A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Fire departments and ambulances

(1/5) > >>

perpetua:
As a spin off from the 'what do firefighters do' thread, but something that I've been wondering about ever since Michael Jackson died and the fire department sent the ambulance: Do you not have a separate ambulance service in America?

Here in the UK ambulances are provided by the Ambulance Service and staffed by paramedics. We have three separate emergency services: Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance (four if you count the Coastguard). When you dial 999, you're asked which service you require. Ambulances do not come from the fire brigade here.

Who provides emergency services where you live?

RingTailedLemur:

--- Quote from: perpetua on January 22, 2013, 03:35:40 PM ---As a spin off from the 'what do firefighters do' thread, but something that I've been wondering about ever since Michael Jackson died and the fire department sent the ambulance: Do you not have a separate ambulance service in America?

Here in the UK ambulances are provided by the Ambulance Service and staffed by paramedics. We have three separate emergency services: Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance (four if you count the Coastguard). When you dial 999, you're asked which service you require. Ambulances do not come from the fire brigade here.

Who provides emergency services where you live?

--- End quote ---

Six.  You forgot mountain rescue and cave rescue.

Where I live, the ambulance station and the fire station are at the same place.  Regional difference?  Or maybe where I am us unusual.

PastryGoddess:
Here if you dial 911 the ambulance is sent out from the fire dept. 

There are private ambulance services, but typically they are for transportation only.  For example if a person needs to get from Point A to Point B and will need medical support, a private ambulance is called for the transportation.  They have local or toll-free numbers

perpetua:

--- Quote from: RingTailedLemur on January 22, 2013, 03:50:36 PM ---
Six.  You forgot mountain rescue and cave rescue.

--- End quote ---

Probably because I'm not a mountainy or cavey type of person :) But yes, good point.

And also the AA   ;D

Just Lori:
To add to the confusion, firefighters are trained in basic lifesaving techniques and are also dispatched for medical emergencies. Look at it this way- if each fire house has two or three firetrucks and one ambulance, and the ambulance is already out on a run, you're better off with a trained firefighter at your house now than an ambulance from a nearby station showing up 10 minutes later.  That's why you might see a firetruck when your neighbor has taken a spill on the ice or whatever.

My brother is a firefigher, and he and his colleagues do an awesome job.  However, he can absolutely boggle our minds with stories of silly calls for help, which is why there's not always an ambulance available for the legitimate calls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version