General Etiquette > Life...in general

How to respond?

(1/5) > >>

shutterbug94:
I am afraid I may have put too much identifying info in this.  Thanks to those who have responded!  I appreciate the feedback.

TurtleDove:
1.  I would talk with your BF and have him address this with his family.

2.  Unless these are people you are likely to see again, I would let it go.  It is hurtful, yes, but making a big deal over insensitive and rude comments is not likely to change the people who made the comments and is likely to give those same people free space in your head.  Not engaging is the way to go, IMHO.

citadelle:
There may be circumstances that you are unaware of. Have they gotten close to your BF's dates in the past, only to have them break up? Are they still very close to the ex? These would be less about you and more about past history with him. I would give it time. If they get to know you and you become more of a fixture, I hope they will warm up.

TurtleDove:

--- Quote from: citadelle on January 22, 2013, 04:11:17 PM ---There may be circumstances that you are unaware of. Have they gotten close to your BF's dates in the past, only to have them break up? Are they still very close to the ex? These would be less about you and more about past history with him. I would give it time. If they get to know you and you become more of a fixture, I hope they will warm up.

--- End quote ---

I don't disagree with this entirely, but the OP has been dating her BF for 4 years and they live together.  I am guessing that the past plays a role here, but at this point the BF needs to step up and say, "OP is here to stay - please accept that and treat her as my SO."

BeagleMommy:
OP, I think your BF should address his family by saying "It really hurts me when you forget/neglect to include OP on invitations.  I am sharing my life with her and want her to be included."

As for the other, I think you did fine by leaving if the crowd of gawkers were making you uncomfortable.  Otherwise, you could have stayed and just ignored.

Although, Evil BeagleMommy would have placed a big, wet, smackeroo of a kiss on BF after the "gross" comment.  She's bad like that.  >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version