Author Topic: How to Respond  (Read 829 times)

MaryMy

How to Respond
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
I received an invite to my nieces baby shower. Kinda. My name was added to my daughters invite. (my daughter doesn't live with me) I sent my address to the mass gathering of address' that was posted on FB. I also sent a text to my sister and my niece. Of course they are not hosting the shower. I can kinda understand my daughters name being on an invite sent to me at my address. But my name added to her invite sent to her address? I am suppose to rsvp for the shower but this just feels off to me. I just don't know how or if I want to respond. Just seems off to me. What is the the correct way to respond according to etiquette?

gollymolly2

Re: How to Respond
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »
Your name is on the invitation (albeit weirdly) so you should respond. Whether the fact that it was written strangely makes you not want to go is up to you - there's no rule of etiquette requiring you to go. Personally, if I was planning on going, this wouldn't be a big enough deal to cause me to change my plans.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: How to Respond
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:16:26 PM »
You provided your address and they still invited you as a tack-on to your daughter's invitation?   ???

No, that's rude.  However ... as you pointed out, your sister and niece are not the one who issued the invitation, so even though it was "off" I wouldn't let it deter you from doing what you want to do.  If you want to attend, go and enjoy the festivities.  If you don't, just RSVP in the negative. 

It may be that they're quite young and inexperienced in how these things are supposed to be done.  So even though someone messed up by not sending you your very own invitation you should show them what 'class' looks like by sending an RSVP, either way.