3 times to call her as soon as the interview was completed yesterday, which I did. And that was at 2:30PM yesterday - so the radio silence after the constant calling is a bit disconcerting to me.

It's possible she hasn't heard back yet from the company, so I should stop being so negative and give her and me a break. And I'm still looking, so no worries there.