Author Topic: Labels in the fridge - too much?  (Read 2463 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Labels in the fridge - too much?
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
My fridge is driving me crazy.  More specifically, people not putting things back into the fridge *where they belong* is driving me crazy.

Things just fit better and are easier to find if they are in certain places, you know?  I have glass shelves in the fridge, so I was contemplating putting lables on the underside of the shelf so you could see where the butter and eggs go, for example.  I would label the bins in the doors with things like, salad dressings, condiments, jelly, etc. I also thought an area labeled "leftovers" would be great.  If you go to put something in there and it's already occupied, throw out the old stuff first!

Is this OTT?  Has anyone else tried it and had it be successful?

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Labels in the fridge - too much?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »
If you think others in the household will follow the labeling, go for it.  But if you will be even more frustrated if they don't follow the labels, then I wouldn't do it.

It's a little CDO (like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be;)) but for this CDO person, I wouldn't think it was OTT.  But other folks might.  Maybe run it by the other members of the household before you do it?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »
Who are these people you share a fridge with - family, room mates, coworkers? It does change the approach.

It doesn't matter if it is over the top or not. What matters is that you find a solution that works for both you and the other people in your household. So, talk to them. If strict area delimitation isn't going to work, perhaps having designated shelves will be ok (a shelf for produce, a shelf for leftovers, a shelf for dairy, condiments all on the door). Unfortunately, other people don't always agree that our solutions are optimal (even though they are:)) and we have to live harmoniously with them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:29:11 AM by lady_disdain »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »
Who gets to decide "where they belong"? Maybe they are moving them because they think you have put them in the wrong place.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »
I don't think labels in the fridge is OTT so long as everyone is on board with it. 

But then, I do a freezer inventory every two weeks. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
Who are these people you share a fridge with - family, room mates, coworkers? It does change the approach.

I would find it OTT if a roommate or coworker started telling me that I *had* to put the butter on Shelf 2, and leftovers on Shelf 3, if I didn't feel like doing it that way. If you are dealing with your own family, you have more authority.

You can put up all the labels you want, but if the people sharing the fridge do not agree with your decisions on what goes where, they won't follow them. However, if everyone agrees that order must come to the uncivilized wasteland of the fridge, your idea may make your fridge much more manageable with a minimum of effort.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
I can sympathize. I've had roommates who never put anything back in the fridge in the same spot twice. It's a pain to have to hunt for the basics--eggs, butter, mayo--every single time you need them. It is just so much easier to put stuff back in the same place every time--you can find things so much more quickly.

Instead of specific places for each item to go, you might get more cooperation if you designated areas for certain types of food.

Growing up in a family of 10, some degree of order was necessary or we'd never find anything in the kitchen. We all knew which shelf on the fridge door held the salad dressings and ketchup. But we didn't always put the ketchup back in the exact same spot every time, just on the correct shelf. The cheese always went in the same drawer. Fruit was in the right  bin; vegetables in the left bin. But other stuff, the random stuff purchased for the next few meals, might go anywhere on the bottom shelf.

So maybe start small. Identify 5 or 6 things that would make a difference to you if they were always in the same spot, so you could just reach in every morning, say, and get the cream for the coffee. Label those spots and ask for the cooperation of the other people in the house in keeping just those few things in the same place all the time. Listen for their input--they might have a suggestion for a better place to keep something.

Then, if they can manage those few important things, in a few months you can work on adding a few more to the list of "always in the same spot" foods.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

joraemi

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
LOL - thanks everyone for the input!

I am sharing with my husband and three teenagers - all who seem to think that the butter goes in any available space there is when they open the door for half a second and it can be pitched in there with at least a little bit of accuracy.  kwim?

I think I mostly want lables for things that are in teh fridge all the time - butter eggs, the salad dressings and condiments, etc.  In this new fridge, if you don't put all the salad dressings together and all the condiments together, they don't fit into the bins in the doors, then they (the family) start sticking them on shelves, then the items get pushed behind other things, then I check the door to see if we have mayo and we don't, so I buy more, only to find it barricaded behind 4 other items on a shelf in the back of the fridge.

Maybe I'll run the idea past them at dinner tonight and see if they think it would be helpful in managing the contents of the fridge. Especially since y'all seem to think it's perfectly normal.  ;)

SiotehCat

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much how I do things. Not the labeling part. The part where I throw it in and put it wherever it fits. Labels wouldn't make me change that.

joraemi

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much how I do things. Not the labeling part. The part where I throw it in and put it wherever it fits. Labels wouldn't make me change that.

ROFL  ;D

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
My fridge is driving me crazy.  More specifically, people not putting things back into the fridge *where they belong* is driving me crazy.

Things just fit better and are easier to find if they are in certain places, you know?  I have glass shelves in the fridge, so I was contemplating putting lables on the underside of the shelf so you could see where the butter and eggs go, for example.  I would label the bins in the doors with things like, salad dressings, condiments, jelly, etc. I also thought an area labeled "leftovers" would be great.  If you go to put something in there and it's already occupied, throw out the old stuff first!

Is this OTT?  Has anyone else tried it and had it be successful?

I see you have visited my house.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »
Maybe ask them *why* they don't put things back where they belong? Is the bin on the door too crowded? Do they find putting things on the shelves easier?

Even for myself, I have to make putting things back fairly easy, or I just don't put them back where they belong (although I've never had this problem with food or anything else in the kitchen, for some reason). This goes for everything, not just the refrigerator. Since I've been working on making it extremely simple to put stuff back where it belongs, my house is so much neater!

It can be as simple as the bin on the door is at an awkward angle, or the shape of the bottle means that you have to fidget with it to get it in the bin. If anyone is willing to give input (I've found it very difficult to get people to explain the *why* of why they don't put stuff back where it belongs), you might find that you need to rearrange the fridge a little. But if that means that food goes back where it belongs, that's a good thing.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Arrynne

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »
We're sincerely thinking of doing the same thing with the pots and pans cabinet.  My mommy's helper has issues with putting the pans back, and it drives me bonkers.   She's very sweet and eager to please, but needs written reminders to help with certain things (like closing the dryer door so the light turns off. We leave the washer door open so it doesn't mildew, so I see where she's coming from.)

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
We're sincerely thinking of doing the same thing with the pots and pans cabinet.  My mommy's helper has issues with putting the pans back, and it drives me bonkers.   She's very sweet and eager to please, but needs written reminders to help with certain things (like closing the dryer door so the light turns off. We leave the washer door open so it doesn't mildew, so I see where she's coming from.)

We do this.

My PT housekeeper ignores them.  I've been so incredibly frustrated by this - but she'll take care of the dog at no notice, or pop over because I need someone to wait for the repairman, so I let it go.

It drives me nuts when things are in the wrong place!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »
It seems a little over the top for me but is it works for your family, that's the important thing.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.