My last house had a very pale grey wall colour throughout. It sounds dreadful, but was great in reality. I noticed early on that the grey picked up and reflected the colour of the curtains in each room, so all I needed to do to change the 'colour scheme' was to change the curtains.
The current house, Chez Backwater, I've gone a bit nutz with colour. And I love it. So far, no real mistakes, and all the internal painting is done. Each bedroom is a different scheme, the living parts of the house are tonal in the same colour, and the loungeroom is different again. The hardest part has been painting over the riot of paint that was here before I started.
As an example - my lovely lilac loungeroom started off 'Plastic Bucket Yellow', with a fire-engine red external door frame, a Violent Grape purple window frame, and terracotta orange internal door frame. With an orange pine feature wall behind the wood heater, yellow-orange curtains and bright blue carpet. Barf inducing. It is now a soothing light lilac, white trim, bare floorboards and pale cream curtains. The orange pine doesn't look quite so bad now, and I'm still debating whether to paint it white or not. the same orange pine in the kitchen to dado height is now white and it looks great. But the wood heater sits on a brick base and backboard in front of the pine, and painting the pine will accentuate the bricks so I'm just not sure!
Anyway, back to the household disasters... when I painted the spare bedroom I used painters tape to make a sharp edge between the feature wall and the adjoining walls. Apparently you need to take it off fairly promptly after painting. Otherwise it takes the paint off with it. Who knew?
So I still need to finish up and tidy the join area. Sigh.
Also when I installed the main shower head over the spa tub (there are two heads, a hand held and the main 'rain shower' one) I sort of did it wrong. It was fine for a few days, then the water pressure blew it off while I was showering. The darn thing whacked me in the head, fell into the tub (and took a chunk off the surface) then the water spray hit the opposite wall of the bathroom, soaking everything!
And I grouted the bathroom floor tiles on the hottest day of the year. The grout is now all crumbling away, and three of the tiles have cracked. I am also having major doubts about the tiles I used anyway (they are very slippery when even just bathroom-misty damp) so I'm debating whether it's worthwhile re-grouting or just retiling the darn lot.
I probably should mention that until I bought this house, I've never tiled, plumbed, painted or anything 'handyman', so it has all been quite a learning curve. Disasters'R'Me!