Author Topic: Getting floors done-any tips? update pg 2  (Read 1083 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Getting floors done-any tips?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
When we had our floors redone (downstairs and upstairs, everywhere but the kitchen), it took several days. We did have a hobby/craft area where we could store stuff and one covered balcony. Other than that, we spent a lot of time working with the tradesmen to move our stuff around from room to room. In one case, they did half the room, while stuff was piled up in the other half and then we switched.

Pulling carpet is a no-brainer, just watch out for the tack strips since those buggers are sharp. Your biggest issues will be: 1) Disposal of the carpet and padding; and 2) Dust. Make sure you wear dust masks, especially if you're at all sensitive. A good crow-bar and a sharp utility knife are all you should need, provided the padding wasn't glued down.

I have installed laminate flooring myself and, if you're reasonably handy, it's not that tough. If you're not handy, then don't try it. The same applies to engineered hardwood. Real hardwood, linoleum, carpet and tile really need experts. Odd areas, like stairwells also need an expert.

hsz above (and other PP) have some good advice.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

DavidH

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
As others have said, pulling up carpet isn't rocket science, but it is heavy and produces a remarkable amount of dust.  If the carpet was exposed to things like pet accidents, a mask and gloves will be a good investment. 

Laying flooring you can do, if you're handy and meticulous. I've put down tile and pre-finished wood floors.  You can usually rent the tools you need at a big-box store.  It's a lot of work and if you aren't very careful it will be obvious it wasn't done by a professional, so if you can afford to have someone lay the floor, it's usually worth it.  I would never do it again if that says anything. 

Other than tile, I'd avoid putting down a new floor until the pet staining is no longer a concern.  If you have to do something, an office chair mat may help.  They also sell a plastic carpet protector which is like the strongest cling wrap imaginable that sticks to carpet.  I've quite inexpensive and could be easily removed and replaced as needed. 

If you go with real wood that needs to be stained, it takes a long time for the multiple coats to dry and you can get a line if you stop and start continuous sections.  Otherwise, doing one room at a time seems fine.   

squeakers

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »
If kitty likes the carpet cos she wants something to grab onto when pooing: save some of your old carpet, glue it/staple it to a large plastic bin lid* and slide under her potty so she can scratch and potty on it there w/o it moving much.  Keep several pieces so you can either pitch the first piece or hose it off and have a clean dry one to put back under.

If she is peeing it could be something treatable.. older animals get incontinent and they do have meds for it now.

*You could even glue a garbage bag/grocery bags to the bottom side of the carpet remnant.. anything to keep leakage away from your new flooring.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

katycoo

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
OK, we had our floors done last year with floating timber flooring.

Our home is long, front door opens onto long lounge/dining room, open doorway into kitchen, open into family room.  A hall off the side leads to bathrooms and bedrooms.  The fron lounge/dining was carpet.  The kitchen and family rooms were crappy floorboards.

We replaced all that with the new floorboards - the only rooms untouched were the bedrooms, bathroom and laundry.

It took 2 days to install the new flooring including underlay from memory.  We pulled up the carpet and old floorboards ourselves in 2 evenings.  Hard work but worth the saved money.

We moved the furniture into the bedrooms, or outside under the covered patio.  The piano we moved ourselves out into our room (trashed the floor on teh way as we rolled it on its casters, but we were getting rid of that anyway), and had a paino mover bring it back onto the new floor onto floor protectors so it won't damage the new floor.

Where is your litterbox located? Does she go near it, or just wherever?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »
UPDATE!

A company sent over a rep who would do everything, and they can do it...within a week!...and the price is quite good, based on all my research.  I read the reviews and I believe I am walking in with my eyes open.

There are SO many parts that add up.  I can order wood here, all the little parts extra there, pay here for carpet removal, pay there for installation, try and get everything to fit and agree, do some work myself, make a mess, or, choose a company that does the complete package and saves my sanity!

I will have to unhook all the electronics and move the breakable stuff, but that just makes sense.  I knew enough about types of flooring and thickness and cushioning and DH was with me.  I read every single line of the contract. 

As for the cat, the idea to save a large carpet remnant was brilliantly simple and ideal!  We have tried plastic runners for under computer chairs and she really does seem to like the carpet softness to do her business.  At least she only goes in one room, one basic area. 

I began to look around at the gathering clutter I have been accumulating and realized this is an excellent opportunity for me to de-clutter and pare down.  I can move the little knick-knacks and books to the garage and determine if they need to come back in, or if "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" wins and they can go to a second hand store/charity. 

As for removing carpet ourselves, with the almost two decades old carpeting and with what Kitty has been doing, I would pay more for the removal than the installation!  I could live with plain concrete slab as long as I do not have to touch pee'd and poo'd carpet. 

The price includes carpet removal, furniture moving and return, prepping the concrete floor, the little edging pieces, the padding, etc...There should be NO other costs.  And I can hold pretty firm and whip out my teacher voice and quote the contract if needed. 

If this company actually does what they say they will do,and I read many reviews online, then I will be a very happy customer.

So, I will let you know how it goes in a few days!

(Only put $50 down so far...)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »
UPDATE!

A company sent over a rep who would do everything, and they can do it...within a week!...and the price is quite good, based on all my research.  I read the reviews and I believe I am walking in with my eyes open.

There are SO many parts that add up.  I can order wood here, all the little parts extra there, pay here for carpet removal, pay there for installation, try and get everything to fit and agree, do some work myself, make a mess, or, choose a company that does the complete package and saves my sanity!

I will have to unhook all the electronics and move the breakable stuff, but that just makes sense.  I knew enough about types of flooring and thickness and cushioning and DH was with me.  I read every single line of the contract. 

As for the cat, the idea to save a large carpet remnant was brilliantly simple and ideal!  We have tried plastic runners for under computer chairs and she really does seem to like the carpet softness to do her business.  At least she only goes in one room, one basic area. 

I began to look around at the gathering clutter I have been accumulating and realized this is an excellent opportunity for me to de-clutter and pare down.  I can move the little knick-knacks and books to the garage and determine if they need to come back in, or if "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" wins and they can go to a second hand store/charity. 

As for removing carpet ourselves, with the almost two decades old carpeting and with what Kitty has been doing, I would pay more for the removal than the installation!  I could live with plain concrete slab as long as I do not have to touch pee'd and poo'd carpet. 

The price includes carpet removal, furniture moving and return, prepping the concrete floor, the little edging pieces, the padding, etc...There should be NO other costs.  And I can hold pretty firm and whip out my teacher voice and quote the contract if needed. 

If this company actually does what they say they will do,and I read many reviews online, then I will be a very happy customer.

So, I will let you know how it goes in a few days!

(Only put $50 down so far...)

How exciting! Great idea to save the carpet remnant.  Good luck!  I hope everything goes as smoothly as planned...

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~