Author Topic: S/O Kitchen Disasters-Household Disasters  (Read 12804 times)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: S/O Kitchen Disasters-Household Disasters
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2013, 01:10:14 AM »
My parents have a super old milkshake/malt maker that is ungrounded. It's the type that has a long rotating metal stick on the main body and a metal cup that hooks onto the main body. You put your ingredients in the cup, stick it on so the metal stick is in the middle of the cup, flip the motor on and move the cup around until your milkshake is done.

At the time, they had a built-in stovetop that had a metal huddee ring around it. I was making a milkshake, one hand on the cup to steady/move it. I moved to rest one hand on the counter and put it on the huddee ring instead. The shock wasn't super strong, but it was enough to blank my mind for a few seconds. Then I realized, oh! I'd better move my hand. It was actually kind of pleasant, but I wouldn't do it again.

greencat

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
Weirdly enough, I feel virtually nothing when I get shocked by household voltage.  I do, however, blow the breaker when it happens. 

I am currently trying to figure out how to solve my latest household disaster - anyone know how to get RIT dye out of a bathtub?  Mine is not supposed to be green.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »
Weirdly enough, I feel virtually nothing when I get shocked by household voltage.  I do, however, blow the breaker when it happens. 

I am currently trying to figure out how to solve my latest household disaster - anyone know how to get RIT dye out of a bathtub?  Mine is not supposed to be green.

Something abrasive with bleach?

mmswm

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:51 AM »

Is your tub fiberglass or porcelain?

greencat

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »

Enameled steel.  I'm not entirely sure if the dye has entered microcracks in the enamel or if it is clinging to otherwise invisible hard water stains.

mmswm

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »

Enameled steel.  I'm not entirely sure if the dye has entered microcracks in the enamel or if it is clinging to otherwise invisible hard water stains.

I'm out of ideas then.  I'll ask my mother, who's the queen of getting anything clean, next time I talk to her.

alkira6

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »

I'm out of ideas then.  I'll ask my mother, who's the queen of getting anything clean, next time I talk to her.

Weirdly enough, CLR. It cleaned an old sink that I used for EVERYTHING, including dying.

rain

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
barkeeper's friend might work - it shouldn't scratch at all
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

JoW

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
I second the CLR.  But use their Bath and Kitchen Cleaning spray.  Its detergent-based cleaning spray with acid to remove minerals.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »

I have soft water and dye has never stained our 60 year old enamel tub , so I'd bet it's your hard water deposits. Try CLR or a magic eraser?

sevenday

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
heck, try all three. With respectable time between Barkeeper's Friend and CLR.  We have very hard water here, and barkeeper's friend is the ONLY thing that keeps our shower stall clean. Otherwise it looks tan when it's meant to be white! 

miritree

« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

Have you tried Magic Eraser?

JoW

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »
The house I'm in now does not have city water.   The water supply is a well in my side yard.  The water contains a little silt, so all of the water goes through a water filter.   The way a filter works you have a permanent housing and a disposable element that gets changed periodically.   There are valves before and after the filter so the element can be changed easily. 

The builder left out those two valves.   So to change the element you had to drain every bit of water from the house.  Turn off the pump. Turn off the water heater.  Open every tap and let the water run until the pressure tank (30 gallons) is empty and all of the taps stop running.   Then, after you replace the element and turn everything back on you have to let the air out of all the pipes, and you don't have any hot water until the water heater recovers.  Changing the water filter should be a 5-minute job.   The lack of those 2 valves made it 1-hour job.

I had the housing replaced several years ago.  The new one has those 2 valves. 

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Just saw this thread. I can think of a couple of these in my family. There was the time I was trying to change my (semi-invalid) mother's light bulb and somehow ended up screwing it in so incorrectly that it could be turned in neither direction for fear it would break. Someone got it out, but I have no idea who or how.

Another time, Dad was cleaning the mirror on our medicine cabinet when he pushed it too hard trying to scrub out a particularly stubborn stain and it popped out.

Instinctively, he tried to catch it.

Not what one would call a good idea. We ended up having to go to the emergency room to fix the cut at the base of his thumb, and then take an hour or so when we finally got home to clean up the shattered glass on the bathroom floor.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Amara

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
Saturday afternoon I put a load of white and off-white clothes into washer only to return to find all of them a not-so-nice dark gray. (Two shirts, a black and a navy, both new and unwashed, had slipped in unnoticed and left their extra dye on everything.) I was devastated. Ruined were two bath mats, a pillowcase, a kitchen towel, and, worse, a white cotton embroidered broomstick skirt and a white button vest that goes with it.

But ... I was able to save it as it turned out. Here's how: Here is what I did after I did the initial wash that blackened the entire load:

(1) Wash in cold water with 1 1/2 cups of bleach.
(2) Wash in cold water with 1 cup of bleach.
(3) Wash in plain cold water.
(4) Wash in plain cold water.
(5) Wash in cold water with laundry detergent.
(6) Wash in plain cold water.
(7) Wash in plain hot water.
(8) Dry in hot dryer.

Everything including the bath mats and skirt, which were dark gray, are white again! They even smell nice. And clean.