Author Topic: Grandma keeps wasting my time  (Read 2671 times)

lilblu

Grandma keeps wasting my time
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
I am so furious with my grandma right now I don't know what to do. It's not one particular thing that has me mad, it's a constant series of things that she does that has me mad. There's so many things that I can't think of them all right now. But here are a few of them:

She asks me to do things like looking up info on my computer for her. I spend hours (literally) looking it up and then she decides she doesn't need the info and goes ahead and does whatever without taking it into consideration. I've spent countless hours wasting my time for nothing, for her. This is an ongoing thing with her and it always has to be done RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW!. Last Christmas I spent eight hours looking up these specific items she wanted me to look up because she wanted to buy them as a gift for someone. I emailed her the info, but she had already changed her mind by then, without telling me. So I wasted eight hours for nothing when I had more important things to do.

Yesterday she called me and wanted me to check out something expensive she wanted to buy. I told her I didn't have my computer on and was doing something else. I actually wanted to give my computer 24 hrs of rest because it had overheated and had issues the day before. But she really wanted me to check out this item right away. So I stopped what I was doing and spent over an hour checking into it. Then she calls me and tells me her other grandkid said not to get that and to get something else. But he doesn't even know the situation with the item, so he's wrong about it. But I was really mad and still am because I wasted my time for nothing, again. I'm starting to think I should charge her $5 - $10 per hour, to be paid in advance, whenever she wants me to lookup or do stuff like this for her.

She has computer problems, I tell her not to do something and then she does it anyway, then I have to go fix the problem because she failed to listen to me in the first place. An example, her young grandson turned the computer off via the power button because the monitor went blank. The computer failed to boot up so I had to do a restore. Grandma knows better than to turn the power off like that and was upset about it. I told her not to turn the computer off via the power button when the monitor goes blank, just unplug the monitor. But she just told me that she's been turning the computer off via the power button for the past two months (despite what I told her). Now I understand why the computer isn't working properly (because she's been turning it off via the power button). So she wants me to fix the computer problem that was caused by her not listening to me in the first place. I'm not even sure how to fix the problem so that means I have to put more time into it, so I can make sure it's done correctly.

She recently invited me and my mom over to play cards. I told her my mom wouldn't be able to make it several days prior to the day she wanted to play. Grandma was disappointed because it wouldn't be as much fun with only four players. On the day she wanted to play, I fretted over whether to go because I had things to do and the weather wasn't too good, but I didn't want to leave them hanging. I ended up backing out due to the weather and the bad windshield and headlights on my car. It would have been unsafe for me to drive over there. I felt really bad about it because that would leave them with only three players. I found out later from another relative that she had previously invited three other relatives without telling me. So there I was feeling horrible because I left her with only three players, and she actually had 4-6 players.

Basically, I feel like she's inconsiderate of my time and feelings. I feel like she takes advantage of my kindness. I feel like she has no manners at all. She does nothing all day long but play video games (yes, really). She has nothing she has to do. I have things I have to do. I have responsibilities. I don't have time to waste like that. Time is a precious thing you never get back once it's gone. I don't want to keep throwing it away for nothing, and that's what she's causing me to do. She's my grandma and I feel like I should help her, but I can't take this crap anymore.

MOM21SON

Re: Grandma keeps wasting my time
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:55:40 PM »
Wow.  I guess you need to set boundries.  I am confused as to why it takes hours to look something up?  Or does it just seem like hours?