General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Phone problems at work

<< < (3/3)

MissRose:
It depends on your work place.  If your work involves a lot of outbound calling as part of your job duties, then call back and apologize for what happened.  If not, ask if it is okay to place the call back to the customer.

Twik:

--- Quote from: MissRose on February 05, 2013, 09:31:16 AM ---It depends on your work place.  If your work involves a lot of outbound calling as part of your job duties, then call back and apologize for what happened.  If not, ask if it is okay to place the call back to the customer.

--- End quote ---

Trouble is, I have no idea who it was, or how to reach them.

It sort of went like this,

Customer: Hi, I'd like to order some widgets.

Me: Well, I'm not in the order department, but I'll see what I can (click)

The big problem was that I think he heard a negative (I'm not the right person to talk to), and got cut off as I was saying how I'd solve his problem. So, maybe he just heard "No, I won't do this," not "I'll put you in touch with the right person, or else get you the information myself.

BeagleMommy:

--- Quote from: Twik on February 05, 2013, 12:45:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: MissRose on February 05, 2013, 09:31:16 AM ---It depends on your work place.  If your work involves a lot of outbound calling as part of your job duties, then call back and apologize for what happened.  If not, ask if it is okay to place the call back to the customer.

--- End quote ---

Trouble is, I have no idea who it was, or how to reach them.

It sort of went like this,

Customer: Hi, I'd like to order some widgets.

Me: Well, I'm not in the order department, but I'll see what I can (click)

The big problem was that I think he heard a negative (I'm not the right person to talk to), and got cut off as I was saying how I'd solve his problem. So, maybe he just heard "No, I won't do this," not "I'll put you in touch with the right person, or else get you the information myself.

--- End quote ---

Yikes, that's awkward.  I still don't think you were rude or did anything wrong.  Accidents happen.

Lynda_34:
However when the customer called back he may have been routed to the correct department.

Virg:
Twik wrote:

"The big problem was that I think he heard a negative (I'm not the right person to talk to), and got cut off as I was saying how I'd solve his problem. So, maybe he just heard "No, I won't do this," not "I'll put you in touch with the right person, or else get you the information myself."

The details of what you were saying don't change the etiquette of it, though.  It's not rude to cut off a call accidentally no matter what you were saying when it happened, so you don't have to sweat being rude.  ;D

Virg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version