Author Topic: Rude to post a lower price?  (Read 3806 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Rude to post a lower price?
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
I'm pretty steamed right now. 
Mr K bought several large cases of a particular children's snack that normally sell for $5 a box.  The cases contain 5 boxes.  We got them for $5 a case.  Awesome price. 
Naturally, Mr K bought too many cases, as he is prone to doing.
The cases expire in a few months and LK doesn't eat them that much (I do, but I probably shouldn't).

Anyway, I posted 2 extra cases on my local Mom2Mom facebook group for $5 a case, firm.  Basically, just asking what I paid for them.

I had some interest at first, but then someone asked where I got them from.  I told her where and what the "normal" price is and that I'm just asking what I paid for them. 
But then someone else posted that they sell for $3 a case, which isn't what I paid for them.  Now everyone has lost interest.

I found that to be intolerably rude of her!  I don't go on to her postings and say "Hey you're asking $x above what is a normal sale price for this item."  That's just rude.  At least, I think it's rude.

Is it rude?  Or am I being too sensitive?

I did reply back that "They aren't always available and they are rarely that low in price, though. Normally they are $5 a box in the grocery stores and the cases contain 5 boxes. I haven't seen them available for less than $9 in a little while. Actually, I haven't seen them at all for a little while. Anyway, I am willing to meet anyone part way if they don't want to or can't drive to where I am."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Rude to post a lower price?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
I agree, unless she is selling ones of her own at $3, she should have left it up to the other people on the list to decide if they want to pay $5 or not.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
I disagree.

I think if you're going to have open conversation about stuff like that, then you have to be ready for the negative as well as the positive.

It's business. Even if it is on the Mom to Mom group list serv.

You may have to take a loss.

CluelessBride

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
I think she was fine.

Would you have a problem if someone had posted "Great sale on cookies at store A! Only $5!"and then someone had replied with "Even better sale at store B! Only $3!"?

It's a community group, and part of that is sharing tips, advice and deals. This time your deal wasn't the best and someone pointed it out. I don't think there is rudeness on either side.

dawbs

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Someone else gave the information.  Apparently accurate information, that they, in her area, go on sale for a different price.

This is part of what 'doing business' in a community setting involves. 

suzieQ

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
We routinely eat stuff past the expiration date - if it smells good and tastes good (and isn't crazy past the date - like a year!) you may be able to eat it all if you are unable to sell it.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »
I don't see ir as rude.  If people can get a better price, there's nothing wrong with sharing that information.

Knitterly

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
So, if you were to post your child's used clothing on sale for $1 an item and someone were to post on your specific for-sale post that "children's clothing is on sale at Used Children's Clothes for $0.50 an item right now!" You'd generally be okay with that?  It's one thing to post a great sale, but it's another thing to do it on someone else's listing.

See, I see it as "Don't buy this person's stuff!"  And I still can't help but think it's rude.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, her information is outdated.  The store in question did sell for that very low price once, and quite a while ago.  The price hasn't been that low in months, and many stores don't carry the cases of this item, only the boxes.

Snooks

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »
I know you've already replied once but I'd be tempted to post again with "Where did you find it at that price?  I hope they're still selling it for that when LK gets through our backlog.  I'd best not tell DH or we'll be over stocked again!  I've still got x cases here up for grabs for $5 each".  I don't think she's rude but equally I'd want her to back up her statement with facts (or a weblink).

dawbs

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
So, if you were to post your child's used clothing on sale for $1 an item and someone were to post on your specific for-sale post that "children's clothing is on sale at Used Children's Clothes for $0.50 an item right now!" You'd generally be okay with that?  It's one thing to post a great sale, but it's another thing to do it on someone else's listing.

See, I see it as "Don't buy this person's stuff!"  And I still can't help but think it's rude.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, her information is outdated.  The store in question did sell for that very low price once, and quite a while ago.  The price hasn't been that low in months, and many stores don't carry the cases of this item, only the boxes.

Someone didn't randomly wander into the post and start offering different information--Someone ASKED, someone answered.

And, no...I do sell things through some message boards and if I post X for sale at $7.00 and someone else says "well, they're available at your local Target for $6.50, I'd probably take it as a hint to lower my price. 

Unless something is incredibly, absurdly, ridiculously hard-to find, it's unusual to pay, through a private individual/through the used/messageboard market, the same as one could purchase an item for new.  I would be surprised if you didn't have to take a loss.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
I don't think it is rude but they might want to check her info before making a decision. That is on them, though, not her. To her you were letting them know about a deal on x, dhe let them k.ow abour an even better deal. Her motives don'y seem self-serving, they jusy srrved the interests of the group as opposed to you.

And I do agree one option would be lowering the price. The person who is really responsible for this situation is the person who overbought, not her.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
It would probably annoy me, like she was trying to hijack your thread.  I might post a very cheery-sounding rebuttal to her 'claim', and possibly edit your original post if you could, just so people don't see her post and then not read any further to see your rebuttal.
Rebuttal: "Wow!  $3 for a case does sound like a good deal!  Wish I'd gotten them that cheap!  I looked into it, though, and that $3 deal was actually several months ago, so the going rate now is still $XX for a case or $XX for a box.  If anyone wants to check it out yourself, here's the website: XXXX."

Original post: "Addendum: A kind poster has pointed out that these did sell for a lesser price at one time, but that was several months ago during a special sale.  My price is the best deal that I've found lately, which is why we bought too many boxes!  So does anyone need some XXX snack at a great price?  Let me know!"

**I know I'm being generous with the 'kind poster' bit, but you can catch more flies with honey.....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »
If the other poster either had some of the item that she was willing to sell for $3/case OR included a link to where they could be found for $3/case right now, I'd still be annoyed but it might make me lower my price.

What this person did, posting something vague, I think was rude.  And there is no way I'd lower the price.  I'd donate them to the food bank first.  But then, I'm stubborn like that and a few bucks either way doesn't break my budget.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
Sometimes people are helpful in pointing out when you can get things for a lower price. Sometimes, they're not.

I was in an electronic store buying a CD player, when a stranger came up to me and, with a rather superior air, told me I could get the same player for less at a competing store. Well, yes, I probably could - but the manager of THIS store was a pall bearer for my father, and I wasn't going to go to Big Box store over him. Not something I wanted to explain to a stranger, but he seemed miffed I didn't immediately put the player back, and run out to the other store.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Knitterly

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
If the other poster either had some of the item that she was willing to sell for $3/case OR included a link to where they could be found for $3/case right now, I'd still be annoyed but it might make me lower my price.

What this person did, posting something vague, I think was rude.  And there is no way I'd lower the price.  I'd donate them to the food bank first.  But then, I'm stubborn like that and a few bucks either way doesn't break my budget.

Pretty much!  I'm not lowering my items to the price she quoted.  It's a ridiculous price.  Heck, it's a sale price for a single box of the snacks, forget an entire case of them.   I figured, hey, I got these items on sale, they aren't priced that low anymore, I'm not going to use them, might as well pass the savings on to someone else.

If anyone is wondering, the snacks are baby mum-mums.