Author Topic: Tips for Staying Sane (and slim) During a Kitchen Reno  (Read 1095 times)

heartmug

Re: Tips for Staying Sane (and slim) During a Kitchen Reno
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »
So what is King planning to cook?

One additional suggestion is to pre-brown ground beef and then freezing. It makes it easy to throw into a slow cooker.  You can do the same with beef cubes for stews. It takes up less room in the freezer than putting in a complete casserole.

That is a great idea!  Wish I would have known that before my remodel.

And the dust, as someone else mentioned.  Oh the dust!  Every day tell yourself "I am one day closer to my new kitchen."  You can get thru it.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »
Another thing I forgot about till I asked my DH what we did during our kitchen remodel, though it was only about 2-3 weeks was I made a meal plan by category for each week.  Example

Sun = Crock Pot soup or stew
Mon = Sandwiches and canned soup
Tue = Casserole from the freezer
Wed = Eat out
Thu = Salad
Fri = Red Beans & Rice or Spaghetti & Meatballs cooked in the crockpot
Sat = Eat out

Then I'd come up with a few Crockpot soup/stews like one would be a Mexican Chicken Lime Soup or Vegetable Beef or Chile. For sandwiches, one week might be Roast Beef with horseradish and French onion soup or Roasted Chicken rolled in tortillias (heat in microwave) with tomato soup.

So I had a basic menu planned for the entire time, had a good idea of what type of pantry staples I needed and wasn't stressing every night over what to eat.  And of course the days could be switched around based on what was going on during the week. 

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
Thanks everyone! Yes, he will be standing by the grill in 20 degree weather  >:D.  As to him cooking, fair is fair.  He works. I am a SAHM.  Besides, he can't cook without 10 pots and pans, 70 ingredients, 6 hours and a colossal mess...

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »
Can you get a plug-in electric ring to cook on? We had one during our remodelling and it was invaluable.