Author Topic: How to avoid someone unpleasant and make the least amount of waves....  (Read 5443 times)

greencat

Re: How to avoid someone unpleasant and make the least amount of waves....
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
When she asks you to do anything when you are off duty:

"I'm sorry, I just clocked out, and I can't perform any work off the clock, as that's a liability issue for the company."

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
I'm guessing that the computer/footstool is not the actual situation, but whatever the "footstool" item is, would it be possible to place one close to the "computers" permanently so that Nasty Customer can easily get it for herself?  I'd consider this a reasonable accommodation for a handicapped person, no matter how I felt about them.

As for the fan, I wouldn't turn it off if someone if someone else had it on, but once it was off, I wouldn't turn it on for someone if I wanted it off.  A simple "I'd prefer to have it off" will suffice.  In an employee / patron situation, however, I'd turn it on for the patron.  No personal interaction is required. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

SiotehCat

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
I wouldn't give her anything more then a simple "no". Its a complete sentence, I hear.

MrTango

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »

"I'm sorry, I just clocked out, and I can't perform any work off the clock , as that's a liability issue for the company."

I don't think the OP needs to explain her refusal beyond "I'm off the clock."

People are always saying not to "J.A.D.E."

Only me

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »
HI

I think you have to be really careful about this, especically if you do work for the company. Although I agree if you're on your own time, its your time.

Ok I can see something like this happening where I work p/t retail. When I am going from my work station to clock out, I have to cross teh whole store (think large retailer), I can't tell you how many people see me with the smock on and ask a question or ask for help. I still get away with "Sorry I'm not familar with this section, but let me try to find someone (or I point out someone if I can see the proper associate on duty". (Really no big deal for me, but I"m in a bit different situation.

I hoep that just saying No will do it, or Sorry I'm in the middle of something. The problem is that off duty or not, you work there, she knows it and she's going to complain anyways from the sounds of it. I wish you much luck and look forward to seeing what will work for you.

ONlyme

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
"I am off duty right now and need to use the computer.... the people at the reference desk can help you though."
Hopefully by the time she gets there and back you will be done!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »
HI

I think you have to be really careful about this, especically if you do work for the company. Although I agree if you're on your own time, its your time.

I hoep that just saying No will do it, or Sorry I'm in the middle of something. The problem is that off duty or not, you work there, she knows it and she's going to complain anyways from the sounds of it. I wish you much luck and look forward to seeing what will work for you.

It does sound like the OP's boss wouldn't give that complaint any credence, however; so I don't think the OP needs to worry about it overly.

I'd worry more about seeming rude to other onlookers.

So maybe say, "I only have a few minutes to finish this. Maybe someone else can help you."

GrammarNerd

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I do like the idea of seeing if we can place the footstools closer.  Right now, there's a rack of footstools, but it's movable.  I should see if we can do that.  But right now, it's kind of out of the way, so if we move it permanently, it might partially obstruct a walkway.  Hmmm....I'll scope it out today.

Since the situation with the computers and the footstool is one that I made up to camouflage the real situation, I should clarify that the real 'computer' thing is something that I would generally only be doing as relaxation or off-time, not something that I HAD to be doing.  Perhaps I should say that the computer is really a gaming system, so therefore I would be playing games.  And because me being there  playing games on the gaming system doesn't seem like I'm doing anything crucial, it's sort of harder to refuse to do the 'favor' for NastyLady when she asks (and could potentially look bad if others are thinking 'oh, why won't she help the poor disabled lady?')

I really give her too much head space, I know.  But it's so annoying to me that she's ALWAYS there, and I can't just pop over to the computer/game system for a bit of relaxation right after I'm done working without having to deal with her.  I don't mind chatting with other people at all--I like it!--but I just don't want to deal with her.  At all.  But she kind of forces herself on you, you know?

MrTango

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:16 AM »
OP, I still think you're fine with telling her (once) that you're off the clock and then just don't respond to her, even if you're actively having a conversation with others.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
I see nothing wrong in just saying "no" and if she continues to ask or rant, then ignore, ignore, ignore. 

Since you are concerned about how the onlookers will take it, you can be a bit more polite in the 'no' but you still have every right to say no. Plus, she is quite rude in interupting you to begin with!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
well, with games, you sometimes can't just stop in the middle. My vote: put earbuds in. Even if they're not actually hooked up to something.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »
Hmm. I feel like I'm missing a bit of the situation, but I understand the need to change details to avoid detection. I guess my first suggestion is, don't spend your leisure time there, when you know Nasty Woman could pop in the door at any moment. I don't know how realistic that is, and it certainly isn't fair; but the best way to avoid someone unpleasant (as the subject says) is to simply not be in a location they're likely to be in. It sounds like, in one story, you were trying to leave as soon as you saw her enter, but as you related, it didn't actually work well because you had to walk by her in order to leave, and she tried to get you to assist her. As it appears there's only one exit you can use, which she would likely be standing by, the easiest thing to do is to leave before she shows up.

Is there any kind of front desk she would have to pass, such that someone could send you a quick text if they see her coming? Even if you don't have time to actually leave, perhaps you could duck into a back room, then skirt the edge of the room once she's entered and moved away from the door. It's a little Mission: Impossible but might work for the occasional awkward situation.

If you must encounter her while off-duty, I like the idea of saying something like, "Oh, I'm so sorry, but as I'm off-duty, I'm not allowed to do XYZ due to the liability. I'm sure someone else here can help you, though." And then walk away quickly. If it's just you and Nasty Woman, you could say something more abrupt; but the longer form might assure nearby patrons that you aren't being purposefully unhelpful. Also, of course, you should avoid helping anyone once you're off-duty, not just Nasty Woman, because otherwise it will become clear that you only pull out the "liability" card for her.

As it sounds like this is not a business that can bar Nasty Woman from being a patron, maybe your boss could discuss with all employees ways to deal with unpleasant patrons? It would probably be a good general plan to have, if everyone knows they can use the "liability" excuse, other on-duty employees are keeping an eye out for them, etc..
~Lynn2000

BeagleMommy

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
Keep it simple.  "No, I'm off the clock.".  Nothing else necessary.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »

"I'm sorry, I just clocked out, and I can't perform any work off the clock, as that's a liability issue for the company."

The bolded is all you need to say, or maybe, "I'm sorry, I'm off the clock, and the company does not allow us to work off the clock."

Using this, you can tell her no, and other patrons will think nothing of it. I wouldn't use the word liability, your SS may take it and run with it in the wrong direction.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »
I think you need to be careful because even though you're officially off-duty, you're still a representative of the company.  I disagree that other patrons will think nothing of it.  I think that unless they know you personally, and know why you dislike this woman, you're just going to look like someone who can't be bothered to help someone in need unless you're getting paid to do it.  That's not exactly the kind of thing a business wants its customers to see.

I think that if you really and truly just cannot abide this woman at all, you're going to have to stop hanging out at your place of business when you're not working.  Otherwise you risk looking heartless and unprofessional to people who don't know the situation (which should be most people).