Author Topic: Rude to post a lower price?  (Read 3718 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Rude to post a lower price?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
What if the woman has a similar item she'd like to sell, so by scuttling the OP's sale, she can post hers up a few days later? That's why it's politer to approach in public first, unless you are going to back up your claim with evidence (a link to the website- a flyer, etc). It sounds like the OP *did* have interest until people were told they were being "overcharged", but from teh sounds of it they aren't. Basically it sounds like it probably played out like this.

OP: I have X item for sale- $5
Poster1 : I'll take one
Poster2: I'll take three.
Poster3: You can buy X item for $3 at Derpmart.
Poster1 and 2: Nevermind, we'll buy them at Derpmart, thanks anyways OP.

Then Poster 1 and 2 go to Derpmart- and they aren't on sale anymore, but it's probably just easier to shrug and buy them full price than risk that the OP has gotten rid of them, or remember to go back online and look for the post.

Let's not make stuff up.

The OP didn't say that there was any actual offer.

Rohanna

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
Sorry, I assumed "interest" meant people saying they'd like one. I'm not "making stuff up" as much as I'm trying to reframe the conversation to show HOW posting an unsubstantiated and, from the sounds of it, completely unavailable price can be a problem. Change it to "I *might* take one" if that makes it easier for you. I'm just saying it is rather rude to just "drop a bomb" onto someone's sale without backing it up. If someone was about to sign a cell phone contract and I walked past and said loudly "That phone is $100 dollars cheaper at the other end of the mall" - and I'm not right- that's rather nasty to do to the salesman, isn't it.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
I agree, I think it's rude to drop the bomb without backing it up.

but if the deal is as great as it's supposed to be, the seller ought to be able to substantiate that.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »

but if the deal is as great as it's supposed to be, the seller ought to be able to substantiate that.

I thought I understood the OP to say that the poster did say that $3/case price was at the same location that she stated that she got the $5/case snacks and that the OP has seen them for that price once before.  I believe the OP even tried to clarify that in her response on how the normal price is $5/box and that sometimes the stores don't even carry the snacks.

I still think that the poster thought she was being helpful, even though I understand why the OP was angered by her post. 

Also, if I fault the poster for anything, it would be for innaccurate information.  I'm guessing she saw the snacks cheaper and without making sure that she had the correct and latest info, she posted what she 'knew"...and she was wrong.  I don't think she had ill intentions (at least not likely), just misinformation. The OP had a chance to clarify the price and I think can still further clarify the price if she chooses to.

Iris

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »

Genuinely curious, but I don't really follow this bit. I mean Knitterly stated the price, where it was from, what the usual prices are etc. That to me would be providing evidence that it is a good deal or at least giving me enough information that I can research it further. I don't think that she should be able to prove that it has never been sold anywhere at all at a lower price. In fact I assume that's not what you mean, but I'm confused as to what you do mean.

In a real life shop if I am looking at a product the sales person may say "We price match and this is the best deal currently available to our knowledge." Some random stranger walking past may add "I saw that $100 cheaper one time" which may well be true, but it's not helpful and I don't know how the salesperson could come back to that, other than challenging the person to prove it which seems a little aggressive, or simply reiterating "Well, this is the deal we have now and I assure you it is the best currently available."
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Bluenomi

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
$5 for a case of Mum mums! I'd that them off your hands for that price (expect postage to Aus would be insane)  ;D

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
I also think the poster was rude. To me, her wording kind of suggested that the OP was trying to rip people off!

I agree with PPs who say that stating factual information would have been ok. Eg "ABC Store is currently selling these at $3 per case". But this wasn't the case.

OP, I would have been annoyed too, and I think you were perfectly fine in posting your rebuttal. I hope you manage to make a sale, after this.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »
It just occurred to me that she might have thought that with some interest more than one or two people might want cheap cases, while OP had a limited supply and she was thinking about people who might miss out on OP's.